Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Odd problems when Hue bridge connected to RBS20 satellite vs RBR20 router

Loopy22
Tutor

Odd problems when Hue bridge connected to RBS20 satellite vs RBR20 router

I have a RBR20 + 2 RBS20 satellites. Firmware is the latest.

I wanted to move our Hue bridge to be closer to some outside lights as they are on the edge of the "Zigbee" range. So I connected the Hue bridge to one of our RBS20 satellites via ethernet ( the Hue Bridge must be wired into the network) and also moved the satellite to a new position. Well, things just went "south" after that. Hue and HomeKit seemed to lose all ability to communicate reliably. HomeKit would say Hue lights are on when they were off and so on. It seems that having the satellites+router too close to each other also causes other issues. Although the router showed a healthy and consistent 350Mpbs internet speed, any device near this satellite would get down to 20-30Mbps. And would jump from connecting to the satellite to connecting to the RBR20 router.

So I just moved the satellite to be further away from the main router and more equidistant to the other satellite and connected the Hue back to the RBR20 router and life was good again. Any explanation for this odd behavior?  Is having satellites too close to each other or the router a recipe for trouble?

Message 1 of 3

Re: Odd problems when Hue bridge connected to RBS20 satellite vs RBR20 router

@Loopy22 wrote:Is having satellites too close to each other or the router a recipe for trouble?

It can be.

I have a RBR20 + 2 RBS20 satellites. Firmware is the latest.

Famous last words. I've lost count of the number of people making that claim here only to find that they are wrong.

A number is more useful than "the latest". There may be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Message 2 of 3
Loopy22
Tutor

Re: Odd problems when Hue bridge connected to RBS20 satellite vs RBR20 router

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7