Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Dropping Internet

SCMrEason
Guide

Orbi Dropping Internet

Somebody out there probably needs this solution. Maybe this post will be easier than my original post for someone else to find. Much thanks to @CrimpOn for posting it to my question ten days ago. Until this problem began, my Orbi had worked without interuption for five months (excluding weather related). When the problem began, I was rebooting Orbi router 8-10 times per day in order to reconnect the internet.

"There is a horrible situation that started with the change in Daylight Saving Time that causes certain Orbi RBR50 routers to stop resolving Domain Names until they are restarted.  Netgear engineers have traced the problem to a coding error in the Traffic Meter feature. Looks like there is abolutely no chance Netgear will release a firmware fix before April, so the easiest solution is to go into the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Traffic Meter (toward the bottom of the menu) and uncheck "Enable Traffic Meter" and Apply." - @CrimpOn 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Dropping Internet

You can ask the forum moderator for a beta if you like thats being offered. 

@SCMrEason wrote:

Somebody out there probably needs this solution. Maybe this post will be easier than my original post for someone else to find. Much thanks to @CrimpOn for posting it to my question ten days ago. Until this problem began, my Orbi had worked without interuption for five months (excluding weather related). When the problem began, I was rebooting Orbi router 8-10 times per day in order to reconnect the internet.

"There is a horrible situation that started with the change in Daylight Saving Time that causes certain Orbi RBR50 routers to stop resolving Domain Names until they are restarted.  Netgear engineers have traced the problem to a coding error in the Traffic Meter feature. Looks like there is abolutely no chance Netgear will release a firmware fix before April, so the easiest solution is to go into the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Traffic Meter (toward the bottom of the menu) and uncheck "Enable Traffic Meter" and Apply." - @CrimpOn 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
vajim
Master

Thanks for the reminder.

The sad part is that version 2.7.2.104 is still available for download.  For the uninformed this could lead to hours of frustration.

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@SCMrEason wrote:

Message 3 of 8
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

did this problem also effect the wifi6 folks?

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

No.

Message 5 of 8
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

No.

Thank youSmiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
tak1313
Luminary

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi AC is effected by Traffic Meter. Something that doesn't effect Orbi AC. And NG has already acknowledged this probem is with in Traffic Meter. And confirmed by users here in the Orbi AC forum that when TM is disabled, solved the problem for them. 

NG also has a beta avialble for the 50 series Orbi system for those who want to try it that is supposed to fix the TM issue. 

@tak1313 wrote:

From the AX forum

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Intermittent-DNS-Errors-and-WiFi-Issues/td-p/1950768

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7