Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New user problems

JoshBear
Aspirant

New user problems

Hi all

i was using the BT whole home mesh network through 6 disks but unfortunately after a poor firmware release it became unstable dropping connection every few mins.  This makes working from home almost impossible.  So I bought the Orbi and an extra satellite.   Using the test part of the app I get 35mbs download and 10mbs upload over a property of 5000 square feet.   

Howver over the past 24 hours I keep getting drop outs where the fan symbol still shows on the iPad and iPhone but safari doesn’t load. Speed test won’t load either.  Tonight I am in bed and had to tether to my iPhone even though there is a full fan icon in here.  

Anyideas what what could be the cause?

Thanks

josh

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New user problems

What Mfr and model # ISP modem do you have? 

What FW version is currently loaded on the router and satellite? 

What is the distance between the router and satelllite? Feet?

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try disabling Beamforming, MIMO, Daisy Chaing and Fast Roaming and see what happens...

Message 2 of 8
JoshBear
Aspirant

Hi

Thanks for the response

What Mfr and model # ISP modem do you have? - BT Smarthub latest version

What FW version is currently loaded on the router and satellite? router 2.1.4.10.   satelite the same

What is the distance between the router and satelllite? Feet?  router and sat 1  5 feet but two walls.  sat 2 is the next floor upand maybe 10 feet away

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try disabling Beamforming, MIMO, Daisy Chaing and Fast Roaming and see what happens...

I havent tried these yet but have only just realised that it should been set to AP mode which I have done.  Will give this a go for 24 hours to see if issues go away.

thanks

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, let us know how it goes.

Ya if your ISP modem has a built in router then one option is to use the Orbi in AP mode.

Message 4 of 8
JoshBear
Aspirant

Hi

just coming back.  Apologies for the delay.  Set the orbi to AP mode and all has been working very well. The WiFi has generated zero complaints from two teenagers so for me that is the gold standard.

However every so often the main orbi turns pink.  Solid light not flashing.   During these periods lasting about 30 seconds the WiFi still works.  

Any my idea what is causing this.   Orbi connected to bt smart hub via Ethernet.   Smart hub has WiFi turned off but I do use the Ethernet ports on the smart hub to give connection to powerling plugs that feed a network in another part of the house.   Just sharing in case relevant.

Thanks for any help

josh 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that AP mode is working now.

Shouldn't be seeing any PINK led unless there is some sort of interference.

Which port on the Orbo are you using to connect it to the main host router? WAN or LAN port?

The Orbi isn't connected to any of these powerline plugs is it?

Might turn OFF these power plugs and see if the Orbi still displays PINK...

What channels are you using for the Orbi on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz? Auto or manual.

Message 6 of 8
JoshBear
Aspirant

Hi,

thansk for the help

Which port on the Orbo are you using to connect it to the main host router? WAN or LAN port?

The main orbi unit is connected via ethernet to the BT smart hub by a cable going to the yellow port on the Orbi

The Orbi isn't connected to any of these powerline plugs is it?  No.  the powerline unit comes from the BT home hub ethernet ports and finds a cat 5 network in the house.  I need this as it also sends the internet to an annex

What channels are you using for the Orbi on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz? Auto or manual.  On Auto for 2.4 currently on channel 9.   5 is not auto and set to 48.

Thanks for any more help to stop this pink light thing

Josh

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting 2.4Ghz channel to manual channel 1, 6 or 11.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7