Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Orbi - 5GHz slow for some devices

lastxit
Aspirant

New Orbi - 5GHz slow for some devices

Set this up new Saturday, and while the 2.4GHz seems to work very well, the 5GHz is extremely slow and unstable for several devices.  I have tried all the channels available and still having trouble (android phones are working fine however).  Also, I believe the new Orbi system keeps interferring with all 3 of my FireTV remotes.  I'm guessing they're using RF but not sure exactly what frequency or channel.  Spent the entire weekend troubleshooting this and I'm on the last leg before returning.  My old router's 5GHz works perfectly with everything but doesn't have the range I need.

I have tried numerous suggestions I found in this forum already but no silver bullet as of yet.

Lastest firmware (updated it when I installed)

2000 sq ft home

Cable comes in at one corner of the house and satellite placed at opposite end of home.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Use a wifi analizer app on a pad to see what 2.4Ghz signals are near by. Contact the Mfr of the FireTV remotes to see if there is more details about there ussage and frequencies being used. 

Message 2 of 10
lastxit
Aspirant

Firmware 2.3.1.60

2000 sq ft router and sat are at opposite ends of the home (unsure on exact distance)

Have tried 2.4 channels of 1, 6, and 11 with mixed results but not solved

Same with 5GHz channels

2 neighbors with wifi APs

Beamforming mimo enabled with no change in behavior

Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and 20/40Mhz Coexistence disbaled with no apparent change in behavior

I have not done any wireless surveys; however, as I stated my old router's 5GHz works fine, just not enough range.

I wonder if the FireTV remotes are part of the problem with the 5GHz being unreliable on this new router.  I should go look at the old one and see what the specs are for its 5GHz band and compare.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Would need to check distances if possible. 

5Ghz on ORbi is very good. Unless something is not working right or there could be some interferences. Last resort maybe just a faulty system. 

Would need to check with the Mfr to see what the specs are for these remotes. I don't think they should be interfering with 5Ghz. 

How was the FW updated to v60? Auto update via UI or did you manually download the v60 files and load them manually? 

Message 4 of 10
lastxit
Aspirant

Initially I used the auto-update when first setting it up.  When I ran into issues I rolled it back to using two different older versions I read were stable (satellite, too) which introduced other behaviors and skewing my tests, so I decided to manually load the latest, factory reset, and troubleshoot from there.

Still looking to see if I can track down the FireTV information.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You say 5Ghz is slow for some devices, what devices are you seeing this with? 

Yes, thats how I loaded my system and v60 is working here for me. Probably differences in devices though. 

Message 6 of 10
lastxit
Aspirant

I ran across a reddit thread regarding older gen FireTVs creating havoc on 5GHz channels.  When I get home I'm going to shut mine down and see if the problem goes away.  Doesn't look like there's a way to change this, either.  So if that's the issue I may be replacing my older FireTVs with newer versions that use Bluetooth.  I will keep youi posted on the results.

In regard to devices that are having trouble - several.  3 Dell laptops, 1 custom desktop with TP-Link dual band NIC, 2 iPads, and 1 iPhone XR.  Both my wife and I have LG V30s that seem unaffected.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for the info. Hope something changes. Let us know. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10
lastxit
Aspirant

Some of the info I gathered on the FireTV wasn't entirely accurate and I've seen some conflicting reports on how it utilizes wifi.  However I disbaled all the FireTVs and there was a modest increase in speeds on 5GHz but nowhere near what I expect.  I decided that it's too much trouble for what I paid and returned the product.

I picked up an ASUS AC5300 and everything is running perfectly stable with expected speeds.  Granted I only have 2.4GHz at the extreme range but testing shows 85-95Mbps at the farthest point from the router in my house and that's acceptable.  5GHz screams.  At some point I will move it closer to center with some creative cabling (there's a few obstacles to overcome) and that should allow for the 5GHz to reach most of the house. The firmware options and functionality on the ASUS is actually pretty amazing for a consumer grade router.

Thanks for the assist!  🙂 

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 

Good Luck. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos