Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBK50 Lag Spikes While Gaming

Revenant-Knyght
Aspirant

ORBI RBK50 Lag Spikes While Gaming

I installed an ORBI RBK50 system last night. It has one extension.

I'm getting terrible lag spikes while playing games, to the point it's unplayable. This seems to be happening on computers that are not in the same room as the actual router module. Computer in the same room haven't shown the spikes yet. All computers are connected via WiFi.

My house is 2200 sqft, two stories. I have the Orbi router and satellite both in the downstairs, covering either side of the house.

My cable modem is a SB6190 Arris. I have Xfinity.

Firmware V2.3.5.30

Additionally, my computer upstairs initially connected via the 5GHZ network. However, now it only connects at the 2.4GHZ. This has slowed down the downloads substantially. Is there a way to set it to prefer the 5GHZ network?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RBK50 Lag Spikes While Gaming

Wired is preferred for gaming. Does this happend if wire connected? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

You can turn down the power on the 2.4Ghz radio top help get devices to prefer the 5Ghz radio.  Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are not coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem.

The SB6190 had a vulnerability a while ago. Not sure if it was fully fixed. Modem model is not recommended.  

Message 2 of 4
Revenant-Knyght
Aspirant

Thank you for the assistance. I appreciate the detailed response.  I went through the steps you mentioned without resolving the issue. Further research indicates I'm not the only person who has had this problem. I tested two other routers/extenders from two other manufactures that did not have this issue. This issue appears unique to the Orbi system itself. As such, I will be returning the system.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Something I don't see with mine. Have two xbox consoles running behind a RBK50. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7