Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Not seeing all devices & forcing connection to satellite

mirunan
Aspirant

Not seeing all devices & forcing connection to satellite

Set up an RBK50 with 1 satellite and trying to force connection to a particular satellite and saw a bunch of threads, but didn't find an active solution so posting a new question.

When I login to the app (or website) I can't see the full list of devices connected.  The satellite shows that there is no devices connected.  I'm also not seeing my laptop connected at all.

Most of the questions/answers I found are from mid-late last year and the answer is upgrad FW, but I'm on the latest FW V2.5.1.8.

Any ideas?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Not seeing all devices & forcing connection to satellite

The story seems to be that when Netgear released new firmware to replace 2.3.5.30, the device naming and display business went whack-o.  They have since released 2.5.1.8 which some people claim has fixed the problem, and other people maintain that the problem still exists.  I remain firmly on 2.3.5.30, where my Attached Devices displays work the way I like.

I have no idea what the right thing to do is.  It is a major chore to download the previous firmware and perform a manual update on the router and satellites.  If it is really bugging you, that seems to be the only thing you can try.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

"Forcing a connection" is one of the most common questions, and the situation leaves a lot of people unhappy.  Basically, the Orbi follows a bunch of internet 802.11 standards which specify how WiFi access points (Orbi) and WiFi clients interact.  There are broadcast packets from the Orbi describing what it can do and packets from the device describing what it can do.  In the end, the device picks an access point to use and sends a connect request.  There is no mechanism to instruct the Orbi to connect a device to a particular access point.

People have suggested a number of ways to influence which Orbi unit a particular device elects to use.  It seems that devices vary in how they are programmed.  Phones, laptops, tablets are expected to move around, so they are constantly looking at the available access points to decide if they should change.  Devices that are not expected to move (tv's, thermostats, garage door openers, security cameras, do not have this programming.  Once they pick an access point, they tend to "stock".

One suggestion is to temporarily turn down the transmit level on the entire Orbi system, then go through the WiFi setup on a device.  If it is closer to a satellite and the signal is significantly better, it should connect to the satellite.  After the device is "where you want it", then the entire Orbi system transmit level can be restored.

Ironically, there is some controvery over whether the latest firmware is actually better in this regard than the previous firmware, specifically in regard to the display of attached devices.  It works for some people, while others report that it is comletely disfunctional.

Message 2 of 4
mirunan
Aspirant

Appreciate the response.  That makes sense.

I was trying to see what's connected to what and that's when I noticed half my devices aren't even showing up - so right now my satelitte shows nothing connected to it, but I have to assume some of the devices are connecting to it (esp. since my laptop is right beside the satelitte).

Any ideas of why all devices wouldn't be showing up in the app (or website for that matter)?

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

The story seems to be that when Netgear released new firmware to replace 2.3.5.30, the device naming and display business went whack-o.  They have since released 2.5.1.8 which some people claim has fixed the problem, and other people maintain that the problem still exists.  I remain firmly on 2.3.5.30, where my Attached Devices displays work the way I like.

I have no idea what the right thing to do is.  It is a major chore to download the previous firmware and perform a manual update on the router and satellites.  If it is really bugging you, that seems to be the only thing you can try.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7