Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Orbi portforwarding not working

y_u_no_work
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi portforwarding not working

I recently upgraded my router from a very old Netgear N600 WNDR3800 router to a Netgear Orbi rbr50. I had a Minecraft server that I ran on my old router that I'm trying to move to the Orbi. I am trying to run it through port 25565 (the standard for Minecraft) and have UPnP turned off. I'm using a port checker and it says that the port is close. I've tried restarting my router, and computer. Any ideas?!

I'm using a Ubee D3.0 modem, this modem does not double as a router. I checked to make sure the Orbi router was in router mode.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
y_u_no_work
Aspirant

Re: Netgear Orbi portforwarding not working

So turns out the porblem was the modem after all! The modem was very very old, and I don't think it got along with the Orbi very much. I upgraded the modem and now the server is working great! Thank you all for your help!

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 18

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

You have to be using the port before in order for a port checker to check the status correctly. If nothing is using the port, then it will report as closed. 

Message 2 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@y_u_no_work wrote:

I am trying to run it through port 25565 (the standard for Minecraft) and have UPnP turned off. I'm using a port checker and it says that the port is closed. I've tried restarting my router, and computer. Any ideas?!

The Minecraft server is operating, correct?  Both TCP and UDP are open on port 25565?

Message 3 of 18
y_u_no_work
Aspirant

I have the TCP and UDP option selected. My port checker says they’re both closed. This issue only started once I switched to the Orbi router.
Message 4 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@y_u_no_work wrote:
I have the TCP and UDP option selected. My port checker says they’re both closed. This issue only started once I switched to the Orbi router.

The local IP address of the Minecraft server has not changed?

Message 5 of 18
y_u_no_work
Aspirant

No. I’ve check both my internal and external IP addresses multiple times. They are both correct.
Message 6 of 18
y_u_no_work
Aspirant

I am checking port 25565 on the port checker - same as I set it for port forwarding. It says it’s closed.
Message 7 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@y_u_no_work wrote:
I am checking port 25562 on the port checker - same as I set it for port forwarding. It says it’s closed.

That's a typo, correct?  "25562" rather than "25565"?

Message 8 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, this is just plain goofy.  The email I received said "62", but when I go look at the post, it says "65".

Sorry.

Message 9 of 18
y_u_no_work
Aspirant

Oh, well sorry if I mistyped. In any case I meant 25565 either way.

Message 10 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@y_u_no_work wrote:

Oh, well sorry if I mistyped. In any case I meant 25565 either way.

I am poorly equippedd to investigate port forwarding.  Aside from loading up an internet game, are you aware of any other method to "open" a random port?  I would love to reproduce the problem on one of my computers.

Message 11 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, another display of ignorance.  "netcat", available for Linux and Windows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netcat 

Turns out both of my Linux distributions already have "nc" installed.  I tested it locally, setting up one nc to listen and another to send, and got nothing. Then, I disabled the firewall on the listening computer, and it worked.

Created a Port Forward for port 27565 to my listening Linux machine, then went to Shields Up! and it says "That port is OPEN."

My next step would be to confirm that the game server is actally "listening" and not being blocked by the Windows Firewall.

Message 12 of 18
y_u_no_work
Aspirant

My firewall is turned off, I have no anti-virus softwear, and the Netgear security Armor on my router is turned off. /:

Message 13 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

I have no doubt that "something" is blocking your port forward, but I remain convinced that it is not the Orbi.

I just did another experiment using the instructions Wikipedia shows for testing netcat (nc):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netcat 

Disabled the firewall on my Raspberry Pi.

Created a text file on the Pi.

Entered the command for netcat to listen on port 27565 and return the text file to whoever connected.

Created port forwarding on the Orbi for port 27565 to my Pi.

Set up a WiFi hot spot on my phone and connected a laptop to it.

Browsed to my public IP http://xx.xx.xx.xx:27565

Sure enough, the text file popped up in my web browser just like Wikipedia said it would.

And, I made sure to test the process with a local computer before using the LTE connection.

(Verify that netcat does what Wikipedia says it does and that the Pi firewall was turned off.)

So, I am running out of ideas.

One thought is to temporarily put the old router back in service and verify that the game software is still accessible from the internet. (This may not be convenient if the house if full of people depending on the Internet to work and/or stay sane.)

Another is to duplicate my test by installing netcat on the same computer as the game server and opening the firewall for it.

Message 14 of 18
tantrum
Apprentice

Maybe a long shot, and only if your server is running on Windows, but when I hooked up my orbi to replace my old routers - even with the same SSID and password so they connected straight back in again - due to the differences in other things at the network level Windows still knew it wasn't exactly the same network.

So it set it up as a new profile, with the same network name, and then defaulted it to a Public network type instead of my usual Private setting.

I configure mostly everything at the Private level to decide on whether firewall should be running or not, which ports are open or not, etc., and Public (given its designed for accessing public hotspots and open wifi connections) is allowed to remain locked down and with things like the firewall enabled.

So a quick check in the Network and Sharing Center of Windows (again, obviously only if using it) to see the network type might be worth it. 

Message 15 of 18
Mikey94025
Hero

@tantrum wrote:

Maybe a long shot, and only if your server is running on Windows, but when I hooked up my orbi to replace my old routers - even with the same SSID and password so they connected straight back in again - due to the differences in other things at the network level Windows still knew it wasn't exactly the same network.

So it set it up as a new profile, with the same network name, and then defaulted it to a Public network type instead of my usual Private setting.

Yes, if you're trying to port forward to a Windows machine then the new router network will have defaulted to Private and the Windows firewall will block the port.

So if Windows, search for "wifi" and go to Wi-Fi Settings.  Click on the current network that it shows as Connected, the next Settings screen presents you a Network Profile toggle between Public and Private.  Select Private because it's your home network and ports don't need to be blocked.  See attached screenshot.

Message 16 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

Reading through the posts again, I find no mention of the Windows Firewall condition.  (Or, I missed it. Sorry.)

How about diabling the Windows Firewall entirely and then test.  If the port is "open" then, that points to Firewall settings and you can fine tune what they need to be.

Message 17 of 18
y_u_no_work
Aspirant

So turns out the porblem was the modem after all! The modem was very very old, and I don't think it got along with the Orbi very much. I upgraded the modem and now the server is working great! Thank you all for your help!

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7