Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear USB Controller kills sound and video playback on Orbi printer controller

gingerwinger123
Aspirant

Netgear USB Controller kills sound and video playback on Orbi printer controller

Hi

I have an Orbi RBK50 and wanted to add my Brother 3070cw printer to via USB and was advised to download and install Netgear USB Control Centre. I have done this and the printer works a treat but when the USB Controller is activated it kills the sound and video playback to my computers! I shut the USB Controller down and they all come on perfectly so I know it is that which is causing the issue.

How can I keep the Netgear USB Controller activated and still have sound and video playback? If I can't this is not acceptible really...

Look forward to any responses and I thank you in advance 🙂

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
gingerwinger123
Aspirant

Re: Netgear USB Controller kills sound and video playback on Orbi printer controller

Hi All

I have solved the issue, took me many hours but thinking about the solution it is quite obvious.

My printer's i.p address was set differently to the network/router so it was never going to find it. I changed the i.p address manually on the printer and logged in via a browser to change the wifi settings. Once this was completed the router found it and all my computers can now see it and print.

Thank you all so much for you time taken to respond and give me help. These forums always amazes me of the amount of good people who help others for free.

Take care and thanks again

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Re: Netgear USB Controller kills sound and video playback on Orbi printer controller

The problem sounds like an issue between your computer and the NETGEAR USB software.

A simple workaround is to simply connect the printer to your Orbi router or satellite using an Ethernet cable, then install the printer as a network printer on your computers.

This is actually a much better solution than using USB, because you can print without having to install some potentially unstable USB software from NETGEAR.

Message 2 of 9
Roamabout
Luminary

The Brother printer may only support a wireless connection but the principle is the same. Connect it over wifi and make it accessible as a networked printer.

Message 3 of 9
st_shaw
Master

@Roamabout wrote:

The Brother printer may only support a wireless connection but the principle is the same. Connect it over wifi and make it accessible as a networked printer.

The OP's printer has a wired connection. I reviewed the specs for the printer before posting my suggestion.

Message 4 of 9
Roamabout
Luminary

@st_shawwrote:

@Roamaboutwrote:

The OP's printer has a wired connection. I reviewed the specs for the printer before posting my suggestion.

You are quite right. Nice printer.

Message 5 of 9
gingerwinger123
Aspirant

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my post, very much appreciated 🙂

I have tried a ethernet cable from the printer to the router but I am unable to see the printer anywhere to connect to it so I can configure it.

I used the usb connection/Netgear USB controller as an alternitive to what I have previously with my old router where it worked with a ethernet cable connection.

I plug the printer into the Orbi router and it doesn't even recognise it as a connected device.

I have tried to Brother software to install drivers etc but again the software can't see it. It's either the Orbi or Windows 10 causing the issue. I see the printer wifi but can't connect to it via windows 10 to config.

Anyway, I'm sure the Netgear USB controller is not supposed to kill sound and videos when running!

Many thanks again for your support

Message 6 of 9
st_shaw
Master

@gingerwinger123 wrote:

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my post, very much appreciated 🙂

I have tried a ethernet cable from the printer to the router but I am unable to see the printer anywhere to connect to it so I can configure it.

I used the usb connection/Netgear USB controller as an alternitive to what I have previously with my old router where it worked with a ethernet cable connection.

I plug the printer into the Orbi router and it doesn't even recognise it as a connected device.

I have tried to Brother software to install drivers etc but again the software can't see it. It's either the Orbi or Windows 10 causing the issue. I see the printer wifi but can't connect to it via windows 10 to config.

Anyway, I'm sure the Netgear USB controller is not supposed to kill sound and videos when running!

Many thanks again for your support

If the printer worked on Ethernet with your old router, you should not have had to change anything to get it to work with Orbi. (Unless maybe the IP address of the printer changed.)   At this point, you probably need to delete the USB software, delete any instances of the printer, and reinstall the printer from scratch on each of your computers. Don't use the printer WiFi to connect.

Message 7 of 9
gingerwinger123
Aspirant

Hi All

I have solved the issue, took me many hours but thinking about the solution it is quite obvious.

My printer's i.p address was set differently to the network/router so it was never going to find it. I changed the i.p address manually on the printer and logged in via a browser to change the wifi settings. Once this was completed the router found it and all my computers can now see it and print.

Thank you all so much for you time taken to respond and give me help. These forums always amazes me of the amount of good people who help others for free.

Take care and thanks again

Message 8 of 9
st_shaw
Master

Glad you got it working.  Now, remove that manual IP assignment from the printer, and use DHCP with an IP address reservation on the router, so you won't have this problem, or other problems, again.

It's best to let your router handle all IP assignments, as it will be able to avoid conflicts.  If you leave the printer with a manual IP assignement, there's a good chance the router will assign the printer's IP to another device at some point, creating a very hard to diagnose problem.

If I were you, I would also hardwire the printer to the Orbi and shut off the printer's WiFi.  All your wireless devices should still be able to print.  It's always better to wire everything you can, to save airtime for devices you cannot hardwire.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7