Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Obi mesh connection

Pylona
Aspirant

Obi mesh connection

I want to know how the Orbi communicates between the main box and the satellites.  is the mesh a separate ring with some sort of proprietary protocol - ie it does not use the main BW that the users will acess for connectivity?

Message 1 of 2

Re: Obi mesh connection

@Pylona wrote:

I want to know how the Orbi communicates between the main box and the satellites.  is the mesh a separate ring with some sort of proprietary protocol - ie it does not use the main BW that the users will acess for connectivity?

hi

at the present time the sats communicate back to the router only so the way its works is in a star type topology 

the sat and router communicate with a dedicated 5 gig 1733M wifi connection 

so think of the dedicated 5 gig backhaul a bit like an ethernet connection between the two

both orbi router and sat transmit both a 2.4 gig 400M and a 5 gig 867M connection for the clients using a single ssid for all transmissions

mesh type topology is not currently supported but is suggested it may in future firmware , however testing of other mesh systems suggest greater losses than the current star topology of the orbi system so if it does change i hope they make it a choice of star or mesh 

pete

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7