Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New RBK50 - Satellite won't switch to ethernet backhaul

twynne
Apprentice

New RBK50 - Satellite won't switch to ethernet backhaul

Setting up a new RBK50 (one router, one satellite)... went through all the normal steps to set it up wirelessly first and upgraded firmware.  Both report running firmware 2.1.4.16 and no further updates available (so assume this is latest stable release).

I then switched to AP mode and ensured wireless network was working properly and satellite was showing as connected.  I then plugged the satellite into the wired network and power cycled it.  It still appears as if connected wirelessly in both the iOS app and web interface (shows connection type 5g), but the satellite ring light is now off as if all is normal.

Question is... how do I get the satellite to recognise that it's connected via ethernet?  For reference, my configuration is as per the third diagram shown here:  https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Both the Orbi router and satellite are connected into the same unmanaged switch, the switch hangs off of my existing router.

Thanks all!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
twynne
Apprentice

Re: New RBK50 - Satellite won't switch to ethernet backhaul

Update:  This problem seems to have resolved itself in that via the web interface I can now see that the satellite is connected 'wired'.  

However, the Orbi app now won't connect to my Orbi system at all.  It shows the window as if trying to detect what system I have and eventually errors out completely.  Am I safe in assuming this is just an issue with the app as via the web UI all appears to be ok?

Also when looking at the attached devices screen in the web UI, all devices are showing as if connected to the router/RBR50 and none attached to the satellite.  Even devices which are sitting next to the satellite!  Is that normal?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7