Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Home with data jacks around the house. Wondering if I can direct connect a Satellite.....

midnightbui
Aspirant

New Home with data jacks around the house. Wondering if I can direct connect a Satellite.....

Hi, first time posting.  I think i have a dumb question.  So i just purchased a new home and it is prewired with a couple of data jacks one upstairs and one downstairs.  I have the Costco RBK53 3 pack.  So my question is this, I am aware I have to connect the Router to the modem and then can set the other two satellites around the home for coverage.  Can I actually direct connect the satellite to the network jacks to make the signal stronger or would that even matter?  I hope i am making sense.  

While I am here maybe someone can help,  So I have this set up currently in my house, being that it is only one SSID name instead of having seperate for 2.4 and 5.0, my sons computer for some reason only connects to the 2.4ghz which makes it slower.  Previously when i had two SSID one for each, I am able to connect to the 5.0 and it worked fine.  I know this because when opening his connection, it is connected to the Orbi SSID but then shows it is on the 2.4gz not the 5.

Thank you in advance for those who are answering.  

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: New Home with data jacks around the house. Wondering if I can direct connect a Satellite.....

Wired backhaul is actually ideal. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

I do it and it works great.

In terms of your son's computer, the orbi itself does band steering based off some formula of rssi strength, bandwidth needs, distance, etc. 

If he's using higher bandwidth for a while and is close enough to the router/satellite, it might dynamically switch him over. 

Message 2 of 6
midnightbui
Aspirant

Re: New Home with data jacks around the house. Wondering if I can direct connect a Satellite.....

Thank you for the fast response.  So by doing so, it will make the signal stronger and more stable?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

@midnightbui wrote:

Thank you for the fast response.  So by doing so, it will make the signal stronger and more stable?

It'll make your backhaul more stable in my experience. Wifi is great but many different things interfere with it. If there's the potential for wired backhaul, it usually works better. Especially if the wiring is already there. 

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@plemansis correct.  Using wired backhaul generally improves the speed and stability of the "backhaul signal" between the Orbi and satellites.  It has nothing to do with the WiFi signals provided to client devices in terms of signal strength or coverage.  WiFi radio signal strength is regulated by the FCC (or equivalent in every country). When Orbi is transmitting at 100%, that is the maximum strength signal that is possible.

Depending on the building construction, using the wired backhaul can expand the area covered for users.  With 5G WiFi backhaul, as the satellite gets farther from the router, the signal falls off.  That is why Netgear recommends placing the satellite where the top ring turns "blue" when it connectes, rather than "amber."  In practice, this means that there is considerable overlap between the router coverage and the satellite coverage.  With wired backhaul, the satellite can be placed farther away and thus "push out" the area that gets good coverage. For most of us, our houses are not large enough to need the additional coverage area.

Anyway, thank your lucky stars that this house has ethernet wiring in the walls.  Use it.

Message 5 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@midnightbui wrote:

So my question is this, I am aware I have to connect the Router to the modem and then can set the other two satellites around the home for coverage.  Can I actually direct connect the satellite to the network jacks....??

Are we all talking about the same thing?  The OP describes 'network jacks' and how they are scattered around the house.  To me it sounded like the question is "can I hook a Orbi satillite to one of the wall 'network jacks'?   

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7