Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Odd Firmware Update Notifications

MitchStr
Tutor

Odd Firmware Update Notifications

I have recently begun receiving firmware update notifications for my RBR50 first and now my two satellites that seem odd to me. What is odd about them is the version number and the fact that the installed version number does not change after installing the update on a central router.
The current version number listed on the Netgear support website is 2.5.1.16 and is currently installed on all three of my Orbi units. Then suddenly I was notified by the Orbi app (v2.6.2.9) on my iPhone that firmware version 2.7.0.70 is now available.
I initially installed the update on my central router but nothing seemed to happen. The Installed version number was not updated, I could not find release notes for the new version, and I could not find that version number mentioned or listed anywhere online.
Two weeks have passed and now the Orbi iOS app is notifying me that a new firmware version is available for my two satellites with this same version number, 2.7.0.70.
This time it seemed odd and I am did not install the updates? When I log into the routers using the Orbi.login web interface, these updates are not mentioned.
Has anyone else seen this? Is some phishing the Orbi app to trick us into installing fake updates??
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

This is pretty common. You should either stay with 2.5.1.16 or update the satellites to the new firmware. At any rate make sure the router and satellites are on the same firmware. 

It's also good to update the satellites first. I am running a test system on the newest 2.7.70. I find it very stable with no issues. Yesterday the app was reporting eronious information. But today it seems to have settled in, as if the Orbi system needed time to adjust.

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Orbi firmware updates are (in my opinion) a "tangled mess".

The most recent firmware on the Netgear support site is indeed 2.5.1.16. (and that's where I am staying)

However.... some customers appear to have become aware of newer firmware and installed it.  Netgear appears to have reacted by informing them of "new firmware" via the Orbi app that depends on whether they have Disney Circle activated (or not).

Scan the forum for firmware 2.7.0.20 to see more comments.  It's just a mess.

Message 3 of 6
MitchStr
Tutor

Thanks. My first time on the Forum site.

I’ll look up that version (and no I do not have Disney Circle or Disney+ access) but mine says 2.7.0.70 not 2.7.0.20 (as you mentioned).
Message 4 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

@MitchStr wrote:
Thanks. My first time on the Forum site.

I’ll look up that version (and no I do not have Disney Circle or Disney+ access) but mine says 2.7.0.70 not 2.7.0.20 (as you mentioned).

Yes correct 2.7.0.70 is the latest that has been reported by users, saying they got a notification in the app. 

I decided to setup a system to test 2.7.0.70 since the thread talking about it has so much activity. Many have reported all sorts of issues. But most of them were probably because they didn't update them correctly and then reboot the satellites and router. 

I am 100% stable with the GUI and app reporting correctly.

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry about the typo.  My fingers sometimes just hit keys at random.

My practice has been based on these maxims:

• "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    I have one Orbi that remains on 2.3.5.30 (over a year old) and works great.
  • When new firmware appears, let "others rush in" and see what they report before even considering it.
    I waited over a month before updating to 2.5.1.8 and nearly a month before 2.5.1.16.
    Since the "big deal" of 2.7.0.70 appears to be a replacement for Disney Circle with a Netgear developed product, I am even more suspicious.
  • NEVER pay any attention to things the "app" recommends.  It was spawned by an evil creature.  Convenient for sure.  But nearly every post I see on the forum regarding the app is problems.

Wow - a Monday rant.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7