Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Neighbor's Orbi Satellite in My Network - How to Block?

John_Black
Follower

Neighbor's Orbi Satellite in My Network - How to Block?

I noticed a random satellite in my network a couple days ago.  I've named my Orbi satellites, so I thought maybe ths phantom satellite was one of the satellite's original names before I renamed them.

Did some Googling and found some instructions that said to log in to web browser admin page, navigate and delete the inactive satellite.  The satellite was inactive and I could delete it.  This seemingly validated my thinking it was software glitch and one of my satellite was just listed in the network twice.

Turns out, that's not the case.  I was running a speed test and noticed this ghost satellite was back in the network.  Grr...  I clicked on the satellite and I can see its serial number and MAC address.  then checked my satellites serial numbers & MAC addresses.  There were different.  Eventually, I figured out It's my neighbor's Orbi satellite and somehow it has appended itself to my network.

At this point there was no option to delete because devices were attached to it.  So desperate measures.  I reset my router and set up an entirely new WiFi network - new SSID.  New password.  Left my satellites unplugged and selected the option to add them later (following the steps in the iOS app).  Despite clicking not to add satellites, neighbor's satellite showed up again.  The app scans for satellites, found his, and added it again...

I enabled controlled access and tried to add his satellite's MAC address as a blocked device.  Fail...  The since the satellite is already joined, I got a message back "duplicate MAC address"...

How do I get his satellite off my network???  Surely the smart engineers at NetGear realized that two homes on the same street might buy NetGear WiFi stuffs... right...?...

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Neighbor's Orbi Satellite in My Network - How to Block?

The neighbor cannot be very far away, and would probably appreciate knowing that their expensive Orbi satellite is not connected to their Orbi router.  Maybe a short walk around, "Hi, I'm Bob.  I just bought a Netgear Orbi and am having problems with it.  What kind of WiFi do you have?  Oh, really.  You have an Orbi also?"

Or, abandon the "app" and use the web interface.  Do another factory reset.  Select to add satellites later.  Put the MAC address in the Blocked Devices table before adding any satellites.

Message 2 of 4
ekhalil
Master

@John_Black wrote:

............  I reset my router and set up an entirely new WiFi network - new SSID.  New password.  Left my satellites unplugged and selected the option to add them later (following the steps in the iOS app).  Despite clicking not to add satellites, neighbor's satellite showed up again.  The app scans for satellites, found his, and added it again...

The neighbour's satellite has your backhaul's password so it will always manage to connect to your router unless either (1) the satellite is factory reset or (2) you change your backhaul password:

1. You can factory reset a "remote" satellite by telneting to it and keying the following commands:
    • config default
    • config commit
    • reboot
  2. You can generate a new backhaul password in the web GUI under >> ADVANCED >> Advanced >> Wireless Settings >>

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try generate new PW for the RBS on the RBR. This would cause you to re-sync your RBS again. However it should stop the neighbors RBS from connecting to yours. 

Have you taked to your neighbor about his orbi system. Maybe have him re-sync his RBS to his RBR to ensure it's connected? He may not realize it's no longer connected to his system. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7