× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI Connection to Xfinity keeps dropping

BRC1971
Aspirant

ORBI Connection to Xfinity keeps dropping

Hi Everyone,

I have had numerous and very frustrating issues over the past few weeks with connectivity between my Netgear Orbi and Xfinity Router. Connection between my Orbi Router and my Xfinity Modem continues to drop reapeatedly (3 to 4 times an hour for about 5 minutes each time). With working from home and kids doing remote learning...as you can imagine this is not ideal. I have the Orbi Modem in Access Point Mode.

I also have the xfinity modem (combo router) broadcasting Wifi signal due to the fact that I need to have some level of backup wifi connection from a connectivity perspective.

I am at wit's end...have signed up for Netgear's Gearhead support, which has not resolved any of the issues and have been on numerous calls with Comcast, which has not helped at all.

I have done numerous restart and resets of both the modem and router and it continues to have these issues. I have also looked through the posts on this site, but none of the posts or solutions have helped me.

Thank you in advance.

My home is about 4,500 square feet and have a large outdoor area (hence the two Outdoor Mesh Satellites).

My current set-up:

• Xfinity Modem
    Model: CGM4331COM
    XB-7
  • RBR50v2 - Router (2nd Floor)
    Firmware Version: V2.5.1.16
  • RBS50 - Orbi Satellite - 1 (2nd Floor)
    Firmware Version: V2.5.1.16
    50 Feet from Router Linear
  • RBW30 - Orbi Satellite - 2 (1st Floor)
    Firmware Version: V2.5.0.4
    30 Feet From Orbi Satellite - 1
  • RBS50 - Orbi Satellite - 3 (1st Floor)
    Firmware Version: V 2.5.1.16
    40 Feet from RBR50 Router
  • RBS50Y - Orbi Outdoor Satellite - 1
    Firmware Version: V 2.3.5.32
    40 Feet from Orbi Satellite - 3 (1st Floor)
  • RBS50Y - Orbi Outdoor Satellite - 1
    Firmware Version: V 2.3.5.32
    50 Feet from Orbi Outdoor Satellite - 1

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Advanced Wireless Settings (2.4Ghz)
This is Checked - Enable SSID Broadcast
This is Checked - Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence
This is Checked - Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings
CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347):   2347
Preamble Mode:   Automatic
Transmit Power Control:  100%

Advanced Wireless Settings (5 Ghz)
This is Checked - Enable SSID Broadcast
This is Checked - Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence
This is Checked - CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347) 2347
Preamble Mode: Automatic
Transmit Power Control 100%

This is Checked - Enable Daisy-Chain Topology

This is Checked - Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING
This is Checked - Enable MU-MIMO

2.4 GHz - Channel 11
5 GHz - Channel 48

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite, RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure the wifi signals on the modem are disabled if your using the Orbi system. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Enjoy. 

@BRC1971 wrote:

Thank you to everyone for your input.

Xfinity came out last night and provided me with a brand new XB-7 (replaced the existing XB-7 that I had) and that seemed to do the trick.

It surprises me that simply installing a new modem would have solved the problem, but I guess these devices do have glitches and do go bad...so far so good though.

Thanks again!

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What  happens if you disable wifi on the ISP router? Having both wifi  signals online maybe causing problems and interferences with Orbi wifi. You really only need 1 wifi signal. 

Whats the distanced between the modem and RBR? 

Be sure to set a IP address reservation for the RBR in AP mode on the ISP router. .
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 9
BRC1971
Aspirant

Thank you for the response.

What happens if you disable wifi on the ISP router? Having both wifi signals online maybe causing problems and interferences with Orbi wifi. You really only need 1 wifi signal.

I have tried this and this has not improved the situation.

Whats the distanced between the modem and RBR? They are right next to each other

Be sure to set a IP address reservation for the RBR in AP mode on the ISP router. .

OK so just assign an IP Address when I log into the Xfinity Modem?
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? No there are not...

Message 3 of 9
GMoGoody8
Luminary

It is never recommended to place an Xfinity Modem/Router next to another router unless the Xfinity Modem/Router is in bridge mode. 

This is because what isn't said is that depending on the services you are receiving from Comcast there are actually 6-10 SSIDs being broadcast from an Xfinity Router

1 - Your Private 2.4 LAN
2 - Your Private 5.0 LAN
3 - 2.4 open public hotspot
4 - 5.0 public hotspot
5 - 2.4 secure public hotspot
6 - 5.0 secure public hotspot
7 - 2.4 Xfinity Home Security if you subscribe
8 - 5.0 Xfinity Home Security if you subscribe

I only noticed this one time when running a WiFi sniffer in my house. 

Message 4 of 9
BRC1971
Aspirant

Thank you!

I don't have any other place to put it unfortunately...

Message 5 of 9
GMoGoody8
Luminary

Is there a reason you chose to keep the xfinity modem/router in "router" mode with the WiFi on and RBR50 in AP mode since they are that close to one another? 

- Slower Overall Speeds if XB7 is in bridge mode & RBR in router mode
 - Need For WiFi 6 (XB7 supports WiFi 6/802.11ax)

As a test to see if it is indeed interference can you put the RBR 50 in Router Mode and the xfinity modem/router in bridge mode?

Message 6 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

Have you changed out the network cable between your modem and Orbi router? 

Also, you have 8 satellites connected. Orbi suggests 6. You may try disconnecting 1 or 2 to see if the problem goes away. 

I went down your list and came up with these possible suggestions. 

This is Checked - Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence  - UNCHECK
RBS50 - Orbi Satellite - 1 (2nd Floor)50 Feet from Router Linear - MOVE CLOSER
RBW30 - Orbi Satellite - 2 (1st Floor) 30 Feet From Orbi Satellite - POSSIBLE MOVE CLOSER
RBS50 - Orbi Satellite - 3 (1st Floor) 40 Feet from RBR50 Router - MOVE CLOSER
RBS50Y - Orbi Outdoor Satellite - 1 40 Feet from Orbi Satellite - 3 (1st Floor) POSSIBLE MOVE CLOSER
RBS50Y - Orbi Outdoor Satellite - 1 50 Feet from Orbi Outdoor Satellite - 1 - MOVE CLOSER
RBS50 - Orbi Satellite - 3 (1st Floor) 40 Feet from RBR50 Router - POSSIBLE MOVE CLOSER
RBS50Y - Orbi Outdoor Satellite - 1 40 Feet from Orbi Satellite - 3 (1st Floor) POSSIBLE MOVE CLOSER
RBS50Y - Orbi Outdoor Satellite - 1 50 Feet from Orbi Outdoor Satellite - 1 MOVE CLOSER

I'm making these suggestions as distance, walls and wiring play a role in performance. If a satellite is too far away from another satellite or router, it can cause every satellite and device connected to it to have poor performance. I've had situations with various Orbi and other mesh products when the satellite was 20 feet away from a router or another satellite, because it was blocked by steel and concrete or a detached building where 2 concrete wall and other interference shortened the distance to get a better RSSI reading. An RSSI reading of -70 or above is good where -30 would be great!

Message 7 of 9
BRC1971
Aspirant

Xfinity came out last night and provided me with a brand new XB-7 (replaced the existing XB-7 that I had) and that seemed to do the trick.

It surprises me that simply installing a new modem would have solved the problem, but I guess these devices do have glitches and do go bad...so far so good though.

Thanks again!

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure the wifi signals on the modem are disabled if your using the Orbi system. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Enjoy. 

@BRC1971 wrote:

Thanks again!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series