Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Orbi RBK50 not getting full speeds on Wifi

HussainMehboob
Follower

Netgear Orbi RBK50 not getting full speeds on Wifi

Hi,

This has probably been raised earlier on this forum about the internet speeds through wifi with orbi mesh. I am in a similar situation but i have tried quite few things already and nothing seems to be working for me. Wondering if someone can help me.

So basically, I have got Hey broaband ONT device (Adtran SDX 611) connected with my Orbi mesh. If i run the speed tests using the network cable connected to Orbi i get around 930mbps download and 930mbps upload. But if i run the speed test through wifi on my phone or laptop, I don't get anything more then 450mpbs download and upload. I have tried the following on orbi router abut the internet stops working.

- Changed IPv4 and IPv6 setting to  PPPoE by using the login information from HeyBroadband.

-  Enabled VLAN / Bridge group

Is there anything else i can do to have same speeds on wifi and cable.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Netgear Orbi RBK50 not getting full speeds on Wifi

@HussainMehboob wrote:

But if i run the speed test through wifi on my phone or laptop, I don't get anything more then 450mpbs download and upload.

WiFi speeds are never as fast as Ethernet connected speed. 450mbs is about the maximum that can be expected.

There are tons of article on the internet describing the factors that affect WiFi throughput, from simplistic "seat of the pants" explanations to "Alice down the rabbit hole": https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/realistic-speeds-wi-fi-5-and-wi-fi-6 

RBK50 is a WiFi5 system, which makes any discussion of WiFi6 irrelevant.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Netgear Orbi RBK50 not getting full speeds on Wifi

@HussainMehboob wrote:

But if i run the speed test through wifi on my phone or laptop, I don't get anything more then 450mpbs download and upload.

WiFi speeds are never as fast as Ethernet connected speed. 450mbs is about the maximum that can be expected.

There are tons of article on the internet describing the factors that affect WiFi throughput, from simplistic "seat of the pants" explanations to "Alice down the rabbit hole": https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/realistic-speeds-wi-fi-5-and-wi-fi-6 

RBK50 is a WiFi5 system, which makes any discussion of WiFi6 irrelevant.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7