Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router (RBR50v2) and RBK13

JMerryman
Aspirant

Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router (RBR50v2) and RBK13

Hi - I have an existing Orbi AC3000 system and picked up a new RBK13 system. I was hoping I could just use the satellites in the new system to extend the AC3000 system. Is this possible?

Message 1 of 12
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router (RBR50v2) and RBK13

Hello JMerryman,

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Yes, the RBR10 is capable of connecting to a maximum of six satellites with two in a daisy chain.

For more information about satellite compatibility please visit the link below:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062035/How-many-satellites-can-you-add-to-an-Orbi-WiFi-System

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 2 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

I believe the question was whether the RBS10 satellites will integrate with the RBS50v2 router.

My understanding is "no".

Message 3 of 12
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello CrimpOn,

The RBR10 and the RBR50 are compatible with the following Orbi AC Satellites -  RBS10, RBS20, RBW30, RBS40, RBS40V, RBS50, and RBS50Y. 

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

Message 4 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Perhaps I was confused by the Product Data Sheet which says the RBS10 requires an RBR10 (page 4):

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBS10.pdf 

I doubt that most customers would want to throw out an RBR50 with three user Ethernet ports in favor of an RBR10 which has only one.

(and satellites that can connect over Ethernet - which the RBS10s cannot.)

Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

@CrimpOn  I was under the assumption that the 10 series didn't integrate as well. But maybe it was added in at a later point because I was corrected on a post about this too.

@JMerryman Sadly, the 10 series satellites won't have the same performance as the triband satellites. Just something to keep in mind. And I'd be much less inclined to use them in a daisy chain setup because of lacking that dedicated backhaul. 

Message 6 of 12
JMerryman
Aspirant

Thanks for the feedback folks! I was able to get the RBK15 satellite setup (at close proximity) and then extended in the house. For the cheap price of 2 satellites it seems fair enough in relation to lower performance. Next to see if the router can be repurposed as satellite #3?

Message 7 of 12
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello JMerryman,

The Orbi router can not be used as a satellite. However, it can still be used as an Access Point. In this configuration, the router will not be integrated into your existing Orbi Mesh network. 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 8 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@plemans wrote:

@CrimpOn  I was under the assumption that the 10 series didn't integrate as well. But maybe it was added in at a later point because I was corrected on a post about this too.

Thanks.  Shame on me for believing Netgear's Product Data Sheet or the description on Amazon.

oh, well. I have looked stupid before.

Message 9 of 12
plemans
Guru

@CrimpOn wrote:

@plemans wrote:

Thanks.  Shame on me for believing Netgear's Product Data Sheet or the description on Amazon.

oh, well. I have looked stupid before.

You're not alone. For the longest time I didn't think they worked together until I was corrected by a mod. Its just like the one AX kit where they use a triband router but dual band satellites. Makes me wonder if they've made a way for the dual band satellites to connect to the wireless backhaul of if its connecting to the fronthaul or whats actually going on behind the scenes. topic for another conversation but seems if that is the case, it'd be good to know as the satellites would maintain higher speeds than just the dual bands alone. 

Message 10 of 12
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @plemans and @CrimpOn,

I looked through the information from the link that was posted. The information provided is to inform customers that the Orbi satellite will not be functional without the Orbi router.

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 11 of 12
JMerryman
Aspirant

Yep, good advice. I got one satelitte to work and the router as an AP, and the 2nd satellite fails to cooperate. Was worth the trouble for my funky setup but for the non-tech or impatient user it would not be worth the trouble. Awesome forum -thanks all! 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7