Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 2.4gHZ only when set to Auto

CAG61
Tutor

Orbi 2.4gHZ only when set to Auto

Recently I discovered that all of my 2.4 gHZ devices lost network connectivity.  

Checked the router and sure enough no 2.4 devices.

tried changing the channel, was set to 6.  No change

Factory reset, hate doing this.

2.4 works.

Change the channel from auto to 6, the empty channels.

2.4 turns off if seems.  checked with phone and network wifi app.  No 2.4

set it back to auto, wifi works.  problem is that auto chooses 1 which has other devices on it while 6 is empty.

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi 2.4gHZ only when set to Auto

What NetGear product are you referencing? 

Message 2 of 8
CAG61
Tutor

Sorry, the model didn't stick.  

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@CAG61 wrote:

Recently I discovered that all of my 2.4 gHZ devices lost network connectivity.  

Checked the router and sure enough no 2.4 devices.

tried changing the channel, was set to 6.  No change

Factory reset, hate doing this.

2.4 works.

Change the channel from auto to 6, the empty channels.

2.4 turns off if seems.  checked with phone and network wifi app.  No 2.4

set it back to auto, wifi works.  problem is that auto chooses 1 which has other devices on it while 6 is empty.

You do realize that your local traffic (neighbors and or other devices) on these channels will change from time to time.  The preferred setting is AUTO which makes use of the routers ability to figure out what's best, even when You're not looking.

Message 4 of 8
CAG61
Tutor

maybe that makes sense in the city, but I live in the country.  my nearest neighbor is over 500 feet away.  I don't even see their wifi.  So I am only dealing with my devices.  Also if Auto works, why choose a channel that has a device when the next doesn't?  Seems like they assumed all channels would have devices and to take the first one that meet a threshold.

Beside, selecting a channel used to work.  Why would Auto work and not selecting a channel?  Seems like a bug to me.

Message 5 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@CAG61 wrote:

maybe that makes sense in the city, but I live in the country.  my nearest neighbor is over 500 feet away.  I don't even see their wifi.  So I am only dealing with my devices.  Also if Auto works, why choose a channel that has a device when the next doesn't?  Seems like they assumed all channels would have devices and to take the first one that meet a threshold.

Beside, selecting a channel used to work.  Why would Auto work and not selecting a channel?  Seems like a bug to me.

Interesting points.  

You may want to consider what you haven't told us and that is, when did this become a problem?  Any changes to your network, i.e. FW, etc.  How long have you owned your Orbi?

You mentioned 'factory'(?) reset..??   That in itself can have a ripple of problems requiring time to allow things to settle down.

Message 6 of 8
CAG61
Tutor

I believe if you check the first post you will find the answers to your questions.  I have had the system for just over 2 years.

I hadn't made any changes to Orbi.  one evening we suddenly noticed that the security cameras (all at 2.4) no longer worked.  The ones that were hardwired did work, so it wasn't the camera software which is Blue Iris.

One weird thing which I forgot to mention is that the sattelite was connected on 2.4 but nothing else.  Odd because I thought the backhaul was always 5gHZ, but in researching I learned that it does failback to 2.4 if 5 is having issues.  Which it didn't seem to be as all of the 5gHZ devices were working find even those connected to the sattelite.

I tried switch the 2.4 off/on.  I don't recall if I tried setting it to auto, as I did't think that would have an effect.  To see if there was some issue with configuration/bad update, etc.  I did a backup and then did a factory reset.  After the reset I setup the router and things seem to all work including 2.4.  The sattelite still wanted to do 2.4 but after a while switched back to 5.  Then I restored the backup.  The 2.4 failed, as I set 2.4 to channel 6.  Confused, I tried Auto, thinking that won't make a difference, but it did.  So I am stuck using Auto.

When I can I will try switching back to channel 6 now that there have been several days since the reset.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 8
theoak
Luminary

Wild idea ... clear your browser cache, cookies, etc ... and then try again?

Your browser can cache certain parts of the web GUI and hence, the GUI could become unresponsive and/or you are trying to set parameter A to 1 but because of the cache it is setting it to 2 behind the scenes.

This is a bit of a pain, because you will lose all your search history, logins, etc.

Maybe you can try a different browser too.

It is a bit of a stretch ... but worth a shot.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7