Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Dropping VPN Connection

saw676
Tutor

Orbi Dropping VPN Connection

I recently setup the Orbi in my home and I am experiencing frequent VPN drops on my work computer.  I am using the Cisco AnyConnect software for the VPN login.  I am assuming that the Orbi may be attempting to connect back and forth between the 2.4 and 5 ghz connections causing the VPN connection to drop.  Has anyone else experienced this and what can I do to resolve?  I am not a networking expert by any means, and my setup was completed based on the base Orbi settings.  This is severely impacting my ability to work efficiently from home.  Thanks!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 18

hi so are you wandering about the house with a wifi client that has vpn connected ? as if so that in its self will cause the vpn connection to drop as the client device moves from sat

to router etc

Message 2 of 18
saw676
Tutor

I am stationary in the same room as the satellite and the connection is dropping.  Is it possible that my connection is going back and forth between the satellite and router?  The router is in the basement below me, so I would think the connection would stay on the satellite which is 10 feet away.

Message 3 of 18

get something like inssider app and test the signal and see how much overlap there is

Message 4 of 18
MarkC1024
Luminary

I got mine setup yesterday and no issues maintaining VPN with Anyconnect.  Pricey, but I'm liking this system.  Considerably better performance and range than my previous Airport setup with 2 extenders.  I work from home and need to have a reliable connection.

Message 5 of 18
mj55
Initiate

Same issue.  Orbi firmware is up to date.  I'm using Cisco AnyConnect on Windows with ethernet to router which makes me think it's not specifically related to wifi.

Message 6 of 18
DESIi1
Star

Re: Orbi Dropping VPN Connection and Webcams

My system is dropping the webcams, I can see the WiFi signal dropping to zero on both the Router and the Satellites using the Acrylic WiFi analysis program on my desktop.  There seems to be a definite stability problem looking for a Firmware update.

Message 7 of 18
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Desli1

Have you tried to disable beamforming in the advanced wireless settings?

DarrenM

Message 8 of 18
saw676
Tutor

I confirmed on my work PC that it only supports 2.4 gHz.  Because of this, the only thing I can think of that is causing the drop would be if it is switching from the router to the satellite and vice versa.  Is there any way to assign a device specific to either the satellite or router?  I do not know why it would continue to bounce back and forth if I am not moving around.  This happens several times a day.  I do notice when I am joining a Skype call or using more bandwidth, it happend more often.  Anyone have any other ideas to resolve?

Message 9 of 18
saw676
Tutor

Anyone from Netgear care to respond on this issue?  I was disconnected from my VPN 4 times in a 15 minute window this morning.  I also had my work replace the wireless card on my laptop just in case it was a PC issue.  I am quickly losing patience with a $400 product.  I did not experience drops with the Asus router I replaced with this.  Please help!!!!

Message 10 of 18
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Saw676

There is no way to assign a device to stay on just one satellite you may want to try and re position the satellite unit to see if it will eliminate the bouncing back and forth.

DarrenM

Message 11 of 18
pappsi1209
Initiate

After several frustrating weeks, I can confirm that this is an issue with the Orbi. I am also using the Cisco AnyConnect software from work and the minute I log in via VPN, internet drops. So much so that it sometimes reboots my modem. I did not want to switch to AP mode as some mentioned that this might resolve the issue; however, I plugged in a switch and connected my work laptop hardwired, and VPN works. Anyway, I have decided to return the orbi for the Amplify HD system. I just cannot sit and wait for Netgear to fix this issues as it's evident that this problem hasn't been resolved for a while.

Message 12 of 18
blortz
Aspirant

Vpn works fine when wired to AP., not on Wifi. worked fine on my Nighthawk R7000. This has to do with the handoff between APs this should be fixed in an update. I never lose connection on my laptop or anything on my network when the VPN drops. Any ETA
Thank you

Message 13 of 18
blortz
Aspirant

Vpn works fine when wired to AP., not on Wifi. worked fine on my Nighthawk R7000. This has to do with the handoff between APs this should be fixed in an update. I never lose connection on my laptop or anything on my network when the VPN drops. Any ETA
Thank you

Message 14 of 18
JeffParker
Tutor

I'm having the same issue where the VPN drops/reconnects. The drop/reconn. lasts 10-20 secs but causes major issues as I have to reconnect everything on work laptop!! The Laptop supports 2.4GHz....

Planning on returning the Orbi if there's no fix...

Any ideas? Could it be the 2.4ghx channel (set to auto)?

Message 15 of 18
Maytag21
Initiate

Possibly SOLVED!
Picked up an ORBI AC2200 for my roughly 1700sf single story home built ~1970. Our Xfinity router is in a home office located in the farthest corner of the house. I've been struggling getting stable wifi coverage to our family rm, living me & kitchen for 15+ yrs and think the ORBI has finally solved our problems. A little over a yr ago the only fast WiFi solution I found for the family rm is MOCA2 Coax adapters connected to an Access Point setup with a separate SSID. This setup is reliable and fast but the annoying part about this setup is we would have to manually switch all our devices between 2 SSID's depending on what part of the house we were in. Once I installed the ORBI Router and Satellite using the quick install guide with all default settings we have FULL WiFi bars throughout the entire house now. BUT...

The first morning my wife logged into her work VPN she noticed her laptop's VPN connection kept logging her off (2-3 events per hour) even though her internet connection was solid (and super fast btw). So I jumped on the net to see if anybody has posted similar ORBI-VPN issues and sure enough I found out some ORBI purchasers were frustrated and angry about their VPN woes. Some have even decided to return their ORBIs opting to go with one of the several ORBI competitors. Well that's unfortunate because I think I've found the working solution. As I'm typing this my wife has been VPN'd into work for a little over 3hrs straight and not a single drop off. So it appears I've found the proper settings to hopefully cure the external work VPN issues with the ORBI. This is what was done:

>Disabled UPnP on ORBI
>Disabled DHCP and created Static IP on ORBI
>Reserved IP for ORBI on Xfinity Router
>Set DMZ for ORBI's IP address
Other ORBI settings:
> 20/40 Coexistence: ON
>Beamforming: OFF
> Daisychain Topology: ON
>MU-MIMO: OFF
> Fast Roaming: OFF
> Saved configs. Power cycled Xfinity Router, ORBI Router then ORBI Satellite

Hope this works for others. -Happy Holidays!
Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 16 of 18
pappsi1209
Initiate

Great it worked out for you; however, that is not a solution. It's a work around. Since I returend the Orbi, I purchased the Ubiquity Amplify - https://www.amplifi.com/

This works and I have coverage. We shouldn't be working around issues for Netgear. They need to fix this. 

Message 17 of 18
DESIi1
Star

My router quit working altogether- I gave up and purchased the Samsung system, painless so far after several weeks.  I have a new router now if anyone wants to make an offer.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7