Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBS50 stopped connecting and cannot get it to connect back to router

jkraebel
Aspirant

ORBI RBS50 stopped connecting and cannot get it to connect back to router

I have at the RBR50/RBS50 Mesh system for almost 3 years and recently experienced some connectivity issues on the satellite unit (RBS50) and today it has disconnected and am not able to get it to reconnect to the router at all. Tried the sync option and also factory reset the satellite and removed it from the router and still not able to get it to sync and the satellite always goes to a solid Magenta light.

I am wondering if it just went bad and based on the cost of a new satellite I am considering buying a whole new system that is wifi 6 compatible unless anyone has any other suggestions. I recently updated the to latest firmware which sounds like it may not have been a good idea.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ORBI RBS50 stopped connecting and cannot get it to connect back to router

Did you restart the RBR50 (router)?

When the satellite turns magenta, that means that the satellite thinks it is working, but it is not getting an IP address from the router.

https://kb.netgear.com/31018/How-do-I-sync-my-Orbi-router-and-satellite 

You might try saving the configuration file to your computer, doing  a "factory reset" on the router, and then reloading the configuration file.

(because it is such a chore to do a complete setup)

If loading the config file also fails, then the last step is a factory reset and complete setup on the router.

Even if you order a completely new system from Amazon today, you will be without a satellite for 24-48 hours, which leaves plenty of time to fool around.

Needing a new satellite does raise the question of (a) sinking more money into a technology that is "gradually becomming obsolete" or (b) taking the plunge and investing in the newest technology.  If you need coverage now, getting WiFi6 means picking a completely new product.  The Orbi WiFi 6 is not scheduled to ship until the end of October.

Sorry I don't have any quick solutions.

Message 2 of 3
jkraebel
Aspirant

Re: ORBI RBS50 stopped connecting and cannot get it to connect back to router

Thanks for the suggestion as that seems to have resolved the issue. I rebooted the RBR and power cycled the RBS and was bale to see it again.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7