Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Orbi and setting up a Moca network...

truefan34
Tutor

Netgear Orbi and setting up a Moca network...

I used to have Verizon Fios and the Quantum Router.  I have gigabit internet, and now I just have internet service (so I know my coax is run and moca compatible). 

I currently have the Netgear Orbi ac3000 system, and it's pretty good.  I'm looking into setting up a MOCA network though for increased speed/lower latency while still having a robust wifi network.  I saw these:

actiontec moca bonded 2.0 adapters

I'm wondering if I can still keep my Orbi system as is, and have one of these adapters plugged into a gigabit ethernet port on the back of the router and the coax into the adapter to provide wired ethernet over coax.  I don't want to use the quantum router, but i guess i could if i needed to.  Again i only have internet service so i don't care about any tv features or anything.  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear Orbi and setting up a Moca network...

You might contact the Mfr of this adatper to see if it will work with home class routers...I presume it should work. You could hook up a external network switch that would help...

Message 2 of 7
truefan34
Tutor

Good idea. Yeah I mean if I could keep the orbi and have a moca backbone that’d be ideal for my home. Could hardwire in every room without running Ethernet line.
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

Message 4 of 7
GadgetVirtuoso2
Apprentice

This is what I have setup at my house. Since I'm renting I couldn't run ethernet everywhere but I can use the COAX to hardwire things that can't be wireless. I've had this setup on two generations of Airport Extremes and now Orbi without an issue. I currently have AT&T FIber but I did have this setup when I had Frontier FIOS.

I'm using a pair of ActionTec Moca adapters ECB6200K02 and ChannelMaster 4 port adapter CM-6004. The ActionTec is connected to my Orbi.

If you have any COAX splitters make sure they pass the MoCA frequencies and you should be good.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 5 of 7
truefan34
Tutor

That’s awesome news. So I don’t have to use my old quantum router. Sounds like I’m going this route and I’m ordering some adapters to try.
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out for you...

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7