Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI never worked, lower the speed from 300 to 13!!!

Aviw
Aspirant

ORBI never worked, lower the speed from 300 to 13!!!

Any idea how to make it work, or just go back to the grate Linksys?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is this speed test via wireless speed or wired? Wire speeds are preferred. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 7
Aviw
Aspirant

What Firmware version is currently loaded? Version V2.3.5.30

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? Optimum ARRIS TM-1602
Is this speed test via wireless speed or wired? Wired!

I did not change any settings, this is how it works out-of-the-box (or actually dose not work)

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you enable Armor or Cicle by chance? 

You might update to v16 on the RBS first then RBR lastly:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

then factory reset and setup from scratch. Power OFF the ISP Modem for 30 seconds then back on. Be sure to not enable Access Controls, Armor, Circle, QoS or Traffic Meter. Speed Test with a wired connection soon as the setup wizard is completed with Ooklas installable speed test app. Test with a 2nd PC to be sure. Ensure the network adapter is getting 1000Mbps connection rates on the adapter. 

Message 4 of 7
Aviw
Aspirant

I did all the above. now i'm getting 148/37 (WIRED) when i sepose to have 300. without the ORBI when connecting direct to modem I do get 300.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and RBR. CAT6 is recommended. 

If the speeds are nothing near 300Mbps, something I would contact NG support about. 

Message 6 of 7
Aviw
Aspirant

Thanks a lot for your help. It is a CAT6 cable and nothing near 300mbps.

I contact NG support and they ask me to pay $80 (on top of the over $400 I purchase it for) in order to make it work for the first time. ridiculous and disgusting. I may run a contest to give it free to a person who going to have this story shared with the most people on social network. I'll go back to my great amazing experience with Linksys products and service.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7