Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AC 3000 (RBK53)

Retarmy07
Aspirant

Orbi AC 3000 (RBK53)

So I just bought the ORBI AC300 Tri-Band (RBK53) and was wondering if it is better to just use the Orbi in my house or as a AP to my netgear X4?  I do allot on the XBOX and my whole house runs on wi-fi, with the Orbi alone be able to support all this?

I am waiting for some recommendations before I touch the Orbi.

Model: C7500|Nighthawk X4-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi AC 3000 (RBK53)

Generally things go better to have only a single "router" in the network.  If the Orbi is to be the router, then the X4 serves no real purpose and can be removed.  (That would be my solution.  In addition, I would set up the Orbi with exactly the same WiFi name (SSID) and password as the X4 so that "going back" is a simple matter of unplugging one and plugging the other in.)

A lot depends on how the XBox is connected.  If it is over WiFi, then I would still retire the X4.  If the XBox is wired to the X4 and you are concerned about getting "high enough speed" from the Orbi, then the Orbi could be connected to the X4 and put into Access Point (AP) mode.

Either way, it is best to have one router and one WiFi network.  So, if you plug the Orbi into the X4, then WiFi on the X4 needs to be turned off.

Hope this helps

Message 2 of 3
Retarmy07
Aspirant

Re: Orbi AC 3000 (RBK53)

Crimpon,

Thanky you for the feedback, we shall see how this works.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7