Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi AC3000 system constantly dropping Wifi

FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, try the ISP modems wifi disabled first to see if this helps with the dropping of WiFi on the Orbi. I believe it may.

A reset sometimes is needed as a troubleshooting step. Sometimes newer FW udpates cause problems in pre-existing configurations that become incompatible with newer FW code. Thus a reset maybe needed if users are experienceing problems after a FW update. To save a configuration of the RBR, you can use the backup feature under Advanced tab/Administration/Backup. This will save your current configuration to file for save keeping and saves time. Nothing is saved to the cloud. 

Let us know how it goes. 

@PaulInSF wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've kept the xFi WIFI going since it's sometimes the only working WIFI in the house but will turn it off to test.

When you say do a reset on the router, do you mean the Orbi or the xFi?  If I reset, won't i have to reenter all these details again, or does Orbi store the Orbi ones in the cloud ?

Thanks!

Message 26 of 34
Macroman
Aspirant

I also had the Orbi AC3000 mesh system which dropped out daily for very short periods but very frustrating had to return it and bought a TP-Link Deco X60 which is superb and very stable. Would never buy Netgear Orbi system again. Looking at the different forums this has been happening for years and never been sorted by Netgear

Message 27 of 34
PaulInSF
Aspirant

It’s too bad. I really wanted to like it. I just bought 6 months ago another extender so now have 3. It still doesn’t cover the house and the drop outs drive us all mad. Additionally thought it’s the compatibility with other home automation. Blink cameras won’t work with Orbi. I’m likely going to get xFi pods from xfinity and junk the Orbi system. Big waste.
Message 28 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? Please let us know. 

@PaulInSF wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've kept the xFi WIFI going since it's sometimes the only working WIFI in the house but will turn it off to test.

When you say do a reset on the router, do you mean the Orbi or the xFi?  If I reset, won't i have to reenter all these details again, or does Orbi store the Orbi ones in the cloud ?

Thanks!

Message 29 of 34
cyberprashant
Luminary

the SQ Ft range is way over-rated - maybe that works for a open banquet style hall.  I'm using 4 satellites + base across a house ~4000 sq feet one story but lots of walls and getting a solid roaming mesh connection all the way thru (I bought 2 x RBK53 to do this and just use the satellites on the second kit - but there is a way now someone has found to convert RBR50 to RBS50 using telnet commands - u can google that on your own).  When I first bought Orbi I had stability issues, but it's come a long way - FW 2.5.1.16 as of this post.    I don't have neighbors close by but that could be the big advantage (no interference).  I have CAT 5 so I can use ethernet backhaul or NOT - it seems to actually not make a big difference.  On Wifi I can get 200-300-400 Mbps speeds (on a 1g Fiber connection).   AC 3000 (RBK50).  On the hardwired satellites I'm getting full speed 940 Mbps hardwired to the ethernet ports.  

I don't use AP mode - I'd rather it NAT and create a separate subnet - I found that this is actually MORE stable for me than trying to bridge to the cable or fiber modem - (I don't game, but I do have ring cameras, Alexa, Nest with no issues).   So my cable modem is 192.168.100.xx and my orbi wifi network is all 192.168.1.x and that presents no issue for me (i know people say u shouldn't do that but I experience no problems and I've been doing this for several years setup like this).  Turn off the cable modem wifi - u dont need more wifi congestion.  

Settings I'm using:  Automatic for the channel settings 

Advanced - advanced setup - wireless settings

All the following OFF:   20/40 Coexistence (NOT checked) -- this I found DID make a difference in my old house where I had too much wifi interference leaving it checked (ON) made my signal range worse. 

All the following ON:

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO
Enable Fast Roaming
Enable Daisy-Chain Topology
Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings
Enable SSID Broadcast

I leave the power settings at default 100%

So bottom line I think - u need more satellities than u think - the range isn't that good esp thru walls - but the speeds are awesome with the right number of satellites.

Message 30 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Distance, size and building materials are important. Concrete and steel will impact wifi travel. 

5000sq ft size home two story with basement works for my 1 RBR50 and 1 RBS50. 

Message 31 of 34
bjvinton
Aspirant

I have the exact same problem.  The router is dropping wifi on both PC and Apple products even when right next to the router.  Very frustrating.  I tried upgrading the firmware.  that did not help at all.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 32 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 

@bjvinton wrote:

I have the exact same problem.  The router is dropping wifi on both PC and Apple products even when right next to the router.  Very frustrating.  I tried upgrading the firmware.  that did not help at all.

Message 33 of 34
Mstrbig
Master

On http://orbilogin.com/

Go to Advanced/Administration/Backup settings, and backup current settings to a file. If you have to perform a factory reset, when you are finished setting up, you can restore that saved file, using the restore function, on above mentioned page. . 

Message 34 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7