Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Upgrade from Arris

Yarrow
Aspirant

New Upgrade from Arris

Hello, I'm having some issues with my network setup that I was hoping to get help with. I've been playing around with the firmware and reading through the forums for my answers but haven't been able to get all of them to complete this network how I had in mind.

So I'm upgrading from a standard ARRIS Cable Modem/Router provided by my ISP. This ARRIS router does not have a Static IP. Although I do have DDNS setup with NOIP. I have a few old phones and security cameras setup with Static IP's and Port Forwarding set up for them. Im trying to work out how to replicate this with my Orbi..

I have my ORBI RBR50 set in ROUTER_MODE(for vpn and other features).

The ARRIS router has a Gateway of 192.168.0.1

The RBR50 router has an Internal IP of 192.168.1.1

The Orbi Satellite has an Internal IP of 192.168.1.2

Im looking to split the network into two subnets. I have a few family members whose devices should connect to a seperate network than the security cameras. Right now, I havent made any changes to the ARRIS, it is still broadcasting WIFI, no changes to NAT, my other family members can still get to the internet. The Orbi in ROUTER_MODE created a second subnet. I've changed the STATIC_IPs for my security camers to the (1.x) subnet. What Im unsure on exactly is how to Port Forward from the ARRIS(0.1 subnet) to ORBI(1.1 subnet) and then onto the security cameras. I've tried the Port Forwarding options but can't get it working.

Note: I don't see an External IP for the RBR50, just the internal stated above.

Reading up on communicating between subnetworks, I've seen these 3 approaches; VLAN, Static Routes, Router-to-Router configuration. I've been trying to read up on each and find a solution but not there yet. Hopefully someone has been down this road before.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Mstrbig
Master

Re: New Upgrade from Arris

@Yarrow wrote:

Im looking to split the network into two subnets. I have a few family members whose devices should connect to a seperate network than the security cameras. 

The Orbi only has provisions for 1 subnet. But since you are running a double NAT setup, why not have the family members setup on the Arris router's 192.168.0.1 network and the rest on your Orbi 192.168.1 network. 

There is also this fix, but use at your own risk:

https://vmexplorer.com/2019/07/23/2055/

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Mstrbig
Master

@Yarrow wrote:

Im looking to split the network into two subnets. I have a few family members whose devices should connect to a seperate network than the security cameras. 

The Orbi only has provisions for 1 subnet. But since you are running a double NAT setup, why not have the family members setup on the Arris router's 192.168.0.1 network and the rest on your Orbi 192.168.1 network. 

There is also this fix, but use at your own risk:

https://vmexplorer.com/2019/07/23/2055/

Message 2 of 3
Yarrow
Aspirant

This is the solution I ended up going with after some playing around. Sorry about the late reply btw, thanks for the help.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7