Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi AC3000 - trying to determine if another satellite will help or not ...?

eroxx
Aspirant

Orbi AC3000 - trying to determine if another satellite will help or not ...?

I got an Orbi AC3000 with one satellite a few days ago, and I’m (so far) very happy with it.

One question:

I have a basement with a good deal of internet-connected devices. Other than my main computer, it also has a lot of smart devices (lights, AC, plugs, etc).

It *IS* getting internet from the level above it, but I was wondering if I added a satellite to the basement (it would essentially be directly below the main router), if that would help, or if it would possibly actually hurt? Thank you!!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi AC3000 - trying to determine if another satellite will help or not ...?

How many square footage are you covering?

Orbi recommends a minimum of 30 foot between device (router/satellite) so if you're closer than that, you'll probably have issues. 

Are you having problems or just trying to optimize. 

Message 2 of 4
eroxx
Aspirant

Just trying to optimize. I don’t know if it will clear up bandwith for all my basement things to be connected to one satellite, and everything else to another.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

I would try it and see how it goes. If you have 2 satellites to close to each other, it'll create more problems than it solves. IoT devices don't tend to broadcast a whole lot or use much data. Plus they tend to be 2.4ghz based so your high bandwidth devices tend to stay on the 5ghz. 

If you try it and it doesn't work, then try adding a satellite. Or buy (or reuse an old router) a cheap single band router that can act in access point mode, wire it to the orbi, set its channel different than the orbi, and just use that for your IoT devices. 

i've got about 15-20 IoT devices on my orbi without issues while running 20+ regular devices. I can sympathize with optimizing though as I've redone my network repeatedly just to optimize and have fun. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7