Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AP mode as wifi->Lan adapter

bigfurrymonster
Follower

Orbi AP mode as wifi->Lan adapter

Hi, my internet at home is broken and I m using my smartphone wifi tethering as a backup.
I have a device that can only connect through a lan port.

I d like to setup my Orbi as an AP where the input is a wifi signal from a device connected to the internet and the output is internet on the lan ports.

Is this possible?
I know the default AP mode does the opposite of what I want (lan input from a device with internet to wifi output)
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi AP mode as wifi->Lan adapter

@bigfurrymonster wrote:
I d like to setup my Orbi as an AP where the input is a wifi signal from a device connected to the internet and the output is internet on the lan ports.
Is this possible?
I know the default AP mode does the opposite of what I want (lan input from a device with internet to wifi output)

You understand correctly.  The Orbi, and every other WiFi router I am aware of, is designed to get internet through an ethernet connection, not a WiFi connection.

The only viable solution is to get internet access that provides an ethernet connection, such as an LTE modem, cable modem, fiber ONT, etc.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7