Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI Network setup planning

KegSed
Aspirant

ORBI Network setup planning

There is obviously a very active community here and with the wealth of (mis)information on the internet, I'd rather just see if I could pick ya'lls brain a bit.

My house is almost done being built.  4K sq ft. and I've wired most of the rooms with CAT6 all running to a central location.  I'm going to sign up for ATT Fiber 1GB when we move in.  Here's what I'm planning and I could use any feedback and pitfalls to watch for if possible:

Put the ATT modem in bridge mode and use the ORBI RBK50 as my router. 

I want to hardwire a 16 port non-manged switch to the router and hook all CAT6 lines that run to other rooms in the switch.

I want to hardware the two ORBI satellites to the main RBK50 router for wired backhaul.

I will (eventually) have quite a few wireless lights, cameras, etc hooked to the WiFi that I will want to access remotely if necessary.

In some of the rooms with multiple devices, I might use a smaller non-managed switch to hook them up which will be routed via the CAT6 mentioned before to the other non-managed switch which will be hooked to the RBK50.

Does any of the above seem unreasonable or have any potential issues?

I've read as much as I can and I like the speed of the ORBI systems but have read multiple issues about upgrading firmwares and dropped networks so I'm trying to plan out as best I can.

It's also possible that I suck it up with the ATT router for a couple of months until the newer ORBI WiFi6 system is released.  My assumption (I know I know) is that it will function similar to teh RBK50 so any potential issues with the system now will reflect in the future system.

I really appreciate anyone who answer's time and effort on a response. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Make sure the non managed switch(es) are also non green ethernet. Seen others report problems with Orib using these switches with this feature. 

Sounds like a nice plan. 

0 feet is recommended in between them to base router and satellite(s) with depending upon building materials.

Avoid modem router combo units if possible:

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Been issues surrounding ATT modem router combo units as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Installing-Orbi-behind-ATT-Pace-5268AC-gateway/td-p/1234191
Modem FW may have broke good speeds between the modem and Orbi in router mode:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBK50-Speed-Throttling-Wired-and-Wireless/td-p/1673291/jump-to...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-I-fixed-our-intermittent-internet-connectivity-problems-wi...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Slow-Wired-WAN-after-2-2-1-210-Upgrade/m-p/1676934/...

@KegSed wrote:

There is obviously a very active community here and with the wealth of information on the internet, I'd rather just see if I could pick ya'lls brain a bit.

My house is almost done being built.  4K sq ft. and I've wired most of the rooms with CAT6 all running to a central location.  I'm going to sign up for ATT Fiber 1GB when we move in.  Here's what I'm planning and I could use any feedback and pitfalls to watch for if possible:

Put the ATT modem in bridge mode and use the ORBI RBK50 as my router. 

I want to hardwire a 16 port non-manged switch to the router and hook all CAT6 lines that run to other rooms in the switch.

I want to hardware the two ORBI satellites to the main RBK50 router for wired backhaul.

I will (eventually) have quite a few wireless lights, cameras, etc hooked to the WiFi that I will want to access remotely if necessary.

In some of the rooms with multiple devices, I might use a smaller non-managed switch to hook them up which will be routed via the CAT6 mentioned before to the other non-managed switch which will be hooked to the RBK50.

Does any of the above seem unreasonable or have any potential issues?

I've read as much as I can and I like the speed of the ORBI systems but have read multiple issues about upgrading firmwares and dropped networks so I'm trying to plan out as best I can.

It's also possible that I suck it up with the ATT router for a couple of months until the newer ORBI WiFi6 system is released.  My assumption (I know I know) is that it will function similar to teh RBK50 so any potential issues with the system now will reflect in the future system.

I really appreciate anyone who answer's time and effort on a response. 

Message 2 of 9
KegSed
Aspirant

Thanks for the really prompt response!

I'll be on the lookout for what router/modem ATT gives me.  Seems the PACE version has the most issues, but won't know what they will give me until I sign up. Maybe I can ask them in advance to see what they plan on providing.  

The switches I've got picked out are all non-green ethernet as far as I can tell but thanks for the heads up there!

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully all will work well for you. Come back and share your experiences with us when you get it all setup. 

@KegSed wrote:

Thanks for the really prompt response!

I'll be on the lookout for what router/modem ATT gives me.  Seems the PACE version has the most issues, but won't know what they will give me until I sign up. Maybe I can ask them in advance to see what they plan on providing.  

The switches I've got picked out are all non-green ethernet as far as I can tell but thanks for the heads up there!

Message 4 of 9

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Avoid modem router combo units if possible:

Spot on there.

I would add a caution against using a modem/router in modem only mode.

I did that and whenever there was a power cut, the network got its knickers in a twist on reboot.

The modem took too long to start. The router beat it to it and was looking for the Internet connection before the modem was ready. It timed out and the rest of the network with an Internet free zone.

I eliminated the problem by buying an inexpensive modem-only box. A DM200 for my VDSL.

Message 5 of 9
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@michaelkenward wrote

Spot on there.

I would add a caution against using a modem/router in modem only mode.

AT&T doesn't have a modem, or gateway only device, neither for VDSL2 nor for fiber.   They also do not support 3rd party routers connected to the ONT on fiber installs.  The wireless radios can be turned off which is how I run my gateway .

@KegSed when the install happens, the Arris BGW210-700 would be the best choice for gateway.   Once you have the gateway , the DMZ function is called IP passthrough and is located in the firewall section of the management console .  I posted a screenshot in this forum of what the settings look like. AT&T support forums use the same forum software as here and is decent if you need help with their stuff.  

Message 6 of 9
KegSed
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies everyone.  It really helps with the planning. 

I believe the Arris is the model they are currently providing.  We have some friends who live in that neighborhood already and that's what he has.  He built out a full Ubiquity system (APs, not the Amplifi) and I thought he said he had the ATT guy let him turn his combo unit into a simple bridge to bypass.  Wouldn't that be better than doing the DMZ approach or is it about the same?

Assuming you are using ATT and the Orbi system, do you have any wifi cameras in your setup?  I've heard that there is sometimes some issues trying to tunnel in to get a live feed of some wifi cameras with the Orbi system although I'm not sure that's on Orbi's end or some of the Wifi cameras end. 

Thanks again for the information!

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can get the tech to bridge the modem fully so it passed a public IP address to a connected router, then you can use the Orbi in router mode and you'll be good to go in that configuration which is preferred. 

@KegSed wrote:

I believe the Arris is the model they are currently providing.  We have some friends who live in that neighborhood already and that's what he has.  He built out a full Ubiquity system (APs, not the Amplifi) and I thought he said he had the ATT guy let him turn his combo unit into a simple bridge to bypass.  Wouldn't that be better than doing the DMZ approach or is it about the same?

Assuming you are using ATT and the Orbi system, do you have any wifi cameras in your setup?  I've heard that there is sometimes some issues trying to tunnel in to get a live feed of some wifi cameras with the Orbi system although I'm not sure that's on Orbi's end or some of the Wifi cameras end. 

Message 8 of 9
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@KegSed wrote:

There were issues with port forwarding, but those were resolved.  I do have both an Amazon cloud cam and a Blink XT, and both are accessible from the public internet without the need for port forwarding .

It would be incorrect to call the connection bridged.  The gateway is still minimally involved. The Orbi does receive the external IP address when setup in IP passthrough. 

If the tech sets it up, that's going above and beyond what they're supposed to do.  

And yes, I have the BGW210 and Orbi RBK50. The Arris device is used only to deliver Uverse IPTV traffic to my TV's. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7