Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi 6 - has anyone upgraded to this from Orbi 50

Dd852
Luminary

Orbi 6 - has anyone upgraded to this from Orbi 50

Wondering if any of you had upgraded from the Orbi 50 to the new WiFi 6 model. I’m tempted - but my head thinks I don’t really need it, although the little boy in me finds the extra power intriguing. I’d be interested in any real world experience.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Mstrbig
Master

@Dd852 wrote:
Wondering if any of you had upgraded from the Orbi 50 to the new WiFi 6 model. I’m tempted - but my head thinks I don’t really need it, although the little boy in me finds the extra power intriguing. I’d be interested in any real world experience.

WIFI 6 is a lot faster than WIFI 5 etc. With that said all your devices will have to support WIFI 6 in order to benefit from the faster throughput. Your older devices will not be faster and will not benefit from WIFI 6. A WIFI 6 router will not help your internet speed, unless your provider supports it. Speaking for my area, there is no support for WIFI 6 by my ISPs.

I'm not saying don't buy it, but unless you are willing to do a massive upgrade, there will be no benefit.

We have installed a few WIFI 6 mesh networks in office environments where all the PCs are connected wirelessly using WIFI 6 NICs. It is very fast and stable.

Message 2 of 4
AwesomeQA
Apprentice

I would say stick to RBR50, it is super fast and stable.
AX6000 isn’t stable as a router, but works ok with AP Mode, it has many issues in OS level.
Netgear works on launching AX WiFi 6E.
So wait for that.
Message 3 of 4
Jetdrive
Luminary

I would say stick with what you have now. The new wifi 6E routers will be out by the end of the year that provide an additional band for even more speed. If you buy just a wifi 6 router now, you'll kick yourself in the head for not waiting for wifi 6E.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7