Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Not trusted certificate issue

wrmann
Tutor

Not trusted certificate issue

The message boards are not definitive on the issue I’m having, which is causing significant intermittent internet connection issues for multiple devices on my network.

I attach a photo that shows what screen I get on my iPhone when the problem is happening. I first get a pop-up that says “Cannot verify server identity - the identity of outlook.office365.com can not be verified” and then when I click “Details” I get the attached screen. But it’s more than just this pop-up message, when I get it all connections in browser aren’t working either - either I get an unsafe warning or a Blocked warning or a login screen (for websites that I don’t login to). It’s odd.

I’ve tried forgetting and re-adding the network. I’ve tried rebooting the router and satellites. I’ve tried messing with settings on the impacted devices.

Right now - today Feb 2, 2022 - I just turned off access control to see if that helps. But surely disabling features shouldn’t be the only way to fix this issue? Thanks in advance for any help.

Note - all firmware is up to date (2.7.3.22)
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

NG deployes self asssigned certs for there routers. Something that may not be fully certified in other apps or devices. It's something that can be ignorned and shouldn't cause problems for email services. I would contact MS support for help and information regarding there product and configuration needed to ensure there products are working right. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Routerlogin-net-certificate-not-trusted/m-p/1988353#M104840

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Routerlogin-net-certificate-not-trusted/m-p/1988353#M104840

Message 2 of 7
wrmann
Tutor

I appreciate the response BUT this is an unsatisfying answer isn’t it?

It’s a little rich to suggest that Microsoft or Apple or Google (I’m running iOS and safari on mobile, windows and chrome on desktop) are the tail and Netgear is the dog - rather than the other way around.

Seems to me Netgear should step up and outline how their product (and device or computer or browser settings) needs to be configured to work on different common platforms - especially given that it seems to work better for me now with Access Control turned off. Please tell me if I’m wrong…
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Something you can contact NG support about of course:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Looks like for now, don't use Access Controls as others have found this resolves this. 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried powering OFF the ISP modem AND RBR and devices for 1 minute then back ON with the modem, router then your devices?

Message 5 of 7
wrmann
Tutor

Thanks again - yes I have tried that. And forgetting and re-adding network. And the other obvious hacks. It just keeps coming back. I also tried disabling private addressing on my phone to see if that helped but it didn't seem to.

Sure, I could pay for product support and then open a ticket. But does Netgear have a solution to the problem (that does not involve disabling features)? I am reluctant to pay for support if their solution is just going to be one of the following (which is all I see on the message board so far):

• this is someone else's problem
  • just don't enable access control
  • get a newer system from us

Etc., etc.

Thanks, I know this is a bit of a rant. But I just wish they were paying attention - at a minimum, this must impact thousands of customers as nothing about what I'm doing is particularly unique to me...

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I would reach out to a forum moderator via PM and have them review this:

@Blanca_O @KevinLiT 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation