Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AC 5300 and Orbi AC3000

sandman1862
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC 5300 and Orbi AC3000

I am trying to boost the outdoor signal from my Nighthawk AC5300 to extend to a pier.  I have a piece of equipment that sends data to a receiver inside the house currently.  I want to palce the receiver closer to the pier and use an access point to access it as it is ethernet connected.  Would the Orbi AC3000 work in this instance to extend the range to the shed to decrease the signal distance that the sensors have to their receivers?  I need the access point (which is wireless) to send the signal back to the house but the signal from the access point isn't strong enough the reach the house.  I am hoping that placing the Orbi outside the building would help with the signal.

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AC 5300 and Orbi AC3000

How far are you trying to broadcast? 

What is your housing materials? metal side, brick, concrete, foil lined insulation, etc all do great jobs of blocking wifi.

having another AP can help but a lot depends on distance and materials you're trying to broadcast through. 

If you're outdoors, you can look at the RBS50Y which is the outdoor satellite. 

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

You might also look into a outdoor Orbi RBSY unit to go along with the Orbi 50 series system.

@sandman1862 wrote:

I am trying to boost the outdoor signal from my Nighthawk AC5300 to extend to a pier.  I have a piece of equipment that sends data to a receiver inside the house currently.  I want to palce the receiver closer to the pier and use an access point to access it as it is ethernet connected.  Would the Orbi AC3000 work in this instance to extend the range to the shed to decrease the signal distance that the sensors have to their receivers?  I need the access point (which is wireless) to send the signal back to the house but the signal from the access point isn't strong enough the reach the house.  I am hoping that placing the Orbi outside the building would help with the signal.

Message 3 of 5
sandman1862
Aspirant

I am broadcasting through a single 2x4 wall with Sheetrock on one side and a double pane window. I am trying to get a signal to a boathouse about 50 feet away from the outside of the building to place an access point so I can place the gateway for a monitoring station there instead of inside the house. The distance inside the house to the exterior wall is about 15'. The gateway is an ethernet hook-up. I have pretty good WiFi outside the boathouse building but the walls are concrete ( not cinder block ). The signal from the monitoring station is not really strong enough to go the entire 250' from it to it's gateway through the walls.  It is an open shot to the house. I am trying to place the gateway for the monitoring station inside the boathouse and have it upload to straight the internet via WiFi instead of via hardwire to the Netgear Knighthawk. I could but really don't want to run a cable to the boathouse at this time and place a switch.  It would be about a 90-100' run plus wherever it terminates in the building. This is why I was wondering if I could place an Orbi AC3000 outside and use something inside to hook up the ethernet for the gateway. 

Any ideas?

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Your best operation will be with wired LAN cable. Then place a wireless AP down at the boat house. That distance is too far realistically. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7