Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi DHCP static IP assignment failing for some devices

sfsdfd
Star

Orbi DHCP static IP assignment failing for some devices

Okay, this one's pretty easy.

I have an Orbi RBK50 and a couple of satellites. I rely extensively on DHCP to assign IP addressed to known MACs. I have literally 60 devices on my network, from a huge variety of vendors - nearly all of them work fine... but some just don't.

I've got a Raspberry Pi Zero W that's configured to retrieve a DHCP address via WiFi. I can see this mapping in my LAN Setup table:

192.168.0.x: (device name) --> AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF

...yet, whenever I connect the device, it gets IP address 192.168.0.y. And I see this record in the Orbi log:

[DHCP IP: 192.168.0.y] to MAC address aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff, Thursday, December 07, 2017 12:00:01

I'd chalk it up to a MAC uppercase/lowercase issue (I prefer to keep my entries as uppercase, just for aesthetic reasons), but (1) I've trued changing the DHCP table entry to lowercase, and it fix the problem; and (2) other entries have uppercase table assignments but report lowercase MACs, yet don't have any problem assigning the correct IP address.

So... going on here?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 2
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi DHCP static IP assignment failing for some devices

I, too, use DHCP assignments to known devices and I've noticed similar anomolies like the ones you mention. However, after a reboot of the router and satellite the DHCP assignment returns to the correct IP address. (Note: It takes a long time for the values to show up after a reboot–be patient!) For me, MACs appear not to be case sensitive but I also prefer to use uppercase when entering new addresses. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7