Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Orbi connection loss?

Ando2441
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi connection loss?

Hi, my RBR40 Orbi keeps popping up with a magenta light randomly throughout the day.

I have it bridged with another Netgear D6200 and works fine 99% of the time.

Although I still get my full wireless internet connection in the area of the router and satellite whilst the magenta lights up.

I know a solid magenta lights means WAN connection is down, but whilst it should be down I’m still getting connection.

I’m not very router/modem savvy so any help would be appreciated
Message 1 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Ando2441

What firmware version are you on? have you checked your connections and replug in the ethernet cords?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 9
Ando2441
Aspirant

Hi Darren.

I’m running firmware
V1.12.0.20 on my router
V1.12.0.4 on my satellite

I have replugged the ethernet cable.
Same issue.

Whilst the router is magenta and there is no activity on the net at the time; as soon as I open a webpage, run a speed test. The router seems to go clear again and it’s as if I never had a lost connection.

I’ve heard people have been having dramas with the Ethernet cable, could that be an issue?
Message 3 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I suggest upgrading to the 2.0 firmware and seeing if you are having the same issues.

http://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download

DarrenM

Message 4 of 9
Dalekchap
Guide

I have 4 orbi units (1 central router and 3 satellites) in my home - the 1.X firmware was so bad I took them all offline, and returned to multiple discrete access points.  With 1.X pretty much half of my wifi devices had their connections dropped until I rebooted the four units.  I tried putting a timer to turn them all off and on, and while that did improve things it did not fix the core issue and some of my wifi devices would not reconnect cleanly.

Then 2.X came out last week.  The release notes did not really go in to the issues I had been experiencing, but I thought: "what the heck",  and powered up the Orbi's, manually updated the firmware to 2.X - and THEY WORK NOW.  I have had them running for several days with no interference from me; all attached wifi devices connect and stay connected, no drop outs, no need to reset the system at all.  

Looks like Version 2 is the charm.

Good luck everyone!

Message 5 of 9
Ando2441
Aspirant

Will the RBK50 firmware download work if I have a RBK30?
Message 6 of 9
Ando2441
Aspirant

Thanks! Fingers crossed it works!
Message 7 of 9
Dalekchap
Guide

One extra thing: I am using AP mode.  I turned off all the features in the wireless section: no mu-mimo, no fast switching, etc (3 boxes you tick - or not - in the wireless setup).  When I did have them turned on, the dropping problems persisted.  All off: works.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 8 of 9
Ando2441
Aspirant

Firmware is now up to date. Magenta light still seem to appear but as soon as I open a Speedtest or the orbi app on my phone it seems to disappear
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7