Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Orbi satellite RBS50 can't sync with router RBR50

DevilInRain
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi satellite RBS50 can't sync with router RBR50

I have RBR50 router, two RBS50 backhauled with the router, and another RBS50 in the garage wirelessly connected to the router due to the difficulty of wiring to garage. Somehow, when I check the satellites on Netgear iOS App by clicking the router to view network map, I can only see the router and the garage satellite in green status, one of the backhauled satellite in magenta, the other backhauled satellite is missing. When I check it in browser, the result is the same on the page of firmware updating, which is good status on router and garage satellite, lost connection of one backhauled, and not even displaying the other backhauled. If I check my LAN information, all of them are actually assigned ip address, and connected to the internet with no problem.

So the question is how could this happened? Two satellites are backhauled, meaning they are connected via network cables to the router anyway. Even in a situation they were put in really bad placement, they should still be able to communicate and sync with the router, right? I sometime moving to the room where the missing satellite is, will lost cellphone wifi connection. Have to toggle my wifi connection on the phone to get it update the link. This is really frustrating. 

My system info:

Router: RBR50 V2.6.1.40

RBS 1(Garage, wireless connection): RBS50 V2.6.1.40

RBS 2(Main floor, backhaul): RBS50 V2.6.1.40 (missing on the network map)

RBS 3(2nd floor, backhaul): RBS50 V2.6.1.40 (always in magenta status)

Can anyone help answering my question here? Appreciate in advance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Over 60 feet maybe too far, try 40 feet. 

What network setting do you have set? 

Reset helps to clear out any misconfigurations and lingering prior FW code. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected

Can you sync the RBS near or while in the same room as the RBR? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 6
DevilInRain
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply, @FURRYe38 .

When I have them installed, it was all good. Worked as expected in the same room, all turning blue. After I moved the satellites in their respective locations (Definitely more than 30 feet, it is probably over 60 feet in between any two of them), they showed up on the network map as well. Don't quite remember since when this happed.

I just updated their firmware to the latest last night before I post here. Have not done any factory reset as it would wipe out my network setting as I presume. What is the purpose of this?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Over 60 feet maybe too far, try 40 feet. 

What network setting do you have set? 

Reset helps to clear out any misconfigurations and lingering prior FW code. 

Message 4 of 6
DevilInRain
Aspirant

Thanks, it worked!

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors