Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI Wifi speeds slow

Lylemats
Tutor

ORBI Wifi speeds slow

I have an ORBI RBR 50 and used to get 300 dl speeds over the air and the speed matched if i did it thru the app.  Recently the speed thru the app is still the same 200-300 dl but if i check the speed over the wifi it drops to 12-20.  Ive rebooted the system a number of times and the speed is still very slow.  Sometimes in single digits.  Help!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. This saves time if a reset is needed later on again. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
Mstrbig
Master

Are all devices having the same slow speed or just 1?

Has anything changed since this has started?

If nothing has changed, it could be channel interference, or the device that is having the issue. 

Message 2 of 10
Lylemats
Tutor

Aloha

unFortunately all devices show that speed. I checked with my MacBook. iPhone and all of our iPads. So maybe 8 devices   It used to work great. Not sure what changed. I haven't changed any settings. 

thanks

lyle

Message 3 of 10
ChloeJ
Initiate

I have the exact same issue. It just started last week. I had no issues prior. Were you able to resolve it?

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@Lylemats wrote:

I have an ORBI RBR 50 and used to get 300 dl speeds over the air and the speed matched if i did it thru the app.  Recently the speed thru the app is still the same 200-300 dl but if i check the speed over the wifi it drops to 12-20.  Ive rebooted the system a number of times and the speed is still very slow.  Sometimes in single digits.  Help!

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@ChloeJ wrote:

I have the exact same issue. It just started last week. I had no issues prior. Were you able to resolve it?

Message 6 of 10
Lylemats
Tutor

Aloha

i did a factory reset and speed came back.  Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier

thanks

lyle

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. This saves time if a reset is needed later on again. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10
ChloeJ
Initiate

I had already ensure mosted current firmware and reset the main and satellite and went through the setup again - that did not help. I had noticed my satellite connection was at 2.4GHZ, tried changing the channel for 5GHZ and that seemed to help - my issue was only devices connected to the satellite. So far so good.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements