Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI Lag Spikes while Gaming

ARCFISH
Aspirant

ORBI Lag Spikes while Gaming

Using an ORBI RBR40 Router + 2 Satellites

The system works great for everyone but my son, who gets crushed playing online games due to lag spikes.

The Orbi router is hooked up to an Arris Internet Modem provided by ISP.

The Orbi router replaces a Sagecom router (non mesh) that had no lag spike issues.

There are no double NAT issues.  (only 1 private IP address)

The problem persists on Wifi or Ethernet connetions, and applies to all devices connected to the network. Video streaming works fine. It is only a noticable issues for game play.  

I spoke with an extremely patient and helpful tech support agent who adjusted some things on my router to increase our overall network speed.

He even created a 'service' that enabled TCP port forwarding from the Gaming PC in question to the Gaming Server (@ Blizzard).  

The problem still persists.  I am beginning to think that Lag Spikes are inherent in the Mesh architecture.  If anyone has resolved a problem like this.  I'd appreciate any pointers.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Is the Gaming PC wired or wireless connected to the Orbi system? 

Are there other internet devices getting internet services while the gaming is going on? 

Message 2 of 5
ARCFISH
Aspirant

Router Model =  RBR40

Firmware = V2.3.5.32

Internet Modem = Arris TM1602

Lag happens when using ethernet or WiFi

Yes - there are other services in use during gaming.  I think we tested with no other servies running, but I may try that again to see what happens.

Message 3 of 5
robstall
Aspirant

I've the exact same issue (right down to the frustrated son). Currently I'm running pinging the router from a wireless device. About every 30 seconds, the ping will spike from <5ms to >2000ms. This happens when either wired or wireless and I might not have issues for days at a time and then the issue will start in again. I can't pin down just what triggers it and it is really only noticable when gaming. 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is other devices online and doing streaming or surfing while gaming or ping testing is happening?

Is gaming connected over wired or wireless? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@robstall wrote:

I've the exact same issue (right down to the frustrated son). Currently I'm running pinging the router from a wireless device. About every 30 seconds, the ping will spike from <5ms to >2000ms. This happens when either wired or wireless and I might not have issues for days at a time and then the issue will start in again. I can't pin down just what triggers it and it is really only noticable when gaming. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7