Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Network

BWaters
Aspirant

Network

Hi. My sons iPhone is showing up as a network in the list of devices. Other iPhones show up correctly. Why would this be happening?
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Network

@BWaters wrote:
Hi. My sons iPhone is showing up as a network in the list of devices. Other iPhones show up correctly. Why would this be happening?

I suspect that there are two factors contributing to this phenomenon:

When the Orbi firmware encounters a MAC address that  does not appear to belong to a specific manufacturer, it may "guess" as to what kind of device this is.

Can you please look at the Network "Settings" on this iPhone and see if it is using a randomized MAC address or the "hardware MAC address"?

Message 2 of 6
BWaters
Aspirant

Thanks. The private setting was on so we have turned it off. The name of his phone now comes up under the listed devices. However it still shows as a network rather than a device.
Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@BWaters wrote:
Thanks. The private setting was on so we have turned it off. The name of his phone now comes up under the listed devices. However it still shows as a network rather than a device.

Sometimes Orbi just misclassifies things.  I believe there is a way to manually set the device type.

Message 4 of 6
BWaters
Aspirant

Thanks. My concern was that my son had done something to his phone that he should not have like a VPN that allowed him to his thing from us. That appears not to be the case?
Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

I agree.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements