Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New to Orbi - RBK50 / RBR50 V2 - rebooting often

GregCook
Guide

New to Orbi - RBK50 / RBR50 V2 - rebooting often

Hi All

new to orbi and coming from a d7000

Have the RBK50 kit. Live in New Zealand.

Have set up the router, did a factory restore and installed 2.5.1.8 firmware.  

Ran the unit without the satellite at all.  so we are talking a stand alone rbr50 essentially.

Went through and set up my device allowed DHCP starting at 192.168.1.10, set some reserved addresses for house alarm, printer, nas etc ( all in the .2 - .9 range ) also set up other items to have some specific reserved addresses higher up..

Had to do a manul configuration to work with our fibre provider, PPPOE 

Have Enabled vlan bridge by tag group with ID 10.  All required for spark in NZ.

Device connects fine, as do all the wireless and wired devices.

On 2.5.1.8 i found the router would reboot often im talking every 5 - 20 minutes, i then manually upgraded to 2.5.1.16 as that wasnt showing as an option,  same problem, rolled back to 2.3.5.30 ( based on reading here ) had a stable connection for about 8 hours, now the device was showing a firmware upgrade to 2.5.1.16, so i did that using the auto update, seemed to work better however rebooting started again after 1 hour, ended up rolling back to 2.3.5.30 which is where i currently sit,

The device has rebooted after 3 hours this time, and right now has been running for 3.  i did change the 2.4ghz band to site on 6 rather than auto as i read there were issues with that?

my device is also showing it wants me to upgrade to 2.5.1.16  which for now im not doing.

So ive read a bit about the device rebooting.  this is a V2 model, could that come with issues?  when its running it runs fine, speed and coverage is good, id be very happy with it, but when its rebooting often its infuriating..

could anyone tell me if setting up reserved addresses is a problem for this unit?  im not a router expert, i have a mix of devices which dont use dhcp and for these devices i notice that they dont appear in my attached devices unless i reserver the same IP for them?  for the rest i normally allow DHCP assignment, and just reserve the address for that mac address.

The logs are all but useless as they just show that the device has re initialised and the uptime is reset, i know there is a debug.htm page and wondering if i need to be capturing logs in there to determine whats going on?  Does netgear look at those , could they help.

So really just looking for some help to stop rebooting.  im guessing its down to a device trying to connect and crashing it some how..  

hope you can help or provide some next steps i can review.

THank you

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 41
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You're problem is with  2.5.1.8

at this point if your system wants to update that's your best bet 

Message 2 of 41
GregCook
Guide

Hi

Yeah cant say i agree sorry, there is no real need to upgrade, i already tried .16 and had issues..  what my system thinks it wants and what works are two different things 🙂

Message 3 of 41
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@GregCook wrote:

Hi

Yeah cant say i agree sorry, there is no real need to upgrade, i already tried .16 and had issues..  what my system thinks it wants and what works are two different things 🙂

I think you're missing my point.................which is stop doing manual updates.  The only reason I mentioned the upgrade at this point is that I've read of some success with the other version.  Your only other option (other than sit there and suffer) would be to revert back to a previous stable version.

Good luck

Message 4 of 41
GregCook
Guide

Heya

So I think you missed the part where I said after reverting backwards it showed on the device I needed to upgrade ( from .30 to .16) and so I did that as per the device firmware update method. Eg not manually . That still didn’t work so I rolled back. I’m not just upgrading manually. I’ve used both approaches. Right now I’m 8 hours without a reboot. On .30. Biggest change was setting 2.4ghz to fixed channel 6 rather than auto as I read that might help. . Why I don’t know

Message 5 of 41
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@GregCook wrote:
Heya

So I think you missed the part where I said after reverting backwards it showed on the device I needed to upgrade ( from .30 to .16) and so I did that as per the device firmware update method. Eg not manually . That still didn’t work so I rolled back. I’m not just upgrading manually. I’ve used both approaches. Right now I’m 8 hours without a reboot. On .30. Biggest change was setting 2.4ghz to fixed channel 6 rather than auto as I read that might help. . Why I don’t know

what I'm saying IF you reverted....did it ever stablize?  

Pay no attention to what the device says about upgrading.  IF your system needs an update NG will push it to you automatically.  No acttion required on your part.

this is where I think you keep making your mistake..." after reverting backwards it showed on the device I needed to upgrade ( from .30 to .16) and so I did that as per the device firmware update method. Eg not manually "

IF you had to click something to perform an update that IS manual.

Message 6 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Above suggestions working:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Satellite-Drop-Connection-time-to-time/m-p/1890341/highli...

You can try Voxels FW for Orbi:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...
You can revert back to stock FW if it doesn't work out for you. 

For doing any FW updates, I recommend avoiding the auto update FW section of the router. Many posters have had problems with this feature and is not stable to use. Seems to break systems or causes problems more than anything else. 

First manually download the RBS and RBR FW files from here.

http://kb.netgear.com/en_US/000061838/

Unpack the FW from the .zip files. 

Use a wired PC for this process. Safari(Mac), IE11, Firefox or Opera browsers are recommended.

Then send the RBR FW file lastly.

Factory reset the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch. After makeing sure the system works after setting up, be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. This saves time if a reset is needed again. 

@GregCook wrote:

Hi All

new to orbi and coming from a d7000

Have the RBK50 kit. Live in New Zealand.

Have set up the router, did a factory restore and installed 2.5.1.8 firmware.  

Ran the unit without the satellite at all.  so we are talking a stand alone rbr50 essentially.

Went through and set up my device allowed DHCP starting at 192.168.1.10, set some reserved addresses for house alarm, printer, nas etc ( all in the .2 - .9 range ) also set up other items to have some specific reserved addresses higher up..

Had to do a manul configuration to work with our fibre provider, PPPOE 

Have Enabled vlan bridge by tag group with ID 10.  All required for spark in NZ.

Device connects fine, as do all the wireless and wired devices.

On 2.5.1.8 i found the router would reboot often im talking every 5 - 20 minutes, i then manually upgraded to 2.5.1.16 as that wasnt showing as an option,  same problem, rolled back to 2.3.5.30 ( based on reading here ) had a stable connection for about 8 hours, now the device was showing a firmware upgrade to 2.5.1.16, so i did that using the auto update, seemed to work better however rebooting started again after 1 hour, ended up rolling back to 2.3.5.30 which is where i currently sit,

The device has rebooted after 3 hours this time, and right now has been running for 3.  i did change the 2.4ghz band to site on 6 rather than auto as i read there were issues with that?

my device is also showing it wants me to upgrade to 2.5.1.16  which for now im not doing.

So ive read a bit about the device rebooting.  this is a V2 model, could that come with issues?  when its running it runs fine, speed and coverage is good, id be very happy with it, but when its rebooting often its infuriating..

could anyone tell me if setting up reserved addresses is a problem for this unit?  im not a router expert, i have a mix of devices which dont use dhcp and for these devices i notice that they dont appear in my attached devices unless i reserver the same IP for them?  for the rest i normally allow DHCP assignment, and just reserve the address for that mac address.

The logs are all but useless as they just show that the device has re initialised and the uptime is reset, i know there is a debug.htm page and wondering if i need to be capturing logs in there to determine whats going on?  Does netgear look at those , could they help.

So really just looking for some help to stop rebooting.  im guessing its down to a device trying to connect and crashing it some how..  

hope you can help or provide some next steps i can review.

THank you

Message 7 of 41
Retired_Member
Not applicable

it's a firmware issue

Message 8 of 41
GregCook
Guide

Thank you. This is the first sensible reply. I’ll report back on the details you asked for. In terms of locations the devices are about 30 feet. But You’ll also notice I said this was happening without satellites connected or turned on. So the distance shouldn’t be a factor .

More details to come
Message 9 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep us posted. 

@GregCook wrote:
Thank you. This is the first sensible reply. I’ll report back on the details you asked for. In terms of locations the devices are about 30 feet. But You’ll also notice I said this was happening without satellites connected or turned on. So the distance shouldn’t be a factor .

More details to come

Message 10 of 41
GregCook
Guide

Ok Some Responses.

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Spark NZ provided ONT 

https://support.huawei.com/enterprise/en/access-network/echolife-hg8240h-pid-8952145

"What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to"

Basically exactly 30 feet.  However when doing most of my testing it was done without the satellite to try and rule that out.  I do have the satellite running now.  Last night i got 8 hours on the device ( obviously no one using it ) this morning it crashed and has been up for 3 hours

"Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings"

all settings have been enabled during testing.

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

All aside from the 20/40 have been disabled during testing.  What is the 20/40 setting and also the preamble, how does that work, those two settings have not been updated yet

At this point when i received the Units the had 2.5.1.8 installed.  I factory reset them before even starting.  Other than to set up internet connection settings the device was factory, rebooting constantly.

I then manually installed 2.5.1.16 ( as the update link and check for new firmware found nothing ).   after manual install similar issue.

rolled backwards to 2.3.5.30.  This helped get the reliability up a bit, not as frequent a crash, but still rebooting everyfew hours.  This was obviously a manual process.

did the check firmware and noticed it now was finding 2.5.1.16 as an option, figured id try that again using the auto update.  NO good rolled back again manually

I should note that i have not factoy reset the device since the update to .16 and the rollback to .8 .

It seems to be that right now with teh RBR that regardless of firmward i am still having random reboots. Have set 2.4 to channel 6.

Not sure the best way to see other wifi points, assume the list in my laptops wifi list of available connections would be an indication, its not massive

Hope that helps with some details

Message 11 of 41
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm wondering what you have learned from all of this?

Message 12 of 41
GregCook
Guide

Hi,

not to be rude but if you have nothing of value to offer perhaps you can troll another post.  Im looking for some help and at this point you have provided nothing of value.  Thanks

Message 13 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ONT has a built in router I believe. Do you know if the ONT is bridged fully? If not, then this could be a problem for the RBR.

One thing I notcie as well from the spec sheet:

IGMP v2/v3 snooping

Seen that some IGMP Protocols can cause odd issues with Orbi systems. 

Wondering if your RBR is faulty. If resets have been perfomed and it still reboots regardless of FW versions, someting isn't working on the RBR. 

The 20/40Mhz sets the wifi connection rate to a lower rate on 2.4Ghz if there are wifi neihgbors near by if left at default. You can disable this if you uncheck the check box and then 2.4Ghz connections will be at 40Mhz only. Kind of a good neighbor operation to work with other wifi neighbors near by. You can also reduce the power output of your system to help avoid this. 

@GregCook wrote:

Ok Some Responses.

Spark NZ provided ONT 

https://support.huawei.com/enterprise/en/access-network/echolife-hg8240h-pid-8952145

"What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to"

Basically exactly 30 feet.  However when doing most of my testing it was done without the satellite to try and rule that out.  I do have the satellite running now.  Last night i got 8 hours on the device ( obviously no one using it ) this morning it crashed and has been up for 3 hours

"Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings"

all settings have been enabled during testing.

All aside from the 20/40 have been disabled during testing.  What is the 20/40 setting and also the preamble, how does that work, those two settings have not been updated yet

At this point when i received the Units the had 2.5.1.8 installed.  I factory reset them before even starting.  Other than to set up internet connection settings the device was factory, rebooting constantly.

I then manually installed 2.5.1.16 ( as the update link and check for new firmware found nothing ).   after manual install similar issue.

rolled backwards to 2.3.5.30.  This helped get the reliability up a bit, not as frequent a crash, but still rebooting everyfew hours.  This was obviously a manual process.

did the check firmware and noticed it now was finding 2.5.1.16 as an option, figured id try that again using the auto update.  NO good rolled back again manually

I should note that i have not factoy reset the device since the update to .16 and the rollback to .8 .

It seems to be that right now with teh RBR that regardless of firmward i am still having random reboots. Have set 2.4 to channel 6.

Not sure the best way to see other wifi points, assume the list in my laptops wifi list of available connections would be an indication, its not massive

Hope that helps with some details

Message 14 of 41
GregCook
Guide

Thank you.  The ONT is not something i can check but my understanding is it is fully set up for NZ.  ONT is owned by the fibre providers so part of the network not part of the environments i can play with

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/NetgearISPSettings#sparkorbi

the above link is the Orbi settings we use for NZ.  

Thats the only thing that we set up.

Having said the above, ORBI is used throughout nz and i see people with good results.

I have now turned the orbi on, have changed the wifi password, and disconnected every possible device basically its a powered on box doing nothing with no internet connect, lets see if it reboots .. back to total basics.

Message 15 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, if your inputting PPPoE values then the ONT should be bridged. 

Keep us posted. 

Message 16 of 41
GregCook
Guide

Ok so a further update.

Today i rang the RBR50 isolated from everything.. i had one laptop connected via wifi to allow me to see the logs etc..

No internet connection or wan or anything...  just a RBR50 with power.

Unit ran for about 3 - 4 hours.  didnt reboot.  Then i noticed the network was gone, I waited for the device to reboot as it normally does, however this time i noticed nothing coming back up.  Kinda strange..  checked the router, the power switch was on, but no green power LED. no unit connection status LED either WTF.  So i turned the unit off and back on  and it worked again... its now sitting there with a magenta flashing light as there is no internet connection and running for 1 hour.

So question .  do the devices power off, shut down etc, kinda strange it would do that..

Feels like this is a dud and i will need to get a replacement..  Thats going to be challenging in itself.

Cheers

Message 17 of 41
GregCook
Guide

Next update.  device crashed again, same scenario, no connections, no internet, just sitting there with a purple light, and decided to had enough.  so im somewhat convinced the device is a dud... time to figure out how to exchange it.

Message 18 of 41
Liquidcore
Star

Hey Greg, certainly sounds like a dud! I have the RBK50 on 2degrees and it operates fine (apart from not being able to handle gigabit PPPoE but that's another story!)

Hopefully exchanging it will be a bit easier now that the alert level has dropped?
Message 19 of 41
GregCook
Guide

Nice to get a sanity check from another kiwi!! And good to know it can work. Are you not getting 900mbps . I’m only on a 100mbps plan and getting full speed on that.

Thank you. I’ll speak to PBTech.
Message 20 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Return the system or ask NG for an RMA. 

@GregCook wrote:

Next update.  device crashed again, same scenario, no connections, no internet, just sitting there with a purple light, and decided to had enough.  so im somewhat convinced the device is a dud... time to figure out how to exchange it.

Message 21 of 41
theoak
Luminary

So, sadly, I am experiencing random reboots.  I have tried 2.5.1.8, 2.5.1.16, and I have even downgraded to 2.3.5.30.  Random reboots on all.

Support had me:

1. Change to channel 11 and 44.

2. Swap a power adapter between one of the satellites and the router.

3. Have the Orbi update me to what it wanted it to ... which was 2.5.1.16.  Hence the update file came from where ever the Obri pulled it from, versus me manually  downloading and applying the update.  So the system ended up updating from 2.3.5.30 to 2.5.1.16.

Lets see what happens ...

Maybe the above ideas may help you.

Message 22 of 41
GregCook
Guide

Unfortunately I’ve done all the above. Including letting it do it’s updates. So far that hasn’t resolved my issues . :(. Best of luck though
Message 23 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Does this happen wtih Voxels FW as well? 

Happens with the RBR online connected with RBS OFF? 
Happens with the RBR disconnected from the ISP modem/ONT? 

@theoak wrote:

So, sadly, I am experiencing random reboots.  I have tried 2.5.1.8, 2.5.1.16, and I have even downgraded to 2.3.5.30.  Random reboots on all.

Support had me:

1. Change to channel 11 and 44.

2. Swap a power adapter between one of the satellites and the router.

3. Have the Orbi update me to what it wanted it to ... which was 2.5.1.16.  Hence the update file came from where ever the Obri pulled it from, versus me manually  downloading and applying the update.  So the system ended up updating from 2.3.5.30 to 2.5.1.16.

Lets see what happens ...

Maybe the above ideas may help you.

Message 24 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if an RMA does anything...

@GregCook wrote:
Unfortunately I’ve done all the above. Including letting it do it’s updates. So far that hasn’t resolved my issues . :(. Best of luck though

Message 25 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7