Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Optimal Settings For Router/Satelite as Access Points

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Optimal Settings For Router/Satelite as Access Points

I've had to setup my Orbi Router & Satelite as Access Points. I'm wondering which options I should have enabled/disabled in the WiFi advanced settings. For example:

- Enable 20/40Mhz Coexistence

- Enable Daisy-Chain Topology (heard this is only useful if you have more than 1 satelite)

- Enable Implicit BeamForming

- Enable Mu-Mimo

- Enable Fast Roaming

Most of the devices I have are IoT devices which typically will reside on the 2.4Ghz band. That said, I've had to manually telnet into the router and satelite to change the name of the 5Ghz SSID. Unfortunately, even after following the most recent instructions I've found online about commiting these changes to each and rebooting them, after 24-48 hours, the router/satelite seems to revert back to using one SSID for both bands which is beyond frustrating.

I'm very close to ditching these and going with an Asus ZenWifi system which would allow the separation of the bands while maintaining the mesh network.

Nevertheless, willing to give all of this one final try. Any feedback on the above would be appreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Optimal Settings For Router/Satelite as Access Points

Orbi seems to really want their customers to use a single, seamless wireless network with the same SSID for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.  There are **some** IoT devices that struggle to initially connect if the SSID is shared, but I believe after they're setup then they operate just fine with the shared SSID.  It's only the initial connect that's problematic and you don't need to keep the SSIDs separate continuously.  My home devices are running fine with a single SSID but I don't recall any of them requiring separation to initially connect to my wireless network.

Do you have IoT devices that after connection, don't work when there is a single SSID?  If you really want separate SSIDs then it might just be easiest to switch to a system that does support it.

Message 2 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

There are a few devices that don’t work well on the 5Ghz band. My nest camera and Sony Bravia TV are constantly disconnecting and reconnecting to the 5Ghz band. If I force them on the 2.4Ghz band my using the workaround in separating out the bands on the Orbi, they work without a hitch.

It really boggles my mind why they would prevent users from doing this. Give us the option.
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. Also try turning down the power out put of the RBRs 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz radios. Separation of SSIDs is not supported on any Orbi system. NG doesn't seem to want to support this. Users have been asking since Orbi came out. 

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain is not needed for just 1 RBS, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Retired_Member wrote:

I've had to setup my Orbi Router & Satelite as Access Points. I'm wondering which options I should have enabled/disabled in the WiFi advanced settings. For example:

- Enable 20/40Mhz Coexistence

- Enable Daisy-Chain Topology (heard this is only useful if you have more than 1 satelite)

- Enable Implicit BeamForming

- Enable Mu-Mimo

- Enable Fast Roaming

Most of the devices I have are IoT devices which typically will reside on the 2.4Ghz band. That said, I've had to manually telnet into the router and satelite to change the name of the 5Ghz SSID. Unfortunately, even after following the most recent instructions I've found online about commiting these changes to each and rebooting them, after 24-48 hours, the router/satelite seems to revert back to using one SSID for both bands which is beyond frustrating.

I'm very close to ditching these and going with an Asus ZenWifi system which would allow the separation of the bands while maintaining the mesh network.

Nevertheless, willing to give all of this one final try. Any feedback on the above would be appreciated.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7