Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR50 Rebooting and Unresponsive

fdanna
Star

ORBI RBR50 Rebooting and Unresponsive

New Orbi user here (3 months). Just starting having more frequent problems with the orbi locking up and becoming unresponsive. The only way to bring it back is to power reset. In my case, the wifi goes down and the router stops giving out IP addresses. Additionally, it will not respond to the app nor a connection via ethernet. Unfortunately, the log is cleared on reboot so I can never figure out what is happening. 

I also experience seemingly random reboots which may or may not be related. 

Any suggestion on how to troubleshoot this to get to the bottom?

FW: 2.3.1.60

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
fdanna
Star

Re: ORBI RBR50 Rebooting and Unresponsive

Short of having power issues, there’s no way what I’m doing should cause a router to reboot. The uptime on my SB2000 FAR exceeds the uptime on my netgear router and again, my SB2000 couldn’t cause a router reboot.

You can continue to make excuses for a subpar product but I see I’m not the only person having the same exact issues.

In any event, I begged Amazon for a refund and they graciously obliged. WIll never buy another Netgear product. 

Good luck!

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 16

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset been performed and setup from scratch since v60 update was applied? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 16
fdanna
Star

Has a factory reset been performed and setup from scratch since v60 update was applied? 

No. Is this required? If I have to do this, can I save the config and then just re-apply after clearing out?

Router mode. Arris SB8200

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 3800

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

This is a wired backhaul, but not more than 30ft nonetheless.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Not sure how this is relevant because it's not just the WiFi dying, it's the whole router. Completely frozen and unsponsive to pings either from internal lan or external wan. Incidentally, the satellite is still up and I can connect to it, but DHCP is unresponsive.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

@fdanna wrote:

No. Is this required? If I have to do this, can I save the config and then just re-apply after clearing out?

It's highly recommended to do a factory reset after a major FW update. Some users have some luck in updating and continuing with out a reset. For those that do experience odd problems, a reset and setup from scratch is recommended. Do not load a saved config file. One a reset and setup from scratch is done and check to see if the problem continues or not, if it doesn't, then save off a new backup config to file for v60. 

Checking for built in router here is all. Your fine here. 

Ok, should be still at least 30 feet in between the devices. Ensure Daisy Chain is disabled after you factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. Then add the satellites via wireless first, then connect the LAN cable to migrate to wired backhaul.  Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Not sure how this is relevant because it's not just the WiFi dying, it's the whole router. Completely frozen and unsponsive to pings either from internal lan or external wan. Incidentally, the satellite is still up and I can connect to it, but DHCP is unresponsive.

Need to know if any external wifi sources could be effecting the Orbi as they can cause problems. 

Let us know how the Orbi system works after the reset and setup from scratch then we'll go from there...

Message 4 of 16
fdanna
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@fdanna wrote:

It's highly recommended to do a factory reset after a major FW update. Some users have some luck in updating and continuing with out a reset. For those that do experience odd problems, a reset and setup from scratch is recommended. Do not load a saved config file. One a reset and setup from scratch is done and check to see if the problem continues or not, if it doesn't, then save off a new backup config to file for v60. 

Checking for built in router here is all. Your fine here. 

Ok, should be still at least 30 feet in between the devices. Ensure Daisy Chain is disabled after you factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. Then add the satellites via wireless first, then connect the LAN cable to migrate to wired backhaul.  Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Need to know if any external wifi sources could be effecting the Orbi as they can cause problems. 

Let us know how the Orbi system works after the reset and setup from scratch then we'll go from there...

Will have to find a window to do this factory reset. This supports 3 apartments and I have 40 devices and some static IP assignments, non-default LAN IP and port forwarding I have to setup. Is clicking the default settings button in the interface sufficient or do I need to use the physical reset button?

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can do either. I use the Ui.

Are these static IPs set on the devices or IP address "Reservations" for these devices set on the RBR? 

@fdanna wrote:

Will have to find a window to do this factory reset. This supports 3 apartments and I have 40 devices and some static IP assignments, non-default LAN IP and port forwarding I have to setup. Is clicking the default settings button in the interface sufficient or do I need to use the physical reset button?

Message 6 of 16
fdanna
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Are these static IPs set on the devices or IP address "Reservations" for these devices set on the RBR? 

@fdanna wrote:

These are reservations on the router itself. Will give it a shot next week.

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah ok, making sure. Static and Reservation are different. 

Hope it works out. 

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 16
fdanna
Star

@fdanna wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@fdanna wrote:

These are reservations on the router itself. Will give it a shot next week.

Did the whole reset and start from scratch. The unit is still deciding to reboot itself randomly. It was up for 18 hours before going down. I had the debug running and by the time I caught it an hour had gone by so when I downloaded the debug log there was nothing useful in there. I guess I have to call support.

Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes please contact NG support. Possible you need an RMA. Send the logs to support for review.

Keep us posted. 

Message 10 of 16
fdanna
Star

In an effort to save money I had bought a refurbished model. Apparently it wasn’t very refurbished 🙂 anyway when I looked up the serial number it goes back to 2016 so who knows how much the hardware had been used and abused. Amazon is going to refund all of my money and I bought a new unit which is coming today. Fingers crossed because this has been extremely disruptive.
Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah I see, Ya some refurbs are the greatest. Hopefully a NEW unit will work great for you. 

Message 12 of 16
fdanna
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ah I see, Ya some refurbs are the greatest. Hopefully a NEW unit will work great for you. 

So I got my replacement on May 13th. Everything worked for 3 weeks and then all of a sudden.... here I am again with constant reboots. I’m just out of my return window with Amazon and I’m stuck with another $300 paper weight. I can’t believe how horrible this product is and that Netgear continue to get away with selling it.

No combination of settings should ever cause the router to crash and reboot, not that my settings are anything too much beyond the default. 

I’ve combed through the debug logs to find some clue but they don’t seem to catch the moment where the router crashes. I do have a panic log but it just says 0x0 even though it’s 126k in size. 

Anyone have any suggestions on how to zero in on this? Is there an older firmware that was considered solid? 

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

IF two systems are exhibiting the same problems in a period of time, I presume this is not a NG Orbi issue, rather a envrionment issue. Other Orbi systems users have are working just fine including mine. Wifi is effected by environment, noises and surrounding wifi neighbors if you have any. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

Also others have mentioend at the Arris SB8200 can be problematic. 

Any chance you have a friend or family member or neighbor you could take the system to and test it out at a different location? 

Have you made contact with NG support yet? 

@fdanna wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So I got my replacement on May 13th. Everything worked for 3 weeks and then all of a sudden.... here I am again with constant reboots. I’m just out of my return window with Amazon and I’m stuck with another $300 paper weight. I can’t believe how horrible this product is and that Netgear continue to get away with selling it.

No combination of settings should ever cause the router to crash and reboot, not that my settings are anything too much beyond the default. 

I’ve combed through the debug logs to find some clue but they don’t seem to catch the moment where the router crashes. I do have a panic log but it just says 0x0 even though it’s 126k in size. 

Anyone have any suggestions on how to zero in on this? Is there an older firmware that was considered solid? 

Message 14 of 16
fdanna
Star

Short of having power issues, there’s no way what I’m doing should cause a router to reboot. The uptime on my SB2000 FAR exceeds the uptime on my netgear router and again, my SB2000 couldn’t cause a router reboot.

You can continue to make excuses for a subpar product but I see I’m not the only person having the same exact issues.

In any event, I begged Amazon for a refund and they graciously obliged. WIll never buy another Netgear product. 

Good luck!

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Was probably just a bad re-furbish unit is all. Not all Orbi is bad. Others are working well. 

Good luck in your endeavours. 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7