Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - NetGear Orbi Firmware Version 2.3.0.32 now available...

gr8sho
Virtuoso

Hello. You’re likely going to get a series of questions such as how is your Orbi’s host router port configured (DMZ is the optimum answer).
But as for downgrading, would need to be done my going to the support website and downloading the two corresponding files for the base and satellites, and using the web GUI to manually apply them along with a corresponding factory reset.
If you can wait on some of the other help, might be a better choice from a total time perspective.
BTW, what ISP service you have there?
Message 226 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Speed testing with wired or wireless connections? 

Not everyone is having a bad experience with new FW. 

@HannoosH wrote:

Before the upgrade - everything was ok in ORBI RBK53 ... Download speed was about 57 Mbps and upload speed about 17 Mbps .

After the upgrade (which went well with no issues) the both upload and download speeds are not exceeding the 9.5 Mbps . I tried alot of configuration and reset factory settings but with no use . I opened a ticket with the support but still the problem persist and still have the issue .

Please support to resolve the issue or at least provide the steps to return back to the old firmware .

Just to highlight that I am using ORBI from just 3-4 days and this experices is not good for new users

Message 227 of 386
orbilov
Apprentice

ISP speed and Wifi Speed are not the same Thing. Has Furrye38 mentioned repeated wired tessts would confirm what internet speed is available. Cable modem provided internet can be highly variable for the same household by time of day and what neighbors are doing etc. Fiber like Fios is
Much more consistent and sycronous (same)(download/upload speed from isp is indicator of services that will be much less variable generally).

Orbi Rbk53 system should be providing a mimimim of over 100Mbs and in most set ups 200 to 800Mbs. Distance, walls building material, floors not with standing. When i first put out my RBK53 system i tried different placements and learned that i could arrange some of them in different locations then prior equipment , but some of my home required same as before closer placement and less walls. That is 2 walls and around 30 feet were fine, 3 walls 40 feet were not. 3 Walls provided only around 60Mbs at best.
Message 228 of 386
Ragar99
Luminary

So far no major issues, I am using in AP mode.

After the upgrade, the Guest SSID was being broadcast even though it was disabled, odd but easy enought to fix.  All my devices (40+) ignored the satellites and connected to the router.  Once I unchecked daisy chain, devices started connecting to satellites again.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 229 of 386
jweise
Apprentice

Internet went down while I was eating lunch.  When I investigated by trying to log on to router at my desktop, a new page popped up informing me that I was a new user and needed to go through the Orbi  router setup process.  After an hour,  I finally got it set up and discovered that my original settings had all been changed.  It also required me to change my admin password.  After another half hour I think it is now set up the way it was this morning.

One good note was that the firmware remained at 2.3.0.32.

Interesting way to waste part of my day.

Message 230 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you have it setup and working well and configured to your liking, do a save configuration to file under Advanced Tab/Backup. Use this next time you experience this again. Just skip any wizards and go in and restore from the backup config file. Saves copious amounts of time.

@jweise wrote:

Internet went down while I was eating lunch.  When I investigated by trying to log on to router at my desktop, a new page popped up informing me that I was a new user and needed to go through the Orbi  router setup process.  After an hour,  I finally got it set up and discovered that my original settings had all been changed.  It also required me to change my admin password.  After another half hour I think it is now set up the way it was this morning.

One good note was that the firmware remained at 2.3.0.32.

Interesting way to waste part of my day.

Message 231 of 386
gr8sho
Virtuoso

I’ll also step in here and say that I’ve had to restart my satellite a few times over the past days to restore connectivity.
Today alone, had to do it after my AFTV 4K received a firmware update and the wired connection was brutally unstable.
(Yes, I bought a LAN adapter for it).
Message 232 of 386
orbilov
Apprentice

Apple TV 4k has Ethernet? Anyway please make sure if you are using an internet service provider provided router that you turn off its wifi and make sure to put the Orbi in AP mode under advanced. You will get really bad behavior from Orbi otherwise including its wired ports especially. My Apple TV 4k and Samsung TV would not even receive an IP address otherwise. Orbi can only be in router mode if there are no other routers (same as other systems). This is one area of set up that should be automated (interview you or auto detect) whether there is another router. Orbi relies on customer to make this change which is needed by most set ups.
Message 233 of 386
gr8sho
Virtuoso

AFTV = Amazon Fire TV . The newer 4K stick can be Ethernet connected using a special adapter.
Apple TV 4 and 4K both have Ethernet ports.
The RBR50 is operating in router mode. The host router is in bridge mode.
I’ll see about adding this information to signature so that no one has to guess.

Now, I don’t understand why you are making statements about running the Orbi in AP mode. I’m not interested in using a Cadillac as a spectator. The host router has its WiFi disabled and am relying entirely on the RBK50 to manage my home network traffic.
Cheers
Message 234 of 386
Ragar99
Luminary

@gr8sho wrote:
Now, I don’t understand why you are making statements about running the Orbi in AP mode. I’m not interested in using a Cadillac as a spectator. The host router has its WiFi disabled and am relying entirely on the RBK50 to manage my home network traffic.
Cheers

When it comes to router functionality and performance, the Orbi is not anywhere near a Cadillac.  

Message 235 of 386
gr8sho
Virtuoso

There aren’t that many systems of this type that cost more. Velop. Hardly makes any sense to me to buy something like this and just use it as an access point.
Message 236 of 386
CrimpOn
Guru

The major selling point for Orbi is the extremely high speed wireless backhaul between satellites and the base unit.  Having an entirely separate 5G network, including separate antennas, produces the highest possible backhaul speed.  The discussion about AP mode comes up primarily because running two routers back-to-back ("Double NAT") causes problems for people and the solution is to make one of them "not a router."  Sometimes, people already have a very capable router with advanced features that they rely on and simply want a better Wi-Fi solution.  They put Orbi in AP mode. Other times, the ISP's modem/router cannot be taken out of router mode by the customer, so they put Orbi in AP mode.  And, there are customers who bridge the ISP modem/router and leave their Orbi in router mode.

The goal is to get the Internet service you want.  For me, Orbi is just fine as a router.  Maybe for you as well.

Message 237 of 386
gr8sho
Virtuoso

I would take it a step further and say I want no part of the router provided by ISP, and want a fully functional standalone router I can rely on.
Message 238 of 386
orbilov
Apprentice

As others have restated the choice for AP mode for Orbi is for those it can't or do not not want to use Orbi's router functionality.  Double natting (having both routers active) causes issues both small and large.   It is also a matter of whose built in "protections" are trusted router wise more.     Not always clear Signatures wise how people have their systems configured and there are differing levels of technical expertise here on who might overlook AP vs Router (default on Orbi) after a upgrade or reset.

As to pricing that is a moving target.  Also everyone's coverage needs, home construction, ethernet port/s needs, usb port needs are different.   As of 2019 February I found Orbi RBK53 for very reasonable $319.99 at Costco and $350 Amazon.   Feature set I needed was uniquely met by RBK53.   Probably could have settled for Superplume, Velop, and other 2 port systems if I had to.    

I will say I would only recommend going with an Orbi kit like RBK53 that comes with 2 satellites as additional ones are a crazy $250.  Other manufactures have more reasonable additional, but some charge charge service fees for best wifi capability.   Lastly, some manufactures I would not trust from a privacy or long term support perspective (imho Google for example).  Since they try to monetize everything they can find out about their customers.  Only FB is worse.

Message 239 of 386
mastervisa30
Luminary

sorry late answer,i always do factory reset,and new setup everytime i install new firmware its standard for me

:)im still on firmware version 2.2.1.210  no dropps out on my satellites,working great so far now 🙂

Message 240 of 386
pablohoney
Luminary

So the latest update is a manual update. Why do we have to do a manual update to get the latest update???  This is 2019 and Orbi is a premium router we should not need to do this. When I check for updates it says "No new firmware update is available".

Message 241 of 386
gr8sho
Virtuoso

The technical reason for two step manual process was need to allow increase of firmware file size.
As for when the automated process will happen, NG would have to say.
I did the update manually. Supposedly once this step is performed end user can take control of when to apply updates which is my preference. I also have a preference of doing full factory reset when updates are applied, mostly as a precaution to avoid issues based on personal experience with updating router firmware.
Cheers
Message 242 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

There was a major file size change so there is a need for the intermediate file to be applied first before going to v32 on the RBR. This is only for the RBR. You can upgrade the RBS directly to v32 from v210. 

@pablohoney wrote:

So the latest update is a manual update. Why do we have to do a manual update to get the latest update???  This is 2019 and Orbi is a premium router we should not need to do this. When I check for updates it says "No new firmware update is available".

Message 243 of 386
orbilov
Apprentice

Re: New - NetGear Orbi Firmware Version 2.3.0 .32 now available...

So just to clarify Orbi did put out the intermediate 212 update for the RBS as well. While it does not seem to be required, i personally would recommend the intermediate step as NETGEAR must have created the firmware for the RBS as well for a reason. Assuming less issues upgrading it this way. I followed the intermediate 212 firmware upgrade for both rbs and rbr before loading 2.30.32.
Message 244 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - NetGear Orbi Firmware Version 2.3.0 .32 now available...

Users can do that too. Just others mentioned that they upgraded directly from v210 to v32 on there RBS and it worked for them. 

Message 245 of 386
whammy
Aspirant

Over the weekend I updated both satellite and routers to the 2.3.0.32 release.  Started with the satellite going to the intermediate (v212) version, then updating to the final release.   Once that was done, I updated the router to intermediate then final release.   I did not perform a factory reset.

After a couple of days, I am not seeing major connectivity or bandwidth/performance issues.   I am seeing a potential connectivity issue with the Orbi app, however I do not see it when logging into the router via a laptop computer.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 246 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch as last resort.

@whammy wrote:

Over the weekend I updated both satellite and routers to the 2.3.0.32 release.  Started with the satellite going to the intermediate (v212) version, then updating to the final release.   Once that was done, I updated the router to intermediate then final release.   I did not perform a factory reset.

After a couple of days, I am not seeing major connectivity or bandwidth/performance issues.   I am seeing a potential connectivity issue with the Orbi app, however I do not see it when logging into the router via a laptop computer.

Message 247 of 386
JBinIL
Star

Background:

I have one Orbi main router (RBR50), two indoor satellites (RBS50), and two outdoor satellites (RBS50Y) on a large property. The main Orbi router, indoor Orbi satellites, and outdoor Orbi satellites are generally within 100-150 feet of the main router or nearest satellite. All wifi devices (2.4Mhz and 5Mhz) are within 4-110 feet of the main router, indoor satellite, or outdoor satellite.

My Experience with Firmwares 2.3.0.32 and 2.3.028 for Indoor and Outdoor Orbi Equip.:

The newer firmware version 2.3.0.32 for the main router (RBR50) and indoor satellites (RBS50), combined with firmware version 2.3.028 for the outdoor satellites (RBS50Y) helped somewhat, but the following firmware/admin. issues still exist:

1. The web-based local Orbi admin site (orbilogin.com/index.htm) and the iOS Orbi admin app show conflicting information (e.g. what router a wifi device is connected to, what devices are connected to a satellite, device connection speed, etc.).

2. It seems to take 24-72 hours for Orbi Outdoor satellites to learn how to connect to a faster/closer Orbi indoor or outdoor satellite with stronger signals..

3. 2.4G Wifi devices that are in the same garage as an outdoor Orbi satellite (RBS50Y) prefer to connect to indoor Orbi satellites much further away.

4. Even though all indoor and outdoor satellites show Good backhaul connection speeds, 5G WiFi devices connected to outdoor satellites within about 100 feet show very poor speeds (24-40 Mbps) in.the iOS Orbi admin app. The web-based local Orbi admin site (orbilogin.com/index.htm) does not display Wifi devices' connected speeds.

Let me know if you need me to help you test a new firmware update.

Message 248 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Beamforming, MIMO and Daisy Chain enabled on the RBR? 

Daisy Chain enabled will have the satellites piggy back of one another if in a line out from the RBR. Disabled will have the satellites all connect to the RBR separately in a star configuration. 

Try turning down the power output of the RBR from 100% to 75% and test. 

Besure when you having devices turn OFF temporarily, then back ON with the device to see fi the device will connect to hearest satelite device you closest too. It should. 

@JBinIL wrote:

Background:

I have one Orbi main router (RBR50), two indoor satellites (RBS50), and two outdoor satellites (RBS50Y) on a large property. The main Orbi router, indoor Orbi satellites, and outdoor Orbi satellites are generally within 100-150 feet of the main router or nearest satellite. All wifi devices (2.4Mhz and 5Mhz) are within 4-110 feet of the main router, indoor satellite, or outdoor satellite.

My Experience with Firmwares 2.3.0.32 and 2.3.028 for Indoor and Outdoor Orbi Equip.:

The newer firmware version 2.3.0.32 for the main router (RBR50) and indoor satellites (RBS50), combined with firmware version 2.3.028 for the outdoor satellites (RBS50Y) helped somewhat, but the following firmware/admin. issues still exist:

1. The web-based local Orbi admin site (orbilogin.com/index.htm) and the iOS Orbi admin app show conflicting information (e.g. what router a wifi device is connected to, what devices are connected to a satellite, device connection speed, etc.).

2. It seems to take 24-72 hours for Orbi Outdoor satellites to learn how to connect to a faster/closer Orbi indoor or outdoor satellite with stronger signals..

3. 2.4G Wifi devices that are in the same garage as an outdoor Orbi satellite (RBS50Y) prefer to connect to indoor Orbi satellites much further away.

4. Even though all indoor and outdoor satellites show Good backhaul connection speeds, 5G WiFi devices connected to outdoor satellites within about 100 feet show very poor speeds (24-40 Mbps) in.the iOS Orbi admin app. The web-based local Orbi admin site (orbilogin.com/index.htm) does not display Wifi devices' connected speeds.

Message 249 of 386
Chuck_M
Mentor

@JBinIL wrote:

Background:

I am interested in your setup as I have a large property with 3 satellites.   Are you using daisy chain or do your sats all report back to the router?  Anything satellite hardwired?

Message 250 of 386
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7