Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Orbi Wired Speed Madness

Antipodeansam7
Apprentice

Netgear Orbi Wired Speed Madness

Hey All,

So this problem has been driving me mad, I have had ongoing issues with the Orbi since day 1. The biggest of all is that I have a gigabit connection but I get no consistent speed test results for wired or wirless connections. 

If I run at speed test in the Orbi Login app on my wired ethernet desktop I get speeds of 500mbps, if I do it on the orbi app on my phone I get similar results. If I run a speed test using the browser or windows app (Ookla/Fast) I never get more than 330mpbs. If I then run a speed test using the Ookla app on my Iphone 11 right placed right next to the router I get speeds of 650mbps. This is not just a few tests, this is months of testing with all be it inconsistent numbers, the low speed on the router admin page (desktop and iphone), the even lower speed on the wired ethernet and then fastest speeds on wifi. 

I have up to date firmware (network drivers and Orbi)/Satelitte, daisy chain disabled, Orbi is running in Router mode, no traffic meter enabled, have changed ethernet cables (Cat 6). Network card is gigabit capable, orange light is solid on the ethernet port and 1000mbs speeds enabled in settings.

So my questions... How can the wireless speed be faster than what the router is recieving (assuming the admin page speed test is calculating what it is getting directly?!). Is 650mbps over wifi directly next to the router about right or a little low? Any ideas? And yes I know those speeds are all pretty good for what I am using them for, but I would like to get at least close to the gigabit connection I am paying for over my wired connection. 

Thanks in advance

Sam

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Orbi Wired Speed Madness

1. what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

2. what speeds do you get directly connected to the modem?

3. what firmware are you actually on? 

4. what device are you testing on wired? 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7