Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Orbi RBR50/RBS50 Firmware Version 2.3.1.44

ealthoff
Aspirant

Is anyone having an issue where the satellite isnt showing any connected devices? I saw discussion on an older firmware but I have version 2.3.1.44 and its still not showing any of my household devices connecting. Will this issue get fixed?

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 226 of 392
Rustyy
Tutor

Yeah, I just checked my connected divices list. They are all connected to the router other than my PC which is upstairs which is connected via Ethernet. Explains the speed test too as near that my wireless divices get 100+ rest of the house 15-40. 

WHY DID THEY BREAK SOMETHING THAT WAS WORKING!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!!?

edit* In fact, checking the "Network Map" on the app. Both of the satellites are purple with only the router green. The "Waiting to connect" curse continues.Looks like factory reset might be the only option which I have tried to avoid, with all the drama I had adding the RSB40 to the system.

Message 227 of 392
pablohoney
Luminary

Interesting, I finally found the culprit for my download speed halving - “Daisychain topology”. When disabled it fixed the issue even in 2.3.1.44

Why would having it enabled halve my download speed not just on wifi but also when connected via ethernet to main Orbi router???
Message 228 of 392
gr8sho
Virtuoso

It looks like if I try to disable, it wants to reboot the Orbi. This option should be irrelevant for a one satellite topology.
Message 229 of 392
CrimpOn
Guru

One would think that turning off Daisy Chain should not require a reboot, but it does (sigh).  ekhaliil has an excellent explanation of how Orbi backhaul works.  When Daisy Chain is off, only the router opens 5G backhaul channels.  When Diasy Chain is on, the Satellites open up different 5G channels.  So, with Daisy Chain enabled, there is more congestion in the 5G band.

I waited until the house was empty (except for the Geek), unchecked Daisy Chain, and let the system reboot.  My guess is the default is Daisy Chain enabled because Netgear doesn't know if a customer purchased a package with one Satellite or two, or how they would want to configure their network.  Daisy Chain enabled always works.  It just ties up more 5G channels.

Message 230 of 392
pablohoney
Luminary

I stupidly enabled Daisychain and my download speed which was corrected with it off is now halved again. I turned off Daisychain again but it didn’t work. Looks like a factory reset is in order. I dunno its a fcuking expensive system to have so many bugs with it.
Message 231 of 392
pablohoney
Luminary

PS I only have 1 satellite so Daisychain should not be enabled I presume? Although it was enabled prior to this firmware and download speed was normal so I dunno.
Message 232 of 392
pablohoney
Luminary

This is seriously pissing me off. I did a factory reset but who knew it actually keeps the latest firmware installed and it did not fix my issue. FFS.....
Message 233 of 392
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Perhaps using all the non DFS channels isn’t neighborly. It doesn’t make sense though for daisychain to impact WiFi speed in a one satellite config.
If I had a few hours alone with the Orbi, I’d try a downgrade test just to prove if there’s an actual change of speed involved.
Message 234 of 392
Dfran1
Apprentice

I did a downgrade to 210 again , this is the steps 

1. Download 210 for both master and slave (ie.RBR50 and RBS50 or whatever models you have) 

2. Unplug cable modem

3. Log into satellite (RBS50 or whatever your model firmware is) (find IP in network map on app or other spots) I use Firefox browser on my Mac   

4. Do a manual firmware load , it may take a minute or two to load.

5. When that is done , go to the main router advanced settings, then administration, firmware update, and load RBR50 (or whatever your model is) firmware from there

6.  I powere cycled both satellite and router (unplug router, unplug satellite, plug router back in, plug satellite back in). May not be needed.

7.  Telnet and config explained here. 

@mith_it wrote:

>> If you manually downgrade to .210 you can then telnet and disable autoupdates. See https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/8ke43v/how_to_disable_autoupdate/dz6xz9l/

8.  Now plug cable modem back in. 

So far no auto updates like my last time I tied 210

I have not factory defaulted router and set up from scratch, although it is recommended by many , I have done that many many times with most of my routers over the years and only found it to work if the firmware is really crappy but that firmware would go bad over time again anyway, to each their own.  (note I only had this router over a month or so.)

Now on 210 vs 44 (maybe even 32, I just can’t remember that one to much as it only lasted days before 44 from when I installer 32).

‘On 210, my outside cameras have 3 bars of WiFi, make note I never moved the RBR or RBS or any of my cameras,   I only got 1 or 2 bars of WiFi from my far cameras, that is a huge difference. 

My tv streaming has not hiccuped like on 44, also note one of my TVs was getting its streaming through a hardwire to the satellite, Satellite using backhaul to router. 

Conclusion WiFi  and  backhaul is crap on 44, I am going to stick with 210 as long as it stays, hopefully for a long time. 

Everything is checked in advanced WiFi except Enable Daisy-Chain Topology

‘that is not checked.  ,  I use channel 7 2.4 GHz and 48 for 5GHz as I have others on 1,6, and 11 in my area and 7 is working great for me.  I also enabled jumbo frames in the screen you have to enable telnet on the router, my personal preference.

Hopefully this his helps others and thanks goes out to the ones posed the info on telnet, thank you.   Again to each their own and best of luck to those on 44 that seem to be or working ok.

thank you

Message 235 of 392
Zephyr3200
Aspirant

I update RBR/ RBS to v.44 a few days ago and setup from a factory reset.
Everything is perfect except when I download apps to update on IOS devices over the air , music stops on my Sonos system Boost setup wired directly to the RBR... and i stream only TuneIn ...it got worse when I stream Tidal music of course . I got this problem too on previous firmware version. Is there a way to correct it? Thanks.
Message 236 of 392
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Dfran1 wrote:

>> I also enabled jumbo frames in the screen you have to enable telnet on the router, my personal preference...

This can have negative impact on performance if any device (switch/client/IoT/etc.,) in the same network can't handle or doesn't support jumbo frame.  Otherwise, it is very useful for xfering big files when all devices in the network support/speak jumbo frame.

Thanks for sharing your setup/config/experience.

Message 237 of 392
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

My experience with Daisy-Chain is a little different.  My reason for disabling Daisy-Chain was because of 2x latency delay due to the extra hop through the Satellite in the middle.  I did my experiment with ping and observe the average time.  Latency/response time is much more important when playing games than max wireless download speed.

Message 238 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

CPU Load 7.84314%
  Memory Usage(Used/Total) 137MB/495MB
  Flash Usage(Used/Total) 2945MB/4096MB
  Network Session(Active/Total) 863/65536
  System Uptime 05:21:15:46

Zero issues. Factory reset and setup from scratch. 

RBS wired back baul.

Daisy chain disabled for only 1 satellite. 

3 cameras at full bars. 

Message 239 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling WMM, Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Zephyr3200 wrote:
I update RBR/ RBS to v.44 a few days ago and setup from a factory reset.
Everything is perfect except when I download apps to update on IOS devices over the air , music stops on my Sonos system Boost setup wired directly to the RBR... and i stream only TuneIn ...it got worse when I stream Tidal music of course . I got this problem too on previous firmware version. Is there a way to correct it? Thanks.

Message 240 of 392
Zephyr3200
Aspirant

>>> Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). <<<<

Why do I have to do all those modifications when all Sonos are wired to the router RBR?

Thanks again
Message 241 of 392
thombe
Apprentice

Thanks for the detail.

I will be trying this for myself. 44 isn't working well for me where 210 did.

Ben

Message 242 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

Daisy chain may effect how the system is working. Something to try at least. 

And is Beamforming and WMM enabled? 

@Zephyr3200 wrote:
>>> Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). <<<<

Why do I have to do all those modifications when all Sonos are wired to the router RBR?

Thanks again

Message 243 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a full reset on the Orbi been performed after the v44 was applied? 

@thombe wrote:

Thanks for the detail.

I will be trying this for myself. 44 isn't working well for me where 210 did.

Ben

Message 244 of 392
thombe
Apprentice

HI furry, yup, i actually post on this earlier, but easily missed in all the posts.

I'm definitely going back to 210 as this was very solid on my setup.

Message 245 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 246 of 392
Funtastico
Aspirant

Had time on the weekend and finally decided to fix my system by switching from router to AP, as my setup already has a router for fiber - well... it totally killed it: nothing worked as it should have anymore until I decided to undo it. 1 min after, everything was back to normal (I even kept Daisy chain tagged although my two sats are forming a nice triangle.

The good old advice also applies to Orbi: never change a running system 😉

(and those having problems in AP mode, perhaps should try the router mode...)

Message 247 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

AP mode should have worked if you had configured the RBR for AP mode and let it reboot. IF the main host router had DHCP enabled then the RBR would have recieved a new IP address ON the WAN port to something from the LAN address pool from your main host router. 

Others are having good experiences with AP mode. I guess I'll try this out on the one I have and see. 

@Funtastico wrote:

Had time on the weekend and finally decided to fix my system by switching from router to AP, as my setup already has a router for fiber - well... it totally killed it: nothing worked as it should have anymore until I decided to undo it. 1 min after, everything was back to normal (I even kept Daisy chain tagged although my two sats are forming a nice triangle.

The good old advice also applies to Orbi: never change a running system 😉

(and those having problems in AP mode, perhaps should try the router mode...)

Message 248 of 392

@Funtastico wrote:

Had time on the weekend and finally decided to fix my system by switching from router to AP, as my setup already has a router for fiber - well... it totally killed it:

Remember, when you change the mode of a device on your network, you don't just change one box and expect everything to work, you have to go through a strict regime for getting things up and running.

You should reboot the network in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

If that does not work, then reset the modem/router as well.

Maybe you did that. Your account of what happened does not reveal those details.

Message 249 of 392
bowmah
Guide

Been using the Orbi system for almost 2 years now. Currently auto-updated to .44 and it has been a nightmare. The Satellite keeps dropping internet connection but clients are still connected to it. What in the world has NG done this time? Come on guys. Most expensive hardware out there and the weak software kills the whole deal...

Message 250 of 392
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7