Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Neither the Orbi, nor my NAS is reachable over WiFi. They are over Ethernet

alokeprasad
Mentor

Neither the Orbi, nor my NAS is reachable over WiFi. They are over Ethernet

Starting a new discussion thread on this problem.

The web interface to the Orbi (192.168.1.1/index.htm) or my NAS (192.168.1.11:8080/cgi-bin/) are not reachable when my MacBook is on WiFi.  The web browser times out. All File Shares on the NAS are unavailable as well.  

Both the Orbi and the NAS are reachable and work fine when I connect my Mac to Ethernet via a dock.

Any idea what is going on?

Is there a setting on the Orbi that changes the connections depending on wired vs wireless access? I have attached a screenshot of my Orbi settings.

The NAS forum folks ask me to check the router settings, so I am starting here.. And the problem IS occurring with the access to the Orbi.. so seems reasonable.

Notes:

This happens in Chrome and Firefox (on the Mac).

This happens regardless of the Firewall on or off on the Mac.

I am using IP addresses, so it is not a DNS issue... right?

Other web sites (news, YouTube etc) work fine when I am on WiFi.

While this is not a big deal in my home office (with the dock), it sucks when I am using the laptop elsewhere in the house!!

Aloke

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Neither the Orbi, nor my NAS is reachable over WiFi. They are over Ethernet

My experience with the Netgear RBR50 (I have one) is that 'wired' devices are not treated differently from 'WiFi' devices.  They both use DHCP to receive IP assignments, subnet masks, gateway IPs and DNS IPs.  Every device connected to the primary WiFi SSID can communicate with every other device.  Devices connected to the Guest WiFi SSID may be restricted to internet access only (not able to communicate with other devices on the network).

Sometimes it is helpful to validate assumptions.  When connected to the network with an Ethernet cable, it is obvious which network the device is part of.  How do we establish that the MacBook is connected to the Orbi WiFi?

• Does it appear in the web interface Attached Devices? (or the Orbi 'app' Device Manager)
  • Does the WiFi connection have an IP address in the 192.168.1.x subnet?
  • Does the WiFi connection display the primary WiFi SSID or the Guest SSID?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

My experience with the Netgear RBR50 (I have one) is that 'wired' devices are not treated differently from 'WiFi' devices.  They both use DHCP to receive IP assignments, subnet masks, gateway IPs and DNS IPs.  Every device connected to the primary WiFi SSID can communicate with every other device.  Devices connected to the Guest WiFi SSID may be restricted to internet access only (not able to communicate with other devices on the network).

Sometimes it is helpful to validate assumptions.  When connected to the network with an Ethernet cable, it is obvious which network the device is part of.  How do we establish that the MacBook is connected to the Orbi WiFi?

• Does it appear in the web interface Attached Devices? (or the Orbi 'app' Device Manager)
  • Does the WiFi connection have an IP address in the 192.168.1.x subnet?
  • Does the WiFi connection display the primary WiFi SSID or the Guest SSID?

Message 2 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@alokeprasad wrote:

While this is not a big deal in my home office (with the dock), it sucks when I am using the laptop elsewhere in the house!!

Is this independent of where the laptop does connect to wireless - like any RBS50 or the RBR50? I guess it isn't.

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@CrimpOn wrote:

When connected to the network with an Ethernet cable, it is obvious which network the device is part of.

In case there is a wired backhaul connecting RBR50 and RBS50 likely (not very likely, it's still a bridging environment). In case the RBR50 does also direct connect the docking station and the NAS it is. In case the RBS are on a wireless backhaul it isn't that obvious.

Message 4 of 6
alokeprasad
Mentor

Thank you all for very good ideas on tracking this down.

CrimpOn, I reach across the interwebs and shake your hand for winning the Sherlock Holmes medal 😀

My (new and first) Macbook was connecting to the guest network by default!!! 

When setting up my new MacBook, I entered the credentials for the "regular" non-guest SSID.  However, when signing on yto my AppleID, as with all Apple devices in the walled garden, the Macbook got the credentials for all networks from my other devices like iPhone and iPad.  For some reason, it selected the guest network to connect to after that.  This did not affect the wired connection behavior.

I switched it to the non-Guest network and bingo! Problem fixed.

This was an interesting journey.. first with selective networking, wired vs Wifi behavior, encrypted DNS behavior, then finally, Guest vs non-Guest WiFi connections.  Thank you all for staying with me through this.

Moral: there is no such thing as "set it and forget it" when it comes to IT!! There is a curveball around every corner (mixing metaphors).

Aloke

Message 5 of 6
alokeprasad
Mentor

To close a few other questions: This was in the same room as the RBR. The docking station is connected (through a switch) to the RBR.

Avoiding the guest network (I have removed it from my Apple ecosystem fro all apple devices) should take care of it.

Aloke 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7