Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Connection glitch

loomis1975
Luminary

Orbi Connection glitch

Ran into my first issue with the Orbi.  Some devices appear to be disconnecting and reconnecting rapidly to the Orbi's SSID.  My wife first reported it on her programming laptop yesterday morning, in the same room as the router, so I'm guessing it isn't related to trying to auto switch from Router to Satellite for a better signal, but I guess can't rule it out.  This laptop was using the 2.4 ghz, which is under the same SSID name as the 5 ghz.

Then yesterday night, we were having trouble with a Nexus Player playing stuff from the TV/Antenna Recording device over the Wifi.  When I went to the Wifi setup on the Nexus Player, I watched as the 5 ghz SSID disconnected, then reconnected, like 3 times in 2 minutes.  We turned on the Xbox One to watch something on Amazon Prime Video or Netflix, and had problems too.  Went to the Network setup page and watched again as it showed it was connected to the SSID (couldn't tell if it was in 5 ghz or 2.4 ghz, I think Xbox One does either), then disconnected, then connected again.

I rebooted the Orbi via the router login after rebooting the cable modem.  I wasn't sure if that reboots the Satellite or not, so I went up stairs and manually rebooted the Satellite.

The problem persisted.

Here is how it shows up in the log on the Orbi (from today):

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.6] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x1, Wednesday, September 21, 2016 17:20:54
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.6] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x1, Wednesday, September 21, 2016 17:19:15
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.6] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x1, Wednesday, September 21, 2016 17:18:51

and

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.6] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x1, Wednesday, September 21, 2016 17:04:59
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.6] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x1, Wednesday, September 21, 2016 17:04:55
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.6] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x1, Wednesday, September 21, 2016 17:00:27

and

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.8] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x2, Wednesday, September 21, 2016 11:05:05
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.8] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x2, Wednesday, September 21, 2016 11:02:52
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.8] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x2, Wednesday, September 21, 2016 11:00:39
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.8] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x2, Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:58:26
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.8] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x2, Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:56:12
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.8] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x2, Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:54:00
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.8] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x2, Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:51:07
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.8] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x2, Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:48:53
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.8] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x2, Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:46:40
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.8] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x2, Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:44:16
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.8] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x2, Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:41:08
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.14] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x3, Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:39:15
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.8] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x2, Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:38:20
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.8] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x2, Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:38:19
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.8] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x2, Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:38:18

The objects having the most issues have both reserved IPs like the 192.168.1.8, and unreserved LAN IPs.  They appear to be operating on both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz.  They include Xbox One, Nexus Player, Amazon Fire HD Tablet, Lenovo Laptop with 2.4 ghz wireless, and a few I haven't chased down the MAC addresses too yet.  Several computers we haven't noticed a problem with, most notably a Macbook Pro circa 2012 I think it is, an IPAD Air, A Dell Latitude laptop that only uses 2.4 ghz.

Not sure what to try at this point.  The Wife (who is a programmer) Approval Factor has taken a hit.

Message 1 of 11
loomis1975
Luminary

Support suggested changing 2.4 Ghz channel from Auto to 6, and 5 Ghz channel from 48 to 40.  Just sounds like general troubleshooting so far.  We will see if that improves anything.

Message 2 of 11
th3w01f
Apprentice

I'm seeing simillar items in my log.  Any improvement with the changes that support suggested?

Message 3 of 11
loomis1975
Luminary

Ended up changing to 2.4 Ghz to channel 1 after looking at SSID Analyzer, but it wasn't very congested at 6 to begin with.

Looking at the log, I have 3 internet connected messagess, and just a ton of the ones with the most DHCP IP reconnects in the last day are my Windows 10 Mobile phone, and an Ipad Air.  The windows 10 mobile seems to always show up under the Router Connection no matter where the phone physically is.  My work phone (android) is sitting on the desk here 2 feet from the windows phone and it is showing up (properly) under the Satellite Connection.

The Ipad is more curious as it is mostly not being used and sitting in the charging area for very long amounts of time, and the charging area is not very far from the satellite location.  It never shows up on the attached devices list when I look, so its like it is "checking in" and then disconnecting or something.  I will actually go turn it on and check its wireless settings and see if I can watch a video with it, and make it attach to the network.

Message 4 of 11
Jonnym
Star

Hi there. I've encountered a very similar if not identical issue. Did either of you guys find a fix? Very grateful for any help... driving me nuts!
Message 5 of 11
loomis1975
Luminary

As the firmwares changed through Fall I had less of those messages in the logs, but they never went away (some messages are valid, when devices go to sleep, move around the house, etc).  My actual noticeable internet connection drops on devices went way down, so the issue was less noticeable, so it kind of faded into the background.

I haven't had the Orbi RBK50 kit hooked for a week or two as I am testing a few other things at the moment.  If I hook it back up and use it for a bit I will report back.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 6 of 11
JMU1998
Luminary

I went back to 1.4.0.16 with a factory reset, I believe this has been brought to Engineering attention as this issue started in 1.4.0.18 and persist in 1.4.0.34 as well but not as often but enough times to be frustrating. hopefully next Firmware will address this.

Message 7 of 11
Jonnym
Star

Thanks. If you do manage to hook the Orbi back up, I'd be very interested in an update. 

Message 8 of 11
Jonnym
Star

Thanks. So, after reading through all the related posts on Orbi connectivity issues (esp this one: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Intermittent-internet-connectivity-outage-with-Orbi/m-p/114471...) I tried two things last night:

*Moving the satellite further away from the router (pretty marginal tbh, perhaps 10 feet. Still connects with a solid blue);

*Performed a factory reset on the Orbi router (although the Orbi 'remembers' the newest FW 1.4.0.34. I haven't tried rolling back to the previous FW, and won't unless my new found fix fails).

And... So far, so good. The router login page no longer intermittently displays 'Orbi router error not connected' to the internet, and the continuous 'micro wi-fi drops' (that's my terminology - continually dropping/picking up wi-fi connection on certain devices) seems to have stopped. In an ideal world, I would have performed the two steps outlined above sequentially (I have a toddler, so time messing with this stuff is limited 🙂 so I can't be certain which step, or a combination of two, is responsible. My gut feeling is the factory reset.

Time will tell, and I'll keep you posted. I really hope this continues to work for me. This issue aside, the Orbi is the closest to the ideal wi-fi set up I've tried so far.

Message 9 of 11
ShadeShiner
Initiate

I guess it's too early to ask if you have been experiencing any disconnects lately, but I have been dealing with this issue for the last couple of weeks and I almost had enough of it and want to return the routers. I have done multiple resets on both the modem and Orbi routers, through power and from the browser and smartphone application for my modem. I haved moved the routers closer and farther, I have changed the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channel multiple times, and forced refresh the NAT table by disabling UPnP and rebooting the devices. I don't want to even  bother to downgrade firmware so I can't possibly believe that can even help. In writing this post, my Xbox One has disconnected from Xbox Live around 10 times in a span of about 15 minutes and that is just unacceptable. I need the extra range and I despise having to attempt to exchange or return them since I purchased them through Amazon.

Message 10 of 11
Jonnym
Star

I feel your pain, and wish there was something else I could suggest. Reading your post, though, you seem to have covered the bases in terms of the variouis fixes that I've come across in  the forums. One thing: have you tried disabling 'implicit beam forming' (if enabled). Seems to help some people.

My set up still seems stable following the facrory reset. The 'internet not connected' glitch has certainly disappeared, and the 'micro drops' (my term) have definitely improved. I'm still getting a lot of DHCP IP entries on the log and, I've just notcied, multiple DOS attack entries. Better go investigate..!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7