× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orb125 what is involved with a factory reset

Schnox
Aspirant

Orb125 what is involved with a factory reset

We recently tried to log in to the Orbi app to update the latest firmware, but we cannot get logged in with admin.  For some reason neither our password nor security answers are working.   I know I can perform a factory reset, but I’m a bit of a technological idiot, and I’m afraid I won’t be able to reset everything that has been wiped. Does anyone know what all is involved?  Is it bad to just keep using the router without the updated firmware?

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orb125 what is involved with a factory reset

Depending on which firmware the Orbi has, it may be "just fine" to keep using it indefinitely.

If you perform a "factory reset" on the Orbi, several things will happen:

• Any configurations that have been made to the Orbi will disappear.
    i.e. it will be "wiped clean"
  • The WiFi network name, also called the SSID, will be set to the name that appears on the product label on the bottom of the Orbi.  My guess is is ORBI25, and you never changed it.
  • The WiFi password will be set to the password that appears on the product label on the bottom of the Orbi.  You may not have changed that, either.
  • The "administrative login" credentials will be set to:
    User Name: "admin"  (no quotes, and it cannot be changed)
    Password: "password" (no quotes, and it is a great idea to change it!)
  • The Orbi will be place in "router mode", which is probably the mode it was before.

Do the "factory reset", and the Orbi should work fine.  If you want to consider updating the firmware, the first step is to use a web browser to log into the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net) using "admin" and "password" and see which version of firmware is displayed on the Home Page.  This would be a great time to go through the setup and change the password.

You mentioned the security questions not working.  Each question is actually a "pull down" menu.  I have found that entering a response without "pulling" does not seem to record anything.  i.e. just because the top item is showing and you type something in, does not mean that Netgear records that you chose the top item.

Sorry if this is too long, or redundant.

Message 2 of 3
Schnox
Aspirant

Re: Orb125 what is involved with a factory reset

Not too long or redundant at all.  That was a wonderfully helpful response.  Thanks so much!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7