Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI Wifi Problems

Orbi666
Initiate

ORBI Wifi Problems

We have had the ORBI wireless system for nearly two years now.  One Master and One sattelite.   We have had CONSTANT problems with the wifi.  We have had intermittent drops for devices, bandwidth issues (when checking wired from the broadband provider it's fine).  When contacting support, they want us to pay to troubleshoot THEIR issue.  At first they had me change some sort of packet size.  That didn't help.  I never heard back when I responded that it didn't work.  We just had to keep rebooting the whole system at least two times per week, sometimes.  They updated the firmware and that seemed to help the frequency of reboots, but then we weren't getting good wireless throughput.  (Not good for gaming).  Support suggested "something" in my house is causing the problem, but reboot seems to help temporarily.  So round and round I go.   I live in a typical 2 story house.  I don't have anything abnormal that would cause interference.  The old wireless router and hub we had before worked fine but we wanted a whole home system.  I understand wireless can be difficult to troubleshoot, but that is the world we live in and I would expect Netgear to be mining intel from every customer experience in the wild (real world) to understand what might be wrong and improve their system.    I am a patient person and very forgiving of tech companies trying to keep up with rapid developments and I have always been a fan of Netgear.  But, I'm sad to say, I'm on the hunt for a more resilient whole home system.  The advertising about ORBI being one of the best whole home systems does not reflect my experience.  Since Netgear doesn't want to hear what I have to say without paying them to hear it.  I thought I would tell them here.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 29
plemans
Guru

Sometimes the community forum can be more help than support can because you get a multitude of people helping out with suggestions or ideas to try.

Some details that can help us.

1. Modem. What modem are you using? A screen snip of your connections page can help too

2. What speeds do you pay for? What speeds do you get directly connected to the modem? What speeds do you get hardwired into the orbi? What website are you using for speedtesting and what computer are you using for speedtesting

3. House materials issue an issue. Plaster lathe, foil lined insulation, hvac,adobe, concrete, and brick all do a great job of blocking wifi signals. What is your house made of? And how many sq ft is it? Saying 2 story isn't enough info.

4. What firmware are you currently on with the orbi router and satellite?

5. When you're having issues it is all wireless devices or just one? And when the issue is going on do the hardwired devices have issues too? or just wireless?

6. Have you done a wireless channel scan to see how much interference is in your area? You can get free scanners for pc or android/ios. How many can you see?

7. How far apart are you router and satellite?

Message 2 of 29
Orbi666
Initiate

Thanks for the offer to assist.  It has been a long two year battle troubleshooting.  I've tried various routers, distances, locations for devices.  The two story is wood frame w/stucco exterior.  The orbi and sattelite are currently on top of each other floor-wise, but we've tried various locations.  The main orbi and cable modem (Netgear CM600) are aprox 10-15ft from area where all of our primary wireless devices and xbox are.  Currently on latest firmware.  It's a 1700 sq ft house.  Problems with various devices, and internet issues are intermittent and vary.  We have quite a few devices, but nothing that isn't standard for a household these days (4 cell phones, xbox, wireless garage door, wink hub for lights, 3-4 PC's.)  We had 200mbps and gig, no difference.  I think we are back at 200mbps now (because it didn't help).  Wireless speeds vary of course, but are not near what they should be.  We game a lot... various games all have issues.  It was fun troubleshooting that because of all the variables, but there is one constant in all of them....Orbi wireless.  Wired connection doesn't seem to have the same issues.  And a reboot often tends to work for a few days.  It really shouldn't be this difficult.  As a fairly tech saavy consumer with no more time or patience to troubleshoot, I'm just looking for a recommended wireless setup that is more reliable.

Message 3 of 29
plemans
Guru

Thats a tough one for me. I've used the tp-link M9plus, netgear orbi (several different kits), Arris mesh AX, Tenda mesh, Linksys routers and extenders.  I've always went back to orbi because of its reliable speeds and coverage. Thats why I say its hard is that I keep going back to orbi.

Have you tried shutting off the satellite and just running the router? Removing complications from the problem can help narrow the issue. 

Message 4 of 29
SkippyV
Initiate

Took the words from my mouth...experiencing the same issues.  Probably going to start looking into another router.  Will not be Netgear due to the fact their customer service is non-existant unless you pay for it.  Only takes one bad experience with a product to avoid that brand for a life time.

Message 5 of 29
LucP
Aspirant

Same issue here. I'm faily technical and have had too many problems. I have the RBR500 with with the RBS50 satellite as my house is ab out 1,400 sf on three floors. I have had a Ring doorbell for about 2 years and it was not always working consistently. I always assumed it was a doorbell problem so I finally decided to change it for a Nest Hello doorbell. That one worked well for a couple of days but then started dropping all the time, saying it was offline. I have been trying to troubleshoot the issue for more than 1 week and everything points to the WiFi which, when I do a WiFi analysis, seems to be going up, down, up, down, every 2 seconds. Since the new doorbell records 24 hours video, I assume it is more sensitive to this instability. In addition, I also bought a Nest Outdoor Camera and, when I place it just beside another camera I have on WiFi, it does not connect (while the other connects but has sometimes drop issues).

All in add, I'm also at the point of looking for a different mesh system. Because of my house configuration, the model and base are on the back of the house, on the 3rd floor (this is where the office is). The doorbell is outside the front door which is on the 1st floor, in the front of the house. I tried moving the satellite which is on the front wall on the second floor to the first floor but it seems like it is too far from the base (surprizing as there is no big wall in between, almost just two floors). So, I guess I need to find a system which allows me to have the base on the 3rd floor, a satellite on the 2nd floor and one on the 1st floor (that one would have to talk to the one on the satellite on the second floor). Does such system exist (daisy chain) or are all satellites connecting directly to the base (star configuration)? Would the Google Nest WiFi be better (considering I'm going with the Nest product for doorbell and camera)?

Thanks for any insight!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 29
CrimpOn
Guru

I installed an Orbi setup because too many complaints about "internet is slow" from my Netgear R7000.  2,000 sq. ft. on two floors with the router in one corner upstairs and the satellite in the middle downstairs.  Been going strong for about two years.  If I had the problems others do, I also would be looking for a different solution, BUT... this problem seems to me to be a lot like choosing any other product.

People who frequent this forum all have Orbi's.  Unlike @plemans , the R7000 and Orbi are all I have used for more than five years.  I think the Deco M9 looks pretty hot - but he dumped it!  We know all about what is lacking in the product we use every day, and almost nothing about any other product.

When I do get ready to look, my first step will be the user forums for the other products.  (Dampened my enthusiasm for Velop pretty quick!)

Message 7 of 29
LucP
Aspirant

Thanks @CrimpOn , that makes a lot of sense. If I stay with the Orbi, the only solution I can think of is to get a second satellite to put on the ground floor where I seem to get a lot of interference (many wifi networks show up from our my house and even my garage door wireless keypad outside sometimes can't connect to the opener inside). But I'll have to use daily chaining to get to get the signal from the second floor's satellite to the one on the first floor as simply moving the only satellite I have to the first floor does not provide a good connection from the base.

Any experience with using daisy chaining? I read on one of those threads that it should be turned off when connecting devices like the Nest. So, I've worried that spending another 200$ might not get a result at the end. Also, is getting a second RBS50 the best option or can I go with the RBW30 (smaller & cheaper) or the RBS50Y in this scenario of a 3rd unit through daisy chain?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 8 of 29
plemans
Guru

@LucP wrote:

Thanks @CrimpOn , that makes a lot of sense. If I stay with the Orbi, the only solution I can think of is to get a second satellite to put on the ground floor where I seem to get a lot of interference (many wifi networks show up from our my house and even my garage door wireless keypad outside sometimes can't connect to the opener inside). But I'll have to use daily chaining to get to get the signal from the second floor's satellite to the one on the first floor as simply moving the only satellite I have to the first floor does not provide a good connection from the base.

Any experience with using daisy chaining? I read on one of those threads that it should be turned off when connecting devices like the Nest. So, I've worried that spending another 200$ might not get a result at the end. Also, is getting a second RBS50 the best option or can I go with the RBW30 (smaller & cheaper) or the RBS50Y in this scenario of a 3rd unit through daisy chain?

I've used the orbi in both daisy chain, star configuration, and with a hardwired backhaul. All worked fairly well. The hardwired backhaul is the best but I did use daisy chain setup to cover my garage and its worked quite well. You don't have to get the RBS50 or RBS50y but it is something to keep in mind that the other versions don't use the 1733mbps backhaul but use the 866mbps. So put them at the end of the chain to prevent bottlenecking in the middle. 

I've used nest to with daisy chaining and it was able to sustain a decent connection. I do have over congested 2.4ghz in my area and this causes some issues with my Iot devices that are only on 2.4ghz. I usually dont' recommend using the auto setting for 2.4ghz but its made my 2.4ghz more stable and functional. this isn't always the case so try both auto and manually setting channels. 

I'd also report that I've used quite a few different mesh systems. they all have plus's and minus's but usually if a system is having issues related to house structure, wireless interference, etc----then they are all going to have the issue. I've found the main difference is stability. They've all went through periods of instability as firmware gets worked out. If I had to go for my top 3? 

1. orbi (some times gets a bad firmware but stable)

2. Arris (not as much firmware updates but stable. less features though. Faster but I'm using the AX so not a fair comparison.)

3. Tp-link M9plus (not as many updates, stays fairly stable, lower overall hardwired speeds and wireless speeds)

Message 9 of 29
LucP
Aspirant

@plemans thanks for the input, that's very useful. I think I woudl then go with adding an RBS50 but the issue is that it does not seem like it is selling anymore in Canada. I checked Amazon.ca and Bestbuy.ca and both sell the RBS20, not the RBS50 (unless I buy a whole new system with the base which I don't want to do). So, it seems like they are forcing me to buy a RBS20 which sells for 200$ (CAD) and even, the RBK22 is on sale for 250$ at BestBuy but I hesitate in doing that.

I'm not quite sure why no one is selling the RBS50 by itself anymore but that make me want to look at something else as this becoming a very expensive proposal. One option I might look at is to get a powerline to the first floor and move my RBS50 satellite there, connected through the backhaul ethernet as the signal does not quite reach there well. Do you think this could be a viable solution or is it better/simpler to get the RBS20 on my RBR50/RBS50 system?

Message 10 of 29
Glauman
Initiate

I’ve had the same bad experience. Frustrating that Orbi wants me to pay them to get their product to work.
Message 11 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Above suggestions working:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

@Glauman wrote:
I’ve had the same bad experience. Frustrating that Orbi wants me to pay them to get their product to work.

Message 12 of 29
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925

@Glauman wrote:

Smiley Mad

Message 13 of 29
agrince
Aspirant

I have the same problem. I have a main unit (RBK50) with 2 satellites. It worked fine from October 2019 until end of February 2020.

Now, it won't work at all even though it is connected and I got the blue light when I synced. 

My modem speed(Vodafone) is 70 mbps at the router, but on my laptop downstairs next to the satellite it is 800 kbps.

We can't get Netflix anymore either in the TV room where the other satellite is..

Does anyone know a better way to extend my wifi to the downstairs of my house?  I have wasted days trying to get this to work. Is there some way to diagnose what is wrong? Does this system simply break down easily?

At this point, I just want to find something that works. I don't understand most of what is written in these groups so telling me complicated things to do won't work. 

Any help is appreciated.

Geraldine

Message 14 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? 

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@agrince wrote:

I have the same problem. I have a main unit (RBK50) with 2 satellites. It worked fine from October 2019 until end of February 2020.

Now, it won't work at all even though it is connected and I got the blue light when I synced. 

My modem speed(Vodafone) is 70 mbps at the router, but on my laptop downstairs next to the satellite it is 800 kbps.

We can't get Netflix anymore either in the TV room where the other satellite is..

Does anyone know a better way to extend my wifi to the downstairs of my house?  I have wasted days trying to get this to work. Is there some way to diagnose what is wrong? Does this system simply break down easily?

At this point, I just want to find something that works. I don't understand most of what is written in these groups so telling me complicated things to do won't work. 

Any help is appreciated.

Geraldine

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

Message 15 of 29
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? 

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@agrince wrote:

Any help is appreciated.

Geraldine

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

Smiley Sad

Message 16 of 29
Accordatorepian
Initiate

Doesn't work,, RBR20 and RNS20  continuos  wifi disconnecting.

I have and external modem and Orbies are used only as a router access point and two satellites for first floor

Same home, same base & satellite positions but  using Fritzbox 1750 works perfectly.

Orbi guys you design a poor product , change FW if is it possible to recover or dismiss this kind of product !

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 17 of 29
Spud2599
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Glauman wrote:

This is nonsense that people who buy ORBI for it's ease of setup/use need to get these deep into setup to get their product to work. I'm not putting down @FURRYe38 as he gives great info...

Message 18 of 29
Rexjeep
Initiate

Well I am very disapointed to read your experience.  I am having the same issue.  I bought my Orbi and a satellite.  The set up was very easy and it worked perfect until 60 days after the warranty expired.  I have been on the phone for over six hours waiting for and talking to Technicians.  and paying the fee for support.   Don't bother to buy the support service becuase you can't fix failure.  They have sent me through channel changes complete system resets to the point that while i was able to connect one device after the last reset I can't even communicate with the router.  It turned in a total failure.   I am also looking for a more reliable system.  If anyone can recommend a more reliable system please do.

Disapointed with Netgear.  I have had very good produts in the past but this one soured me on NetGear.  Will also leave a review on Amazon where I purchased it.  

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 19 of 29
Mstrbig
Master

To all of you who are having issues with your Orbi setup:

My company installs several different brands of Mesh systems, with no issues whatsoever. They run smooth, have wide and fast WIFI and handle dozens of wired and wireless devices. 

The many brands of mesh systems are all pretty much the same and you won't find any brand that you will be happy with if it doesn't fit your environment, and it is not configured properly. It also doesn't matter what forum you go to, you will hear complaints from people, probably because they don't know how to configure the system properly or have faulty equipment.

Realistically if a mesh device is not defective, then the issue is usually, (not in any order), ISP modem issue, improper configuration settings, channel interference, cabling, network switches, 3rd party devices, 3rd party DNS server usage, Static Internet IP settings, brownouts, improper distancing of satellites, bad power supply, and more.

Some of the problems OP's blamed on the Orbi:

Slow all around internet - fix - cat5 cable connecting ISP modem to Orbi

Satellites show poor connection - fix- move them closer

Orbi router keeps flashing white - fix - hard reset

Can't reset Orbi router or satellite - fix - hard reset

Terrible coverage - need larger system for sq footage

No Internet - fix - Let your ISP dictate the IP address, Subnet Mask and Gateway unless you paid for a static IP.

There are many more I can list, but I hope you get my point. 

The Orbi system is one of the most reliable systems we use, and we install them more than any other brand. They are also more powerful than many other brands with faster speeds and faster backhaul channels. I personally came from a Velop system and was very happy. However I'm happier with the Orbi system because my WIFI speed is close to what I pay for, it handles my cameras way better, has more features and is all around more powerful.

And for those who may ask, NO I don't work for Netgear, nor have any affiliation with them. I just sell, recommend and install their product because it's that good.

Message 20 of 29
Wedgemoose
Aspirant

Here is the thing though Mstrbig, what some are saying.  and i am saying.  is it did work good and now it is not great. Or at least that it what is happeneing to me.   I am just here reading after googling and came upon this post.    I have had my Orbi setup for years.  even bought it for many as X-mas gifts telling them they will be so happy.  Mine was flawless for years.  No matter where i was in my house i had full bars on my phone.  but now all of a sudden it is not as great.   I am not as tech savy as the rest on here.   I am talking about watching you tube or Videos on twitter, etc.   Some stream and play flawlessly.  and then the next will lock up every two seconds.  some won't even load to play.   that never happened before.   it has always been great.  it is now Decemeber of 2020 and i want to say i noticed that is started getting crappy about 4 to 6 month ago.  i just lived with it.  the other day i was in the room with the main sattelite.  in the actual room.  And my wifi showed like 2 bars.   when 6 months ago i had full bars no matter where i was in my house.  I think i need some setting changed or something.  i just did normal setup years ago.  didn't manually change any settings or anything.  Buit again, it was perfect for years!!!    i do all the updates when they show up in the app.  i have had multiple computers and phones in the past 6 months and they all do the same.   so it is not them(or should not be them.  i have killer Charter internet. i pay big bucks for faster speed.  i have one of those Motorola Surfboard routers. Which i read are great?  .   

here is my setup.  i was wondering if i couild screeshot my settings and if anyone could look and tell me if i do have something wrong?  but you would have to tell me what tio screen shot.   

Message 21 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite
https://eyenetworks.no/en/wifi-signal-loss-by-material/

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings
Not seen on Orbi AX.

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...
You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

@Wedgemoose wrote:

Here is the thing though Mstrbig, what some are saying.  and i am saying.  is it did work good and now it is not great. Or at least that it what is happeneing to me.   I am just here reading after googling and came upon this post.    I have had my Orbi setup for years.  even bought it for many as X-mas gifts telling them they will be so happy.  Mine was flawless for years.  No matter where i was in my house i had full bars on my phone.  but now all of a sudden it is not as great.   I am not as tech savy as the rest on here.   I am talking about watching you tube or Videos on twitter, etc.   Some stream and play flawlessly.  and then the next will lock up every two seconds.  some won't even load to play.   that never happened before.   it has always been great.  it is now Decemeber of 2020 and i want to say i noticed that is started getting crappy about 4 to 6 month ago.  i just lived with it.  the other day i was in the room with the main sattelite.  in the actual room.  And my wifi showed like 2 bars.   when 6 months ago i had full bars no matter where i was in my house.  I think i need some setting changed or something.  i just did normal setup years ago.  didn't manually change any settings or anything.  Buit again, it was perfect for years!!!    i do all the updates when they show up in the app.  i have had multiple computers and phones in the past 6 months and they all do the same.   so it is not them(or should not be them.  i have killer Charter internet. i pay big bucks for faster speed.  i have one of those Motorola Surfboard routers. Which i read are great?  .   

here is my setup.  i was wondering if i couild screeshot my settings and if anyone could look and tell me if i do have something wrong?  but you would have to tell me what tio screen shot.   

Message 22 of 29
vajim
Master

Smiley Sad

Message 23 of 29
Sharenh3612
Aspirant

ORBI2
I got my unit for about 2 years then it dropped signals every 10 minutes. Tech support cost $79 for 6 months if the unit failed again, I have to pay another $79 or high cost for tech support again.
The high cost for Tech support is really unreasonable. It gives the company no responsibility to provide a high quality product but keep trapping people to pay for the product or the Customers services that the Company supposed to provide.
Message 24 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Sorry we can't do anything for NG support. 

Maybe try getting help from users here in the forums. 
Please make a new post and we'll try to help you out. 

Good Luck. 

@Sharenh3612 wrote:
ORBI2
I got my unit for about 2 years then it dropped signals every 10 minutes. Tech support cost $79 for 6 months if the unit failed again, I have to pay another $79 or high cost for tech support again.
The high cost for Tech support is really unreasonable. It gives the company no responsibility to provide a high quality product but keep trapping people to pay for the product or the Customers services that the Company supposed to provide.

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7