Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear AC3200 WiFi cable modem router model C7800

NorxKidsMama
Follower

Netgear AC3200 WiFi cable modem router model C7800

I have a netgear AC3200 WiFi cable modem router model C7800 and Orbi RBK53 router with 2 satellites. I’m trying to create a mesh network (Orbi says it covers 7500 sqft and I need a large area covered). When setting up the Orbi in the app, it will not configure the router.
Is it not possible to use both of these devices at the same time? Should I return the netgear modem router combo and just get a regular modem?
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Netgear AC3200 WiFi cable modem router model C7800

The "app" may be confused because there are two Netgear systems and it gets connected to the C7800 and says, "Hey, this is not an Orbi!"

The C7800 combines a DOCSIS 3.1 modem (wonderful) with WiFi and router functions.  Either the Orbi or the C7800 should be set up as a router, not both.  And, most people will disable the WiFi on the C7800 in favor of the Orbi.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a way to solve this problem with the "app".

The easiest thing to do is disconnect the Orbi from the C7800, turn it on and log in using either a computer with an ethernet cord or using WiFi.  Use a web browser and the Orbi web interface, which is probably at IP 192.168.1.1.  Since it has not been set up yet, the admin user ID should be "admin" and the password "password".  Navigate to the Advanced Tab->Advanced Setup -> Router / AP mode, and set the Orbi to Access Point (AP) mode.  The C7800 will handle all of the IP assignments, port forwarding, VPN, etc. and the Orbi will provide a large WiFi network.  Most people elect to turn off the C7800 WiFi to keep the radios from interfering with each other.

After setting the Orbi to AP mode, turn it off.  Reconnect to the router and power up the Orbi.  It will get an IP address from the C7800, which will most likely NOT be 192.168.1.1  One of  the management tables on the C7800 will show which IP it gave to the Orbi.  Then, you can connect to the Orbi web interface and complete the setup (change WiFi names - I would match exactly the WiFi and password of the C7800 so that all of your devices will connect automatically).

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear AC3200 WiFi cable modem router model C7800

What Firmware is currently loaded?

I have my RBK50 setup in AP mode with my C7800 currently. 

You can bridge the C7800 as well and use it as a modem only and the use the RBR in router mode. Look for Router mode. Yes or No. Select No for Modem only mode. 

@NorxKidsMama wrote:
I have a netgear AC3200 WiFi cable modem router model C7800 and Orbi RBK53 router with 2 satellites. I’m trying to create a mesh network (Orbi says it covers 7500 sqft and I need a large area covered). When setting up the Orbi in the app, it will not configure the router.
Is it not possible to use both of these devices at the same time? Should I return the netgear modem router combo and just get a regular modem?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7