Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear AC1000 WiFi Router Model R6080 and Netgear Orbi Whole Home Mesh WiFi System (RBK13) 1 Router

mikobell
Aspirant

Netgear AC1000 WiFi Router Model R6080 and Netgear Orbi Whole Home Mesh WiFi System (RBK13) 1 Router

I have a Spectrum router and a Netgear WiFi router.  I recently bought a Netgear Orbi Whole Home Mesh WiFi Syster (RBK13) 1 router and 2 satellites.  I've spent half the day tyring to get the Orbi up and running but I am not having any luck.  Can both the Netgear wifi router and the Orbi mesh system be used together?  Every time I think I have Orbi working, I get an error message on the Orbi app "WiFi router not supported R6080".

I have a 1600sq ft house and I'm trying to get WiFi in my backyard for my security camera and we also have sporadic wifi service in our back room.

Is there a way to get both of these working?  I'm not very tech savy so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear AC1000 WiFi Router Model R6080 and Netgear Orbi Whole Home Mesh WiFi System (RBK13) 1 Ro

Its recommended to remove the R series router and connect up the RBK system to the ISP modem.

Or turn OFF the wifi radios on the R series router and configure AP mode on the RBK system. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear AC1000 WiFi Router Model R6080 and Netgear Orbi Whole Home Mesh WiFi System (RBK13) 1 Ro

Its recommended to remove the R series router and connect up the RBK system to the ISP modem.

Or turn OFF the wifi radios on the R series router and configure AP mode on the RBK system. 

Message 2 of 6
mikobell
Aspirant

Thank you for the response.  I work from home so I will have to try this out this weekend as I don't want it to mess up my work computer.

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@mikobell wrote:

Every time I think I have Orbi working, I get an error message on the Orbi app "WiFi router not supported R6080".

This error is probably caused by the Orbi app being connected to the R6080 WiFi network, probing "where is the Orbi???", and finding the R6080 instead.

It would be useful to know how many devices are connected to the R6080 router's Ethernet ports.

• The R6080 has four Ethernet ports for user devices, and
  • The RBR10 router has only one.

If you have no more than one device connected to the R6080, then @FURRYe38 is totally "spot on".  Replace the R6080 with the new RBR10 router and configure it with exactly the same WiFi SSID/password as the R6080 had. Problem solved.

If there is more than one device connected to the R6080, the situation gets more complicated.  Personally, I would order an inexpensive 8-port switch from Amazon. Plug one port into the RBR10 and use the other seven for user devices.  (That's (a) more money, and (b) a delay of two days.)

Another solution is to keep the R6080 and connect the RBR10 router to it.  There will be a complicated dance of

• Keeping the RBK13 system on its default SSID/password until after it is up and working (which should keep the Orbi app from finding the R6080).
  • After it is working, disable the WiFi radio on the R6080.
  • Then, switch the RBR10 into Access Point (AP) mode (so there is only one network and those Ethernet devices are on the same IP subnet as the Orbi WiFi devices.)
  • Then, change the Orbi WiFi SSID/password to exactly what the R6080 WiFi was before.

Phew.  Not nearly as simple as putting the R6080 in a closet.

•  
Message 4 of 6
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello mikobell,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

Once you get your Orbi Mesh System running it will help to use the same network name and password as your current network to avoid having to connect all your devices one at a time.  

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 5 of 6
mikobell
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply.  I did remove my R6080 and connected the ORBI and had a time getting the satellites to connect.  Finally got them connected but we could not connect to the internet while outside the house (garage, backyard).  Have decided to box it up and return it and look for another product that will extend outside.

Thank you for you help.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7