Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.0.70 Officially Released

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.0.70 Officially Released

PW wasn't reset? 

@GMoGoody8 wrote:

Pulled the trigger and manually updated today. So far so good. 

Message 26 of 155
GMoGoody8
Luminary

PW was all good. I did have one quirk that I typically reboot the Router and Satellites after both are upgraded fully. When both booted together the satellite received 192.168.1.250 and stayed there. Thought that was weird so I just reboot the Router again. Then everything was back to normal.

After all of that I tried the app and was immediately pushed the new IOS app with the new parental control settings with profiles.

I am also seeing some increased speeds on WiFi too. Though want to give it more soak time.
Message 27 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

Good. Thanks for letting us know. Possible a reboot or two maybe needed for good measure after the system is updated. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 28 of 155
GMoGoody8
Luminary

Haha yep. On another topic IOS 14 is going to drive parents and people in general nuts. I noticed a ton of offline IPHONEs in my connected device list. Turns out IOS 14 has MAC randomization for added security. Had to manually clean up my connected device list after phone upgrade.

At least Apple allows a user to toggle it per network if you want. Though it’s on by default. Hit the “I” and it’s the “private address” toggle
Message 29 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, also seeing that iOS is giving security warning messages about phones not connecting to AES enabled wifi signals and reporting the use of TPIK which they recommend not using. Something both Apple and wifi router mfrs have to deal with now as well. Smiley Frustrated Some router mfrs handle the security automatically so users can't specify AES only. 

Message 30 of 155
cookiekaikai
Aspirant

Upgraded last week.  I just found out the router doesn't show most of the devices in attached /  connected devices in app or on the webpage.  I thought this issue was resolved?

Message 31 of 155
GMoGoody8
Luminary

Looks Like the Site caught up. This FW is now listed for RBK50, RBR50, and RBS50 for people in the US. 

Message 32 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks. Smiley Wink

@GMoGoody8 wrote:

Looks Like the Site caught up. This FW is now listed for RBK50, RBR50, and RBS50 for people in the US. 

Message 33 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

How many devices do you actually have connected? 

Are they all connected at the same time? 

Might try a factory reset and setup from scratch.

Is RBS wired or wireless connected to the RBR? 

Any Armor or Circle enabled? 

@cookiekaikai wrote:

Upgraded last week.  I just found out the router doesn't show most of the devices in attached /  connected devices in app or on the webpage.  I thought this issue was resolved?

Message 34 of 155
cookiekaikai
Aspirant

A reboot last night resolved the issue.  I have 15-20 devices with circle enabled.  I think there might be a small

@FURRYe38 wrote:

How many devices do you actually have connected? 

Are they all connected at the same time? 

Might try a factory reset and setup from scratch.

Is RBS wired or wireless connected to the RBR? 

Any Armor or Circle enabled? 

@cookiekaikai wrote:

bug.  thanks

Message 35 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, good the reboot helped. 

A full on reboot or power OFF for 1 minute then back on with the RBS and RBR is recommended first after doing a FW update.

Enjoy. 

@cookiekaikai wrote:

A reboot last night resolved the issue.  I have 15-20 devices with circle enabled.  I think there might be a small

bug.  thanks

Message 36 of 155
Mstrbig
Master

Update:

Several days running 2 entirely different RBK50 systems on 2.7.0.70.

Everything is faster, both WIFI and wired. I forced several shutdowns and restarts and everything comes back up.

App and GUI are reporting correctly. It did take about 24 hours after reboot for things to settle down.

As far as I am concerned, this is one of the most stable firmwares. So stable, we have started updating our customer's Orbi systems, that support this firmware.

One thing, the Website show that 2.7.0.70 is for U.S. only.

For those reporting missing devices, or showing wired when wireless and reverse in app and GUI, a reboot of the router and satellites seems to correct it. For those reporting password reset, I'm going to go on a limb and say possible user error. 

Best procedure to follow, when manually updating, is to use the Netgear instructions. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

Message 37 of 155
Caplaur
Aspirant

Did somebody notice, in Advanced setup/Wireless Settings, Transmit Power Control is now 25%, 50% and 100%. So, no more 75% option.

Message 38 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

Seen this on Orbi AX. Probably taken out since there isn't much difference between 100 nad 75%...

@Caplaur wrote:

Did somebody notice, in Advanced setup/Wireless Settings, Transmit Power Control is now 25%, 50% and 100%. So, no more 75% option.

Message 39 of 155
lukpac
Apprentice

@CrimpOn wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

It shows for me while using rbk50...

It does not appear on "Firmware Update" on my RBR50 running 2.5.1.16.  Perhaps this is related to whether a person has "gone past" 2.5.1.16 at any point?

Setting my timer today to consider updating Nov 1.

I manually upgraded to 2.7.0.70 this afternoon from 2.5.1.32. So far I haven't seen any issues.

However, I have also had problems with it not auto updating or even detecting that a new firmware is available. I know I had the same problem when I wanted to update to 2.5.1.32 back in July, and I think the problem existed last year as well. Has anyone been able to explain this? People were reporting the issue last December:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-not-automatically-updating-to-2-5-1-8/td-...

Also, is the UI very slow for everyone? Internet speeds are fine, but the UI is slow as molasses. Even the main page takes several seconds to load.

Message 40 of 155
Mstrbig
Master

@lukpac wrote:

However, I have also had problems with it not auto updating or even detecting that a new firmware is available. I know I had the same problem when I wanted to update to 2.5.1.32 back in July, and I think the problem existed last year as well. Has anyone been able to explain this? People were reporting the issue last December:

Also, is the UI very slow for everyone? Internet speeds are fine, but the UI is slow as molasses. Even the main page takes several seconds to load.

My RBR50 router never suggested an update. I manually updated mine as well. This is because some router settings like no Armor or Circle activated, etc, don't need to be updataed. So Netgear doesn't push the firmware to the routers, until the releases are reported on their website. Even then it may take a while for the router to receive an update. Some routers will get a notification and some won't. A couple RBR50 routers I've setup did get the notification and others did not. Now we are manually updating all of them.

Regarding slowness, I never experienced slowness, but did experience eroneous information for a day or 2 in both the GUI and app.

Message 41 of 155
tagteam
Virtuoso

@Mstrbig wrote:Regarding slowness, I never experienced slowness, but did experience eroneous information for a day or 2 in both the GUI and app

I am currently experiencing the issue with erroneous information. The first time I went through the web GUI after the update to

2.7.0.70, the router indicated "Update failed" despite the fact the indicated version was   2.7.0.70. Just several minutes ago, the indication in both of my satellites on the web GUI was that the firmware was   2.7.0.70, yet "downloading firmware" came up on the firmware page. About a minute later, the GUI read "No new firmware available". Kind of whacky.    

Message 42 of 155
Mstrbig
Master

@tagteam wrote:

@Mstrbig wrote:Regarding slowness, I never experienced slowness, but did experience eroneous information for a day or 2 in both the GUI and app

I am currently experiencing the issue with erroneous information. The first time I went through the web GUI after the update to

2.7.0.70, the router indicated "Update failed" despite the fact the indicated version was   2.7.0.70. Just several minutes ago, the indication in both of my satellites on the web GUI was that the firmware was   2.7.0.70, yet "downloading firmware" came up on the firmware page. About a minute later, the GUI read "No new firmware available". Kind of whacky.    

I rebooted through the WEB GUI 2 or 3 times, went to devices that were reporting wired, when wireless and on the wrong satellite, and the info finally showed correctly over a 24 to 48 hour period. The last 3 updates were out of the box setups. When installation was complete the router was on 2.5.1.16. We manually updated them, even before any device were connected, and the WEB GUI and app still reported wrong info for a day or so.

Message 43 of 155
tagteam
Virtuoso

@Mstrbig wrote:

@tagteam wrote:

I rebooted through the WEB GUI 2 or 3 times, went to devices that were reporting wired, when wireless and on the wrong satellite, and the info finally showed correctly over a 24 to 48 hour period. The last 3 updates were out of the box setups. When installation was complete the router was on 2.5.1.16. We manually updated them, even before any device were connected, and the WEB GUI and app still reported wrong info for a day or so.

Yes, I'm not even at the 24-hour period yet - I just updated last night so it's been about 12 hours. Hopefully, this is self-resolving but, frankly, I don't care that much provided the units continue to function properly (which appears to be the case).

Message 44 of 155
lukpac
Apprentice

@Mstrbig wrote:

@lukpac wrote:

My RBR50 router never suggested an update. I manually updated mine as well. This is because some router settings like no Armor or Circle activated, etc, don't need to be updataed. So Netgear doesn't push the firmware to the routers, until the releases are reported on their website. Even then it may take a while for the router to receive an update. Some routers will get a notification and some won't. A couple RBR50 routers I've setup did get the notification and others did not. Now we are manually updating all of them.

Regarding slowness, I never experienced slowness, but did experience eroneous information for a day or 2 in both the GUI and app.

According to the release notes, the firmware updates are not limited to Armor and Circle fixes/updates.

And to my knowledge, updates don't get pushed, Orbi periodically checks to see if an update is available. That no updates show even when manually checking suggests there's a problem with how Netgear is posting them.

Message 45 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

FW updates can get auto pushed from NG. Not all users systems will see FW udpates on the RBRs web page. 

Its highly recommended for users who want to udpate, even if seen in the RBRs web page to, manually download the FW files from NG download site:

https://www.netgear.com/support/

Unpack the zip files then apply them using the manual FW update section of the RBRs web page. User can also manually update the RBS using the RBS web page first. Then apply the update to the RBR lastly. 

Users should power OFF the RBS and RBR for 1 minute then back on after the FW has been applied. IF users see problems after this, please perform a factory reset and setup from scratch. Do not load any saved backup configurations from file here. 

@lukpac wrote:

According to the release notes, the firmware updates are not limited to Armor and Circle fixes/updates.

And to my knowledge, updates don't get pushed, Orbi periodically checks to see if an update is available. That no updates show even when manually checking suggests there's a problem with how Netgear is posting them.

Message 46 of 155
lukpac
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

FW updates can get auto pushed from NG. Not all users systems will see FW udpates on the RBRs web page. 

What are you basing that on?

Message 47 of 155
tagteam
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Its highly recommended for users who want to udpate, even if seen in the RBRs web page to, manually download the FW files from NG download site:

Sorry to have to disagree but I've done a boatload of firmware updates and the only updates that have gone without a hitch are those that I have seen in the firmware update section. The updates I've done with manual downloads have required some massaging and the latest update, although I managed to get through the process, kept throwing an internal sever error for no apparent reason. In the future, I'm planning to stick with updating only when an update appears in the web GUI firmware update section.

Message 48 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

Ready many user posts and exeperiences. Also information form NG forum modeerators. 

Message 49 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

Usually errros like that are a browser cache or browser issue. 

I have never seen any FW update errors whatsoever with using manual FW update files.

User can do what they choose of course. Just a recommendation. Up to users to do what they want. 

@tagteam wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Sorry to have to disagree but I've done a boatload of firmware updates and the only updates that have gone without a hitch are those that I have seen in the firmware update section. The updates I've done with manual downloads have required some massaging and the latest update, although I managed to get through the process, kept throwing an internal sever error for no apparent reason. In the future, I'm planning to stick with updating only when an update appears in the web GUI firmware update section.

Message 50 of 155
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7