Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Orbi Drops Connection When Third Satellite Is Enabled

Netgear Orbi Drops Connection When Third Satellite Is Enabled

Hello,

I am having trouble with my Netgear Orbi system. This is what's going on: I have a three satelite system, two of the satelites are synchronized and work perfectly fine. However, when I enable the thirs satelite, this causes my two devices that connect to that satelite (A Dell XPS Laptop running Windows 10 and a  desktop iMac running OS X High Sierra) to be booted offline at random times, there is no pattern to it it just happens randomly. It seems strange that the other two satelites would work perfectly fine, but the third one would cause certain devices to be booted offline, I tried both just turning it on and letting it find the other two by itself and manually synchronizing it and the same thing happens. The firmware version is the latest, V2.1.2.18. Thank you very much in advance.

Model: RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear Orbi Drops Connection When Third Satellite Is Enabled

How big is your home? Sq Ft? 

Try disabling Daisy Chain and see. 

What is the distance between the router and your Satellites. 

Message 2 of 9

The property is two sepearate houses. The other two orbi satelites are in the opposite house about 60 ft away. The one that's having trouble is in my house which is about 60 feet away from the other two satelites. I can connect to the other two satelites fine from my computer, but it's only when I turn the third satelite over here on that this error happens. Thank you very much.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

60 ft maybe to far. 

Have you tried connecting the 3rd Satellite with in 30 feet just to see if it will connect or drop everything? 

You might turn OFF the other two and do a quick test to see if this 3rd Satellite will connect with the router alone. 

Message 4 of 9

No, however I can connect to the other two orbi satelites from the 60 feet waya perfectly fine. It seems strange that I would be able to connect to the other two satelites fine but the third satelite could not, also what happens is the third staelite synchronizes perfectly fine and shows up on the network and then this starts randomly happening. 

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Possibly there is a problem with having a 3rd satellie online or the distance to too far for a 3rd. If the 3rd is coming online and randomly, then either a problem with distance, HW or FW. 

You might swap out Satelites with this one to see if it works in place were the others are working. If so, then this maybe a distance issue or handling in FW. 

Unfortunately there isn't a new Beta for 40 series units yet. There should be something up coming soon. You could phone contact with NG support and ask them about this. Ask them about a Beta to test. Also ask about how many Satellites can be connected to one router. 

Message 6 of 9

Thank you all very much for the replies.

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if any of the suggestions help with this...

Message 8 of 9
st_shaw
Master

@thatoneandonly wrote:

Thank you all very much for the replies.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see you describe where the Orbi router sits in your setup.  This is a critical detail to understanding what's happening.  The behavior you describe makes perfect sense if the router is in the other house closer to the two working satellites.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7